Neo Geo X prices seem to already be going up

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
You see, here is the problem. You insinuate that someone is angry at selling their collection, then you yourself get angry when someone responds. That is called baiting. Are you trying to insinuate that I can't or that I'm trying to flex? What is E flexing? Is that a thing? I merely stated that I regret nothing and can at any point get the entire collection back if I wanted, which I can. I just spent 50k developing the most realistic driving simulator in the world for private use, so I can assure you, the AES library is not a hurdle. http://www.isrtv.com/motion-simulator/wil-mayaman-tosados-mind-blowing-porsche-motion-rig/

But why do that when I can save all the space. So if you don't want people responding to your obvious bait post, then don't post it and then get angry.

The stick project was just that, a little project. I saw some people were having issues with it and decided to update that thread with a solution. But again, being that so many SNK fans are raving lunatics, even this insults your purists sensibilities so much as to fling insults and get your panties in a bunch. Calm the fuck down.

As for my lame rant about group think, its not lame at all. I was in the video game industry in the 80s and 90s and we ran extensive demographic testing on what kids at the time wanted, why they wanted it. The correlation between peer pressure and group think is real. Its why you have instances like the Call of Duty video being disliked so much even though the majority of the people disliking never watched the entire video. They just snowballed like the rest of the lemmings.

Lastly, any point made about the "millenials" or "people who spend hundreds on a cart" aren't directly aimed at you genius. Its aimed at the people who will do backflips to assure that the value of their collections doesn't take a hit. They will downplay, destroy, talk shit about anything that does anything to hurt that perceived value.

And I'm the elitist fuck for embracing the so called shit NGX. Holy hell lol.

It's kind of funny. I came to the handheld sub-forum to see what's going on, saw an NGX thread which was a surprise (still have mine, but haven't used it in about a year and a half), come in out of curiosity to find a shit show, and lo and behold, something actually interesting!
I checked out that isrtv link, and I just felt I had to say that set-up is incredible! I definitely have to tip my hat to any serious fan of motorsport; I can only imagine how much fun and excitement rally would be on that rig. Dirt 4 on pc maybe!? Damn, that'd be cool!
Anyway, good stuff MAYAman ;)

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
The NGX is garbage, it's not what we were originally expecting. I was so excited about at first. I was hoping for similar cartridges, but maybe smaller, not another emulator with a bad video output and a handheld inside a console gimmick. Damn I really wanted to like it. I did buy a NGX controller and modded it for db15, but their cheap buttons are truly junk. Someday I'll upgrade them.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i was thinking of getting for just the shell and the novelty but even at the price it seemed iffy....now? lol

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
The NGX handheld unit itself is OK. It plays the games well enough. There should have been an option to buy just the handheld for $100 retail.

The NGX docking station truly is garbage. There was so much screen tearing that I couldn't play the games.
And the joysticks are cheap. In pictures they look identical but as soon as you pick one up you'll know the difference right away. They feel frail and they lack polish.

I sold mine as soon as I could after getting a 4-slot cabinet. But it took a long time before I could unload it.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm pretty certain they did sell (or was it intent?) the handheld alone but it was like $130 which seemed a bit steep vs $200 for the dock and joystick plus the added game card too.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
someone called me.... i'm here to take this thread with my sweet embrace.............

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I actually thought the sticks where decent. I modded mine for use on a real neo.

Austin

n00b
The NGX handheld unit itself is OK. It plays the games well enough. There should have been an option to buy just the handheld for $100 retail.

The NGX docking station truly is garbage. There was so much screen tearing that I couldn't play the games.
And the joysticks are cheap. In pictures they look identical but as soon as you pick one up you'll know the difference right away. They feel frail and they lack polish.

My thoughts exactly. Handheld is decent, yet the dock is rubbish. The joystick is deceiving too. It lacks weight and the switches feel mushy. The whole thing should have been well under the initial price point and with the low quality of the dock and stick, it makes me wonder how much Tommo was profiting off each unit. It wouldn't have stung as much if it was just the handheld for $100, because at least that is somewhat solid.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What a disaster. If you want Neo Geo on the go, just play the PSP collection or DL games on the switch.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Picked up a NGX Stick myself but it is really bad. The buttons seem to be ok for me but the joystick seems kind of loose and clumsy.
When i tested it on my PC it also seems to have a little lag and not all movements get registerd. That makes playing fighting games with it a bad decition.

I would say its ok for modding and spareparts.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Gamers who want to play neo geo games in a "good enough" state in a cute all-in-one package (especially after jailbreaking the unit to include the full library).

I seriously don't get it. People buying things like NGX or NES Classic to jailbreak them and use them as all around emulators. Why not get a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie? It would be cheaper AND faster. As for the price of NGX, the sticks are going up the most, which is insane, since they're crap.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I seriously don't get it. People buying things like NGX or NES Classic to jailbreak them and use them as all around emulators. Why not get a Raspberry Pi and RetroPie? It would be cheaper AND faster. As for the price of NGX, the sticks are going up the most, which is insane, since they're crap.

Whats up Morden. I'd say the short answer is simply nostalgia. Classic games can be downloaded on every system these days, but mini/replica consoles still gain a ton of attention. Collectors aside, I think there will always be those who simply want that original form factor/controller even if it is just repackaged roms. Nintendo was relatively late to this party, but I think their classic edition console success proves how viable that market still is.

Regarding the ngx stick, even though the stock version is a far cry from the original, I think word got out that you can simply mod them and use them as a perfectly good stick for anything that'll work via usb.

Edit: Let's all just be happy there's no game.com rereleases in the cards.

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
but I think their classic edition console success proves how viable that market still is.

It's such a shame that most of these efforts feel so half-assed. More $5 bargain bin DVD re-release than Criterion treatment. Nintendo is at the higher tier of having given half a damn, but tainted everything with pathetic supply and logistics. I wonder what demand look like with a better quality product that lives up to the tactile piece of nostalgia while providing quality emulation delivered competently to a modern television.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
It's such a shame that most of these efforts feel so half-assed.

Exactly. A smart way to do it is to release ONE platform that can do it all. Which isn't really a problem considering system requirements of emulating everything up to GBA. I never got a NES Classic because I didn't see the point. If Star Fox 2 comes out on Virtual Console, I won't need a SNES classic either.

I wonder how good a hardware based virtual console would do. You buy a physical Nintendo Virtual Console with access to Nintendo's classic library. Unfortunately, Nintendo is retarded and doesn't get that cross buy is a real thing and it's good. I'd love to have a separate box for every Virtual Console game I have ever bought. Imagine linking your NNID and having access to the titles you bought on 3DS, Wii, Wii U and so on. Classic titles I mean. NES, SNES, N64, TG16, NEO, arcade ... They could sell USB versions of controllers for these platforms, plus all-around controllers. I'd get into that for sure. But, for starters, Nintendo prefers you to buy same games fifty times over. I get it, they love money and as long as people pay, they'll continue on this path. It's a damn shame.

Same thing with NGX. The SD card switcharoo solution was weird. You had digital downloads on GP32 for crying out loud. How are those new NGX releases coming along, huh? Oh, they're not? Exactly. Digital downloads would be cheaper and would make it easier to patch things.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

To be fair, I'm a europe kid and had a master system and never got into the NES first time round (they were fairly uncommon, at least round me). I've got a famicom mini that I've jailbroken to play NES games in english rather than japanese, and also for the other ones worth consideration that aren't on the list, but I can't speak for all.

I've also got a SNES mini ordered, in the home those become jail broken too. I do have a SNES original and a few carts, but it's PAL so 50hz and a SDSNES is pretty expensive. And here's hoping, the SNES mini will output nicely over HDMI.

But why do all that instead of a Raspberry Pi? I guess you have a point. Because why not?

Last edited:

Gamemaster

20 Year Member

I did pick up the NGX Stick to compare it myself with the original and it was very cheap and unused too. I dont own a NGX.
I also picked up very cheap a Megapack VOL1, because the Box is almost identical to a original calmshell case. on a side note the booklet with stickers and owning the roms legally is also a nice plus.

I still have a big AES collection myself and i did build me a Picade from pimoroni.com that is also using a Raspi 3 and Retropie. i also swapped the joystick and buttons with seimitsu ones.

If i want to take this Picade for example to work i need to show where i got the roms from otherwise i would get trouble there.

BTW whats the common price the NGX sticks sell now? Because i can get some more new ones for cheap, they come basicly from the limited edtions from what i can tell.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
To be fair, I'm a europe kid and had a master system and never got into the NES first time round (they were fairly uncommon, at least round me). I've got a famicom mini that I've jailbroken to play NES games in english rather than japanese, and also for the other ones worth consideration that aren't on the list, but I can't speak for all.

I've also got a SNES mini ordered, in the home those become jail broken too. I do have a SNES original and a few carts, but it's PAL so 50hz and a SDSNES is pretty expensive. And here's hoping, the SNES mini will output nicely over HDMI.

But why do all that instead of a Raspberry Pi? I guess you have a point. Because why not?

I guess the point is, if you want unauthorised ROMs then why not just get them on your PC?

I've got a NES mini and I have the SNES mini on preorder, but I wouldn't "jailbreak" them. I bought them because they're a nice official Nintendo product that lets me play a bunch of old games I enjoy. Onceyou hack them I don't see the difference to a Rasberry Pi with a bunch of ROMs on.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I guess the point is, if you want unauthorised ROMs then why not just get them on your PC?

Oh that chesnut. Well it's easier to loader the games from a simple menu on a romz box, than open it up with a keyboard and mouse in my living room. I do have a PC connected up to my main tv, but loading romz is a bit of a faff... even with wireless keyboard and mouse. Yeah I could probably get a custom linux rom build and make it easier, but then I'd lose out on the full spectrum of steam and some of stuff I use it for.

Different strokes for different folks... but I admin the space under my tv is getting quite crowded.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I do have a PC connected up to my main tv, but loading romz is a bit of a faff... even with wireless keyboard and mouse. Yeah I could probably get a custom linux rom build and make it easier, but then I'd lose out on the full spectrum of steam and some of stuff I use it for.

But that brings us back to all of those emu-only consoles and handhelds, or even the previously mentioned Raspberry with Retro Pie. I'm pretty sure that for the current price of Neo Geo X you can get something with much faster guts that will run just about anything you can throw at it. I've seen those Chinese handhelds with pretty good screens and quad or octa-core CPUs, and the most expensive ones go for about $150, shipped.

As an example, this thing is about $100 ~ $120 and you can probably run just about anything on it. It runs Android, so if you want, you can run DOS games via DOSBox directly from floppies with a USB floppy drive. I tried doing this on my tablet and it worked like a charm. Not that I would ever want to play anything this way, but hey, I was just curious of how plug and play that floppy drive really was.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You see, here is the problem. You insinuate that someone is angry at selling their collection, then you yourself get angry when someone responds. That is called baiting. Are you trying to insinuate that I can't or that I'm trying to flex? What is E flexing? Is that a thing? I merely stated that I regret nothing and can at any point get the entire collection back if I wanted, which I can. I just spent 50k developing the most realistic driving simulator in the world for private use, so I can assure you, the AES library is not a hurdle. http://www.isrtv.com/motion-simulator/wil-mayaman-tosados-mind-blowing-porsche-motion-rig/

But why do that when I can save all the space. So if you don't want people responding to your obvious bait post, then don't post it and then get angry.

The stick project was just that, a little project. I saw some people were having issues with it and decided to update that thread with a solution. But again, being that so many SNK fans are raving lunatics, even this insults your purists sensibilities so much as to fling insults and get your panties in a bunch. Calm the fuck down.

As for my lame rant about group think, its not lame at all. I was in the video game industry in the 80s and 90s and we ran extensive demographic testing on what kids at the time wanted, why they wanted it. The correlation between peer pressure and group think is real. Its why you have instances like the Call of Duty video being disliked so much even though the majority of the people disliking never watched the entire video. They just snowballed like the rest of the lemmings.

Lastly, any point made about the "millenials" or "people who spend hundreds on a cart" aren't directly aimed at you genius. Its aimed at the people who will do backflips to assure that the value of their collections doesn't take a hit. They will downplay, destroy, talk shit about anything that does anything to hurt that perceived value.

And I'm the elitist fuck for embracing the so called shit NGX. Holy hell lol.
I don't give 2 shits about this stupid ngx argument. However that sim setup is too fucking unreal and something I think every car enthusiast has always dreamed about. I'd kill for an afternoon of that. Its better than driving a real porsche. No tires,no wear and tear and no fear of damaging a priceless car. Just amazing.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I just keep mine in box on the shelf for decoration. I've heard too many bad things I don't want to see mine break too.