Nintendo Switch will have classic Neo Geo games

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
The Nintendo Switch will have Neo Geo games

KOF 98 in March, followed by Waku Waku 7, Shock Troopers, World Heroes Perfect and Metal and Metal Slug 3.

Additionaly, the article states, "The nostalgia doesn't end there, either -- there will be a setting that restores each game to its original, 1990s glory, complete with all the grainy visuals of a CRT TV set."

Kind of excited, I like KOF 98, additionally, I like that fact that you can take the Switch on the go.

What games would you like to see?

I think a Meal Slug Anthology, and Sam Sho Anthology would be very nice. Although, I'm not sure if most Neo Geo games will be ported, or just the Hamster Corp developed games.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
This is great news for me I would like to see Kizuna Encounter, Samurai spirits zero in the list and many other titles in the future.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
All Metal Slugs, Aero Fighters 2 and 3, Blazing Star, Pulstar and Strikers 1945+ would be nice IMO.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I swear to god I don't understand the attraction of buying these games over and over and over and over and over and over again

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Good to know. We'll see if they can succeed where others have failed and actually release the complete neo geo library this time.

Thanks for sharing this news!

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
All Metal Slugs, Aero Fighters 2 and 3, Blazing Star, Pulstar and Strikers 1945+ would be nice IMO.

Wonder how the switch will handle the verticle shooters?

Since one side of the controller will have the buttons, and the other one has the directional pad.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Devilredeemed,

Good games never die! LOL

I think it's just ease of playing the game on a new system.

I don't think too many people have space to put out all their systems to make it easy to play any game at any time.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Devilredeemed,

Good games never die! LOL

I think it's just ease of playing the game on a new system.

I don't think too many people have space to put out all their systems to make it easy to play any game at any time.

that makes sense.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
You know what else has classic Neo-Geo games? My CMVS.

Wake me up when Nintendo starts being relevant again.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Great News,Hope they port Mark of the wolves!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
no weapons fighter? nintendon't plz.

...well, at least SNK gets payed I guess...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Wonder how the switch will handle the verticle shooters?

Since one side of the controller will have the buttons, and the other one has the directional pad.

All the "vertical shooters" on the neo use a horizontal screen.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It's fine and nice they're getting the support this go around it appears. IT's not meant for people on this site that's for sure as you have a CMVS, MVS, or an AES you don't need it. But for those who want just a few games that don't have the access to the stuff it's a good thing to have there than have nothing at all. The system also is online and allows for playing that way too, so perhaps you could end up doing some Windjammers or KOF98 or whatever else over the internet.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Does this mean two people each with a Switch can play these Neo games two player locally? This could be an amazing way to bring back an excellent two player experience without worrying about lag killing the joy.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I swear to god I don't understand the attraction of buying these games over and over and over and over and over and over again

In order for me to buy a game that I have already on my MVS cab, I need something that I can't get with the cabinet. I can understand buying it if it has online multiplayer and is on a system that is portable. For example, I have MOTW on MVS, Pandora's Box 4, PSTV and iPhone. I have the MVS version for traditional gameplay, PB4 just happened to have it (didn't buy one just for this title), iPhone because I was bored on vacation and didn't have a portable systems act could play it and PSTV for online play and so that I can get it on PS4 when I get one in the future.

If they release Waku Waku 7 on the Switch, I'll buy it just to have a portable version. I'll but it on day one if it has online multiplayer.

However, I will never ever ever buy Super Mario 3 again for a modern console. I am so sick of buying that game. Should just be a gimme with any Nintendo system going forward.

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Neo geo games online multiplayer playing with or vs. Strangers with some kind of point system so you don't get paired up with noobs sounds like something nintendo would do. Id buy it just to have an excuse to yell "Get Rekt!"

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't think the portability alone should be motivation enough. Not a fan favorite around here, but a modded SD card/firmware for a NeoGeoX could do that too in a far smaller dedicated handheld. The fact that the 2 joycons both work as controllers I think makes it clear you could do local 2P games with the system propped up on that kickstand, and odds are fairly decent for their being an online component added too to make it more marketable.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
I'm planning on getting one anyway (because of Xeno 2), so, cool, I guess.

It's not a selling point or anything (plus, not announcing what neo games it's going to have is shit. I mean, its not the same if they announce fucking KoF 94 and Art of Fighting 1 for the trillionth time to, say, Pulstar, Blazing Star, or Kizuna Encounter), but eh, hard for me to bitch about it either if it has online and stuff. I guess the portability would be a nice addition, as long as the controllers aren't shit, that is.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I completely support this in concept, but I can't say I'm thrilled to hear it's Hamster handling the work. Their history involves stealing from MAME and a barebones approach that doesn't show much love for the source material. Also note that these are their own thing rather than being part of Virtual Console. In a better world, we would have M2 in charge of this effort.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hamster's done a decent job with the Arcade Archives line on PS4, but they're not perfect by any means.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner

Waku Waku 7 was never officially released on any home system outside of Japan, mind you

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah I don't get the hype either other than maybe having a better netplay setup than what we have (which I doubt). These ports are probably going to be poorly emulated or have noticeable input lag. Not like it mattress anyhow, as I doubt people who will play on the Nintendo Ants Controller care about authenticity.