Best place to replace cabinet glass?

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I've made at least two threads about this same subject and absolutely no one has responded. I would like to know as well. Mine is just really scratched up.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I've replaced cabinet glass with plexiglass from my local hardware store. Obviously, much lighter, less fragile, and possibly cheaper.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Most arcade glass were made from tinted tempered glass (acted as an anti glare function as well as protecting the monitor). Hence why only your corner broke off instead of breaking into a million tiny pieces. Though you could probably special order, it would be cheaper just to buy second hand.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sup Mad Mage. Getting the appropriate dimensions and (if desired) taking a sample to your local glass and mirror shop should be a good start. Any glass or window replacement shop should be able to cut the glass as needed and get you set up with any antiglare options as well. As gusmoney already stated, plexi is also a decent low-cost way to go.

EDIT: Here's one that may be in your area judging by your profile location:

http://advanceglass.org/

Good luck!

Last edited:

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Sup Mad Mage. Getting the appropriate dimensions and (if desired) taking a sample to your local glass and mirror shop should be a good start. Any glass or window replacement shop should be able to cut the glass as needed and get you set up with any antiglare options as well. As gusmoney already stated, plexi is also a decent low-cost way to go.

EDIT: Here's one that may be in your area judging by your profile location:

http://advanceglass.org/

Good luck!

Exactly, any glass shop can get what you need.
Just make sure it's the correct size you need, because if you end up with tempered glass, it cannot be recut. (Can, but not easily or cheaply, and with a risk of it breaking)

Glass doesn't even have to be tempered, but I'd get anti glare glass.

Shop around, it's interesting the prices you'll get for the same piece of glass.

I was quoted between 100 and 230 for a 1/4" thick piece of tempered glass for the top of a coffee table.

The $100 glass included them coming to verify measurements, and drop off when it arrived. Others did not include this service, and yet they still charged more.

Goodluck

Mad Mage

Edo Express Delivery Guy
20 Year Member
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll go to a local glass shop.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I usually buy new glass when I'm restoring a wood cab. I pay usually pay less then 20 bucks for tinted tempered glass at 1/4 inch thick. Your glass shop may charge as much as 50 bucks as cost seems to be about 15 or so for most glass shops (they almost always get it elsewhere as already stated you can't get it locally made). Just measure the width of the cab where the glass will go and top to bottom plus add a inch or so that way it can slide up under the opening and not fall out. Tinted glass will mute the colors some so if you want better clarity just get clear tempered. I personally avoid plexi as it's never really as clear as a nice piece of glass, and standard plexi is not scratch resistant and shows even tiny scratches usually pretty bad. Pluses though you could buy a sheet for cheap from a hardware store and score it yourself by hand and still be good enough to use if you don't want to drive around town finding a fair priced glass shop.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I need a piece of glass for my Street Fighter II CE...before doing that anyway to get scratches out of the glass?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I need a piece of glass for my Street Fighter II CE...before doing that anyway to get scratches out of the glass?

I've never seen anything fully remove scratches from glass (especially deep scratches). However, I have had some success with minimizing the appearance of some minor scratches. There are polishing creams that can make light scratches appear to completely vanish. I have also seen some liquid resin solutions for glass scratches, but have yet to try them myself.

neo-geo 2

Raiden's Valet
I just got a tempered piece of glass 20X24 from my local auto glass shop for $25 cash out the door, only issue i had with it was where they etched "tempered" on it.