Freezing Atomiswave

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I have an issue playing Dirty Pigsking Football on my Atomiswave. It will freeze after some seconds (couple minutes at most). Here's a video of it:

I already tried setting the voltage up to 5.15V, and while it lasts a bit longer, it still freezes. I am afraid of setting the voltage even higher, it might damage something. I know the board works fine, I have tried it with knights of valour and a borrowed boot Metal Slug 6, both played flawlessly for more than an hour.

Thanks for any ideas.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I wouldn't turn up the voltage any more especially since you said the other carts work fine. Maybe the cart is poop.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yea, I wouldn't turn up the voltage any more especially since you said the other carts work fine. Maybe the cart is poop.

Really hope not, AW carts are not easily fixable like MVS carts. Any other idea or something I can try to diagnose better?

Thanks!!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I'd try another board, if possible. That, and a general clean up for cart connections. You could also de-case the cart and plug it in to see if it's a loose connection issue.

Bagheera369

New Challenger
Yep...look for cold solder joints on the cart, and if you plug it in caseless, feel the chips to see if one is overheating....cleaning the contact pins should be done carefully, as they are more delicate and harder to reach than the mvs card edges, obviously.

Good luck

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Holy necrobump Batman!

So this issue is solved. Turns out the AW board I was using has some problem, because I just got a second AW board from a member here (thanks man!) and Dirty PigSkin game works perfectly on it. On a side note, what a funny game this is! I have never watched a football game in my whole life, and I do not know the rules of it, but I managed to finish a game 14-20 against the CPU, LOL.

So, there's that guys, thanks for your help!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Holy necrobump Batman!

So this issue is solved. Turns out the AW board I was using has some problem, because I just got a second AW board from a member here (thanks man!) and Dirty PigSkin game works perfectly on it. On a side note, what a funny game this is! I have never watched a football game in my whole life, and I do not know the rules of it, but I managed to finish a game 14-20 against the CPU, LOL.

So, there's that guys, thanks for your help!

Good to hear it was a simple solution.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Also glad to hear it. :)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Sometimes simple solutions are overlooked, glad it worked out.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
That is the best repair technique: Throw it in the gutter, go buy another.

Actually I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be to even attempt a repair of an Atomiswave, it's pretty much a bunch of Sega chips, an SH4 and NEC memory.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
That is the best repair technique: Throw it in the gutter, go buy another.

Actually I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be to even attempt a repair of an Atomiswave, it's pretty much a bunch of Sega chips, an SH4 and NEC memory.

Yep, it's really hard to fix these things, and diagnosing the issue seems even harder. That, coupled with the fact that MS6 and knights of valour work fine, makes me wonder what it could be the problem. Maybe overheating, who knows. I guess I'll keep both boards, one dedicated for DPF and the other for MS6/KoV.