Neo Geo X prices seem to already be going up

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Didn't want it when it first came out don't want it ever.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm flipping the shit out of my NIB NGX, no shame.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sup PolluxTroy. The prices of the neo geo x have stayed high and have been on the rise for a good while now (especially after amazon finally ran out of their stock). Although not a great choice to play neo geo games these days, with current high resell prices for pretty much everything related to "retro gaming" (ughh! It hurts to type that.), many gamers appear to have come full circle anyway:

1st era: Playing games on consoles
2nd era: Emulating consoles and playing illegal roms on pc's (i.e. nesticle, genecyst, etc)
3rd era: Emulating old consoles and playing illegal roms on newer consoles (i.e. snes on dreamcast, xbox, etc)
4th era: Buying up old consoles and games to have an "authentic" experience compared to emulators (i.e. after stores like gamestop stops carrying older console games more retro game shops emerge)
5th era: Running emulators and roms on licensed devices that look like old consoles (i.e. Atari Flashback, Neo Geo X, NES Classic Edition, etc.)
6th era: Running illegal roms on original hardware (i.e. flashcarts)

Gamers will always find a way to play what they want despite current market offerings. The awesome part about the current era of gaming is that there is a choice for gamers to play any console however they choose to. Emulation vs OG Hardware argument aside, for many, the opportunity to be able to have their own perceived ideal gaming experience at a price they want is all that matters. I just hope that many who obtain these games are willing to stick around here to talk about them.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
How much was it when it first came out? I don't even remember. I bought one, because I am helpless before such products, but I never opened it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ryogeo, they were $199.99 retail, with individual sticks at $49.99.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I remember following this site with that huge NGX thread about hacking it and messing with chopping up SD card adapters to read micro SD cards to play ROMs, but eventually things turned just sour, dark even to some level of hatred. Tommo didn't seem to care much other than to shove it out with firmware problems and HDMI off the deck was garbage, but they did get some firmware out once that fixed up little things and ignored others. I stopped paying attention then.

Did anyone ever really hack the crap out of it to fix all the emulation problems and the other core problems with the firmware related to the hardware itself? I was very interested in the thing early on until it was so badly dumped on I just ignored the thing. I know you can get those cards for like $50 or something on ebay which are rewired so you can slot a microsd with ROMS in it but other than that I don't know. I think just for portability sake, if someone fixed all the issues the company wouldn't it would be a decent little toy to have when you're on the go vs lugging a phone/tablet with a mini bluetooth controller around.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
If it's portability you're looking for, just hack a PSP.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Who is actually creating demand for NGX?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I sold mine off years ago and was happy I recouped most of my money. Guess I should've held on to it a bit longer eh? Dumping this thing and getting an Omega was one of the best decisions I made.

I still have the SD adapter to run other games on the NGX tho. There was a group buy on here way back when for these. Anyone have any use for such a thing still?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It was garbage, now it's called Neo-Geo Switch and has conceptual precursor status. Just take the handheld out of the console and... etc. etc.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Never bought one, never will, no regrets. The screen on that thing was terrible apart from all the rest.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
If this really is the darkest timeline, what must then be next are Neo Geo X bootlegs.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Did anyone ever really hack the crap out of it to fix all the emulation problems and the other core problems with the firmware related to the hardware itself?

NGX fans at neogeox.proboards have made many improvements to the original release and have a ton of information on jailbreaks and fixes: http://neogeox.proboards.com/

Their dedication to the unit has been pretty impressive to say the least.

WHO KEEPS BUYING THESE THINGS?

Gamers who want to play neo geo games in a "good enough" state in a cute all-in-one package (especially after jailbreaking the unit to include the full library).

Who is actually creating demand for NGX?

Similar offerings like Nintendo's NES Classic Edition, the rising cost of original neo geo hardware, and youtube videos.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The Lynx had hardware features like scaling and came out the same year as the Game Boy. It was pretty far from shit. Nintendo didn't have a portable that could handle stuff like Checkered Flag or Blue Lightning until the GBA in 2001.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The Lynx is awesome. The NGX is a piece of shit, and I find it hilarious that collectards are buying it for above retail.