Remapping Buttons on a Neo Geo CD Controller?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
If I buy a neo geo CD controller, am I stuck with the default button layout? I really love the thing, but if there's no way to remap the controls to make C shoot & A jump in Metal Slug, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Is my best bet one of those NEO-GEO to PS1 adapters? I want to use original hardware if possible.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If I buy a neo geo CD controller, am I stuck with the default button layout? I really love the thing, but if there's no way to remap the controls to make C shoot & A jump in Metal Slug, that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

Is my best bet one of those NEO-GEO to PS1 adapters? I want to use original hardware if possible.

neogeo pads (like all neogeo controllers) have exactly zero intelligence. They are just cables inside with switches, nothing else. At most, they have a chip for autofire, that's it. You can do what you want using HAS supergun and an MVS board, though.

Regards.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Wish I had a supergun, but I went the consolized MVS route. Shame there isn't some button remapping option in the unibios or something.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
You could implement a matrix selector, allowing rewiring trough simple dipswitches.

I gave it a thought when I needed a way to switch the normal layout to an autofire setup for Viewpoint (which requires to keep the fire button for charging the beam, hence the button layout redistribution)

Once built, all you have to do is flipping the dipswitch combination.

I should take some time and make a prototype...probably it would be bigger than the pad itself...

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Any idea why Analogue Interactive stopped doing these custom wood finish controllers? They only sell those custom nintendo systems on their site now from what I can tell.

Edit: Found it & sweet mother of god those things are expensive. Guess I'll stick with something cheaper.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They stopped making them when we laughed them off the forum for being a douche.

The simplest way to rewire a CD controller is to get a controller extension cable, cut it in half, and reconnect the wires in the pinout that you want. There are more elegant ways to do this, but that's a quick and dirty method.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It would be easy to rewire the pad. I think you're holding it wrong though.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Can't you log in as AES through unibios and change the button assignments?