1084s-d2 (NTSC-US) and JPN SuperFamicom RGB connection

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi,

I briefly tried to hook my SFC to my 1084s (D2, NTSC US version with 9 pin connector) but no luck....no image, just lines like this guy here:

VuW8o2x.jpg

I used a PAL Gamecube RGB cable I bought in Italy, but seems I can;t get sync to work.

Now, question is, I heard I may need a sync stripper, but I'm not sure if it refers to the PAL SuperNintendo...is that confirmed for the Japanese version too?

Also, anyone knows were I could buy one of those handy 1804s-SCART RGB/Stereo adapters?

I do have an original SFC (JP21) RGB Cable, so I would rather keep it mint and mess with the scart adapter..

Thanks a lot!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
How are you currently trying to connect the SFC to the monitor? Does it have a scart input?
Also, Is that a JP SFC or a PAL SFC?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
As by title, it is a 1084s-d2 and a Japanese SFC, also, as mentioned, the input on the monitor is trough a 9 pin connector (D-Sub, sync on pin 7) hence the question about where to find a SCART/stereo adapter, which I will need to convert into JP21.

As mentioned, I tried briefly modding a gamecube rgb cable, in detail, mapping r-g-b to d-sub pins 3-4-5 and ground to pin 1.

edit:

the picture "from the guy here" is taken from the internet, and I used it to represent the issue, never mind the Euro Super Nintendo, mine is actually JPN.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Pal RGB cables take sync from the composite video line, as the PAL SNES has 12v on pin 3 instead of composite sync like the NTSC systems. It may be that this monitor doesn't like composite video as sync in which case you'd either need a sync strike or a NTSC RGB cable that pulls sync from the csync pin instead of composite video. I don't know which pin the JP21 cable pulls sync from, it may not help.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks, sounds like I should focus on the JPN rgb cable...I have a female SCART I can use to test...will lookup the JP21 pinout and start from there.

Ideally if it works, I was thinking of buying and modding the 1084s SCART adapter to match JP21.

Thanks,

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Behold!!

sfc_RGB_cable01.jpg

I eventually made an RGB+Stereo cable, using a spare European RGB Super Nintendo cable (fun thing, the PAL Gamecube cable at the console end had ground where sync was supposed to be..couldn't use it!)

The pinout of the SCART was like nothing I have seen before, not JP21 and frankly different from usual EURO SCART too...so, I simply opened (carefully!) the connector going to the console, checked the pinout and built the D-Sub end to the 1084s (Composite sync works perfectly, no need for sync stripper or even caps)

sfc_RGB_cable02.jpg

I'm kinda proud of having the stereo plugs coming out from the D-Sub connector, I drilled two holes...it's very clean end neat.

here a detail of the result, definitively the best picture you can get out of an SFC!

sfc_RGB_cable03.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm kinda proud of having the stereo plugs coming out from the D-Sub connector, I drilled two holes...it's very clean end neat.
nice! A good idea well executed.
And great to see it working, have fun playing man.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
Congrats on getting it working! I have a 1084s and ran an american SNES on with a killer picture for quite some time.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys, I'm planning to use a SNES/SFC AV port on my supergun as well, so I can use the same cable for both! Will post pics!