HyperSpin alternatives?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Been dicking around with HyperSpin for about 5 hours now and have been unable to get a single emulator to load. So many setting, files to rename, different .exe files to fuck around with. Then I think I got it and get some module error, and they want me to create .ahk files or some shit.

So I decide to try this RocketLauncher thing. Watch the whole tutorial and try to do it, and rocketlauncher won't even load. Google a bit, and am directed to a forum post that says I have to rename a bunch of folders....

So I'm pretty much done with this at this point.

Are there better alternatives? I just want a front end to run emulators, steam, and fightcade. I don't care about flashy videos, just something I can load up and control with an arcade stick without messing around with a mouse and keyboard.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I use mGalaxy for MAME, compatible with pretty much anything and super easy to configure. Not sure on the Steam front but you might be able to get that to work.

http://www.mgalaxy.com/

I can't get the actual game names to appear no matter what I do but I only have a handful of games so rom names aren't an issue for me.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I've been running lakka lately for emulators. I can't recommend it as a one stop shop though as searching large lists of games such as a MAME is near impossible to do well, also it's not likely to do Steam or fightcade well if at all...

What if you tried to use something like kodi as a launcher which would allow you to launch your emulator front end, steam big picture, and then a pre-configured fightcade setup? It's basically what the alienware alpha does...it boots to windows, axes explorer.exe and only loads up kodi for the UI. Exiting an application dumps you back into kodi set to control via a controller.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I've tried hyperspin in the past and the presentation is great but such a pain in the ass to setup. I still run separate emulators.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
EmulationStation, but the interface is barebone you might be better off using the emulators normally if you are on Windows instead. It normally goes with retroarch (emulators set) and used in retropie for raspberry pi and rom boxes

Heard Lanuchbox is simple too, but I didn't try it yet myself.

I suggest getting Raspberry PI or a small PC (check out Intel's NUC lineup). They are cheap and work well.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Launchbox is probably the winner now.
It's well maintained and updated often. It has repositories for artwork, demo videos, themes. Official tutorial vids help to setup.
Also supports cloud storage for your roms. Someone has recently integrated it into Kodi as well.

There is a fee-based premium version, but I am not sure what features are part of it.

It is windows ONLY at the moment. The devs have said they would like to get more OS support, but they are leaning pretty heavily on .NET at the moment.

A lot of the other options have seemed to lose momentum, so this is the one I am currently using.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
LaunchBox is definitely the winner. Relatively easy to setup (unlike HS) and still has a good GUI that's pretty customizable.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I dl'd launchbox last night after posting this and had steam up in 10 minutes. Took 9 to load the games in. Thats whats going in my cab or rgb monitor setup when i get it. Thanks for suggestions.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Launchbox is good, its only a frontend though. Having RL as the backend, and having the same names for hyperspin and launchbox, allow you to keep the settings on the backend for both.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm one of those lazy cunts who bought a fully configured hyperspin hard drive, everything ready to go, games loaded for every system etc. Just in case anyone's thinking of doing it, I would advise against - if you didn't set it up yourself then you don't know how it works, so when something goes wrong (something always goes wrong) you won't know how to fix it.

Having said that it still mostly works, just a few games have shit the bed, so it was better than nothing at all.

metouto

n00b
Been dicking around with HyperSpin for about 5 hours now and have been unable to get a single emulator to load. So many setting, files to rename, different .exe files to fuck around with. Then I think I got it and get some module error, and they want me to create .ahk files or some shit.

So I decide to try this RocketLauncher thing. Watch the whole tutorial and try to do it, and rocketlauncher won't even load. Google a bit, and am directed to a forum post that says I have to rename a bunch of folders....

So I'm pretty much done with this at this point.

Are there better alternatives Hyperspin Hard Drive? I just want a front end to run emulators, steam, and fightcade. I don't care about flashy videos, just something I can load up and control with an arcade stick without messing around with a mouse and keyboard.
Hello. I am building a Mame cabinet and I would like to buy a preprogrammed hard drive with Hyperspin or Gameex or Maximus with an emulator and ROMs I can pick it up if you want It can be compatible with x-arcade controller thanks