Neo Geo X prices seem to already be going up

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
The Neo-Geo X has some wildly varied opinions. I can't remember a system having as such. Most people here say it's trash. Some say it's mediocre, could've been executed better. Some say it's good. I bought mine with the Mega-Pack back in November or December 2013. I was excited about the unit, because I had gotten rid of all my authentic Neo-Geo stuff when I moved in early 2013. When I got home, and took everything out of the box, I felt the feel/build quality of the handheld was good, however I was disappointed with the lcd screen's picture quality as compared to my modded psp. Even more so when I plugged the unit into my 27 inch CRT TV with the composite option (terrible). The remedy to this was to purchase a hdmi to composite/s-video converter which greatly improved the picture quality on my CRT.

I later bought a couple 4.50 firmware sd-cards off ebay with the emulated systems/games, and I was happy I did. Playing via the handheld at my desk on my 18 inch lcd via hdmi going from ATARI 2600, GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SMS, SNES, GENESIS, CPS1, CPS2, NEO-GEO, PS1 is hella convenient. Not being able to save my games like on my modded psp is a slight bummer though. I have Android devices (JXD models, GPD, and Chinese and Russian handhelds) that can do this also. Overall, I like the NGX. I have 2 complete in box models (I saw one at a retro gaming store in like new condition for $129.99 a couple years ago and couldn't resist), and a total of 4 of the handhelds (handhelds came included with the two 4.50 firmware sd cards I purchased).

I agree, that the NGX is flawed, but it's not trash. I've played/have similar devices that have worse emulation, and picture quality. I've seen youtube videos with people who own a real AES, and purchased the NGX, and have stated that the quality of the controller, and emulation is not exact, but it's not waaay off like a lot of people have said. Everybody's got an opinion, everybody's going to feel how they feel when they spend time with it. If you enjoy your NGX, cool. If you didn't, cool. Do you.

I like the NGX, but I do feel it could've have been executed better. The emulation is not %100/1:1, the screen quality of the handheld could've been better (PSP better), and if I hadn't utilized the hdmi to composite/s-video converter, It would be painful playing the unit via the composite video out on a CRT (HDMI is acceptable for me). My NGX still get's ample play time, it's in the rotation of my many game systems, and handhelds. Again, your experience/feelings regarding it is just that, yours. To me it's not bad, not great,...decent.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
If it had been cheaper, or better yet, actually lived up to it's own hype, there wouldn't have been such an uproar. The shitty screen and sub-par sticks along with the crappy video output and inflated price tag, meant that it deserved the vitriol that it got. I don't hate it, but I do regret buying it, and it certainly doesn't deserve the inflated prices it now receives on eBay.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
nice necro-posts!

Edit: Seeing mman's picture made me cry. Bring back mm!

Last edited:

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
If it had been cheaper, or better yet, actually lived up to it's own hype, there wouldn't have been such an uproar. The shitty screen and sub-par sticks along with the crappy video output and inflated price tag, meant that it deserved the vitriol that it got. I don't hate it, but I do regret buying it, and it certainly doesn't deserve the inflated prices it now receives on eBay.

I agree. It didn't live up to it's hype. Once I got over the fact that it wasn't going to be what I expected it to be. I looked at what we got, and focused on the things about the unit that I liked. $199.99 msrp would have been acceptable if it had delivered. I believe with a better lcd screen, 1:1 emulation on video, gameplay, and sound, clean video-out, the ability to save right out of the gate without having to buy one of the games packs for the upgrade, and it wouldn't have caused such an uproar. I believe they could have got away (for the most part) with the control sticks not being 1:1 with og Neo-geo sticks.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Literally the only part of the device I still have any respect for is the dock. The dock is cool. At some point I'll put an SBC in there with retroarch, and derive a little enjoyment from playing teh romz on a system formed to look like a neo.

Sticks were ok, but did not live up to what was promised. If they had been better, or cheaper, I wouldn't have cared so much.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I bought it on a whim and after a few months of having it I had wondered what possessed me to buy it. I was happy to dump it for what I originally paid for it. I almost bought the 'new one' too just because it was shaped like a candy cab. :lolz: Then I was like... wait a minute... this is no different than those TV games you see in CVS... remember? It's not good.

MrRobotFactory

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sold that pos NGX after having used it less than 10 min back in december 2012. What a shitty product. Didn't want that shitstain in my collection.

Sold that pos NGX after having used it less than 10 min back in december 2012. What a shitty product. Didn't want that shitstain in my collection.

And yet it has the best clicky controller. The best in any handheld (except for the ps vita, that one is...made by God)