New school gaming. Is Anyone going all digital or still buying physical games?

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Steam and origin only, I have enough "classic" clutter laying around that I need to sell off and digital is usually purchased at 1/3 of the cost.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I am full in on Steam, but I still buy physical games for PC. I won't buy a game on Steam that is not designed for 16:9 or I have physical already, unless it is really cheap. I do not play modern consoles.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Digital if it's on sale. Not paying $40-60 for an intangible game. $5 is fine.

Amazon has so much shit sub $20 for physical shit that it's stupid not to just get something you can actually own. It's not just about putting shit on the shelf either.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'm indifferent at this point.

If I have an option, then I'll buy physical but am not opposed to digital either.

I just feel that with every generation physical games drop so quickly in price (at least for PS4 and Xbone)...it seems like within a couple of weeks of release you can get a game for like $40 or $30. You factor in BB's GCU discount and current gen stuff usually ends up being way cheaper on disc than digital.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Digital only so far, but that's because almost all the games I want to play don't have physical on PS4 (Garegga, Thumper, Bound, Inside, Let it Die, Resogun, etc)

I might get the physical REZ Infinite though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
PC- digital only.

I still try to go physical for the rest, but this is purely for old man collectard selfish reasons. It's completely pointless.

A frequent argument for physical is people that want to play the games when the servers go down. The problem with this is the games are often unplayable without patches. You wont be able to play these games when the servers go down either way.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I do a hybrid of digital and physical.

Basically for me to buy digital on the Xbox One, the pricing point for the item needs to be below $25 for me to bite...usually. I think the most I've spent on a digital purchase is $30. XBL deals/sales are when I buy digital. I will not pay MSRP for digital games as there is no reason the pricing should be the same as the physical copy when there is no cost to the company for a digital copy outside of development and marketing. I rarely sell games, but I do like having the physical copies for display purposes. I also don't buy new releases very much since things seem to be discounted at a much quicker rate than ever, so I am more than okay holding out for physical copy price drops, which are often more likely to occur than with digital copies. Digital copies on XBL/PSN lag behind their physical counterparts when pricing begins to drop.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
PC- digital only.

I still try to go physical for the rest, but this is purely for old man collectard selfish reasons. It's completely pointless.

A frequent argument for physical is people that want to play the games when the servers go down. The problem with this is the games are often unplayable without patches. You wont be able to play these games when the servers go down either way.

At least there will always be piracy.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I buy everything I can on Steam and everything EA and MSFT won't let me buy on Steam on Origin and Windows 10, respectively. I use Sony Rewards points to get digital versions of everything I want on the PlayStation ecosystem. The only new physical games I buy are Nintendo's, because it's 2017, and they still haven't figured out the internet or DRM.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Transitioning to Digital Only.

Games are disposable entertainment for me. I don't often revisit the classics. I've mostly been doing online gaming of late - PvE and PvP.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
Fully digital on PC, consoles mostly digital. I'll pick up stuff physical when it's cheap or some 40% used sale at Gamestop or something. I haven't really sold off old stuff in quite awhile, so digital works. I mostly play multiplayer stuff which is usually dead after a few years and worth nothing later. With every console being hacked to shit and getting flash carts and disk drive emulators. I'll leave the fancy gaming setups and shelves to the Martha Stewart's on instagram.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I don't buy anything digital unless it's DRM free, like with GOG or some of the Humble Bundle stuff. I like physical media. Give me cartridges, game discs, Laserdiscs, vinyl records, books, comics, Blu Rays, etc.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
My interest in gaming will die with digital only unless they sharply reduce the prices. Physical for me, I like to own stuff, not be lied to with 'BUY' buttons which really means 'lease/rent.' I rarely if ever buy games on consoles/handhelds because of that. On PC though I use GoG almost entirely, Steam if need be otherwise because with GoG you can back it up and control it, Steam there's ways if you want too despite their DRM.

I find I won't spend over $5 on a download except in a few rare cases for stuff like android/ios and closed consoles. Shelf space management shouldn't be an issue if you're not hoarding a 1000 games. Something as small as 3-400 of them can fit into just a few little shelves, less if you're into small things like Gameboy.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I usually get digital stuff when it's either on sale or the only option. I'd rather physical software whenever possible. I think a lot of old timers feel like that simply because it's what we're used to.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am all in on PC gaming for Origin, Battle.net and Steam. I own physical obviously for MVS games.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I prefer a physical copy but I'll buy digital releases here and there.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
You beat me to it. He must have them stacked on top of one another.

Small space being subjective ofc, if you have a custom built shelf you don't have to stack. If you have the typical shit tier walmart shelfs, get to modding them and you will be amazed how much more you can fit.

In any case I don't see the benefit of going digital only.

+ can resell a game if you don't like
+ tangible item
+ if your console breaks years down the road or services go offline, you can be hosed potentially. We have already seen this happen with indie and Xbox live Arcade releases.
+ prices usually aren't better than the physical copy from what i've seen and usually never go on sale

With that said the only benefit I see is that you either don't have space for the item in question or don't want to get off your bum and put the disc in. By buying digital you put the rights of the game you have (not own which is a misconception) to get screwed over down the road as they have no incentive to keep the download up thanks to the handy dandy terms of service.

Last edited:

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I still buy physical 99% of the time. I only play consoles/handhelds, so no Steam account or anything like that. Physical sales are also way cheaper than digital sales, plus you can resell it when you are done. A lot of the download-only games and indie games look like shit to me and I have little to no interest in ever buying those.