Will neo geo dev team games ever be on multi carts?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
pegboy, something tells me that was shortened from pegged boy.

Yes a lot of people won't blow $1000 on a game, but some will and they're not just collectards. People after that stuff are higher level spenders into arcade cabinet stuff and the AES which is just inherently more expensive and that group on this site isn't going to give a crap. They'll want to support their choice of hardware and those who wish to still make pretty things for it. I may have a cabinet and a nice small selection of games but my pockets are anything but deep and I still can't agree with that shit. Sure I'd love to see them perhaps do an Android release or whatever so the common low budget game player can have fun, but damn I can deal without. Will it get hacked? Yeah. Will it end up on a boot or multi-boot? Yup. Doesn't mean people have to like or respect it, but once the cat is out of the bag fuck it--it's open season as nothing is going to stop it. Hopefully they can get their good money from their efforts now before that happens.

jfc you really do type so much

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
You honestly think ROMs would effect the sales of this stuff? They would still sell out instantly regardless if ROMs were available or not. Collectors/speculators are the VAST majority buying this stuff, and most of them don't even play the games. I've never even seen scores posted for pretty much any of the games NG Dev has released, let alone 1cc videos or anything of that sort. Nobody is playing these games, or at least nobody that is actually good at them.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
it would get immediately burned to bootleg cart on sold on ebay

they are fully sold out so theres nothing to effect

also would fuck up protections for any future releases by ngdev as boots would sell for 1/2 off

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
the incentive is probably too low at the moment. If you want to play them that bad, get the Dreamcast version.

I'm sure there will eventually be a time where having this feature will be a selling point for a multicart.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm hoping they do re-release their DC stuff again. I know they originally were in DVD size boxes, then a cheaper run in jewel cases which is fine (and fits the DC anyway.) It's out of stock, but their website seems to say something of Jan/Feb for a restock of the three games of theirs in a bundle. I'm VERY tempted to go for it as the NeoGeo versions are too out of my price range.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Reviving this.

I think they should be. The actual carts are essentially nonexistent. Why not sell multicart compatible roms on their website? Collectors would still buy the carts (if they could actually get them), community members would gladly purchase the roms to support the homebrew scene. But as it is now, the games just don't get played by most NG enthusiasts unless it's on a different platform. I don't own a switch and don't really have any desire to get one.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Reviving this.

I think they should be. The actual carts are essentially nonexistent. Why not sell multicart compatible roms on their website? Collectors would still buy the carts (if they could actually get them), community members would gladly purchase the roms to support the homebrew scene. But as it is now, the games just don't get played by most NG enthusiasts unless it's on a different platform. I don't own a switch and don't really have any desire to get one.

All it takes is time. They will be eventually.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Since their first game, their copy protection has been very effective at keeping roms of their games from getting out into the public. A version that runs on a flash cart won't have the DMCA needed to prevent copying. I'm sure they'd rather keep illegal copies from getting out so that they can sell the games on other consoles.

You can argue that offering a paid version of the rom for sale would be better business, but this is just the reality of it.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
I get what they are doing since they have solid fans but also, their limited releases is making people sell their carts for prices no one will buy. I did hear from another forum that Kraut Buster may be re-released for NGO sometime next year. I am actually interested in getting this but I also read that people pre-ordered their copy years ago and still haven't gotten it.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Since their first game, their copy protection has been very effective at keeping roms of their games from getting out into the public. A version that runs on a flash cart won't have the DMCA needed to prevent copying. I'm sure they'd rather keep illegal copies from getting out so that they can sell the games on other consoles.

You can argue that offering a paid version of the rom for sale would be better business, but this is just the reality of it.

No doubt it's effective. It effectively makes it unavailable altogether for people like me. Can't buy the cart, can't buy the rom. I could be wrong, but I just don't think having the rom available would hurt sales. Switch collectors would still buy the physical copies. People who want to play on the switch would most likely take the easy route of just buying the game download. The NES and Gameboy homebrews I've seen have had rom downloads available, people still buy them.

I think NGDev is overly paranoid and restrictive on this, but it's certainly their right to be. It reminds me of looking for old shows or movies that are locked in some studio vault that no one has rights to resell or broadcast, so instead of getting sold and seen, it just collects dust. Always seemed like a shame to me, just letting good art rot.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I think I saw Xenocrisis neogeo bootlegs on aliexpress. Since the game only came out relatively recently, that speaks to the quickness with which a Chinese neogeo bootleg producer can put product out. But I don't think I've seen NGDev Team boots. Good for them for having their encryption or other security measures last this long. Or maybe its no big deal for people who want to play the game b/c they can just get a dreamcast version (real or ripped) for most of them.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I think the best copy protection those games have is their general unavailability and lack of interest. No way their DRM wouldn’t be cracked if someone actually gave a damn.

Meanwhile XenoCrisis peeps did not give 1 fuck about wasting time creating draconian measures against ROM dumping, and they did not sperg out and throw a tantrum over bootlegs. Whoever wanted a legit copy would buy one regardless anyway, and that’s the way it should be with homebrews IMO.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The Xeno Crisis bootlegs are no doubt running the rom release version, which has inferior sound. Not that most people buying a janky Aliexpress version probably care.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'd say because they're a terrible company with years-long preorder windows, minimal communication, and absurd prices. They're making the $$$ off of switch ports, so why bother with a ROM of a niche system that takes them years to develop and produce even a miniscule amount of items for?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You can get Last Hope on Aliexpress just not PB.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Did anyone ever actually make a working .neo file for Last Hope? Would be nice to play it via a NeoSD.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Did anyone ever actually make a working .neo file for Last Hope? Would be nice to play it via a NeoSD.
Pretty sure I've seen multiple version of this file, don't know what format they are in.
Why, if not when you turn it into a .neo file it stops working?
Pretty sure I have played it on a system that uses .neo files

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The .neo file is fine, and it used to work in beta. They blocked it somehow.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah TO blocked the use of NGDEV games on NeoSD. Not sure about the DS multi.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Could the software be reverse-engineered somehow to allow the use of some NGDEV games on NeoSD?

Damsco

n00b
Until anyone figures out what the extra hardware does its basically just speculation if its at all possible to patch the games to work on a flashcarts

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Or you could just get the DC rips and play them on an actual DC or emulator.

Reactions: Syn

Damsco

n00b
The later games don't even have DC ports so i'm very curious how you would go about fixing that.