Metal Slug 3 no sound

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Greetings! It's been a while, but I just got a snazzy new Omega CMVS and it's been great! Except for one issue...

One of the games I got with it was Metal Slug 3. The game boots up just fine, but it's totally silent. I also get a flashed up error message saying something like "Bad M1-Rom" which from what I can tell is the sound rom inside the cart. (I'm a newb when it comes to MVS so please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I've already tried cleaning the contacts like I would any other cart. Nothing changed. Any ideas what to do here?

This Omega is running what I believe is the latest Unibios, 3.3, if that has any difference. The jukebox mode comes up with "Error Starting Sound" whenever I've tried that.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I would try reflowing the M1 chip, as it could be dry solder points. Open the cart up, find the M1 then heat up the solder points with a soldering iron and (optionally) add a tiny bit of fresh solder. I've fixed carts that have no audio this way.

If that fails, you may need to pull out the M1 to verify against the mame set. If it fails, burn a new M1 and replace. There's someone on here that will burn one for you if needed.

Edit: Found the thread, it's Fox1 that offers these services: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?253244-FS-Eprom-Burning-Services

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Upon reading into MVS boards a lot more this morning, I've come to realize that mine looks nothing like any official mvs boards

Looks like I got me a bootleg... :( I don't know where to find the M1 chip on this board, if it even has one in the first place.

No original neogeo cart uses those tiny SMD chips (the ones soldered on the same side of the board). They all use through-hole chips (the ones where pins go through the board and are soldered on the opposite side where the chip is). So, indeed you got a boot. It's worthless and likely not fixable. It has happened to many of us who rush to buy before reading :)

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Lesson learned. Seller said "cart works 100% but may not be original." :rolleyes:

Sadly, this cart made it in well before the Omega did so I'm a good ways out of the returns window. But hey, at least I got the shockbox, stickers and marquee.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Yeah...I just saw it.
Usually the boots have the normal M1 & S1 slots but not this one so it looks like you are SOL on this one. If you get a boot on purpose,make sure it's a boot with original parts that uses eproms as they would be ideal for repairing if need be.
BB

Lesson learned. Seller said "cart works 100% but may not be original." :rolleyes:

Sadly, this cart made it in well before the Omega did so I'm a good ways out of the returns window. But hey, at least I got the shockbox, stickers and marquee.