XBox360 - RROD after update

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
It can of course be a very weird and totally random coincidence - but yesterday I wanted to check the online movie database on my (must be 1st or 2nd generation) XBox360 and after rebooting after an update that was requested only after entering the movie section I got a RROD.
(never had any problems whatsoever before)

Atm I believe this is a very weird coincidence, but just in case anyone has any details on this event or has an idea on how to fix the console - feedback is much appreciated.
(Internet is full of weird approaches there but to the best of my knowledge the console is pretty done for).
Have a great christmas everyone.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Wouldn't it be F'd if they included a kill switch in updates to force people to upgrade to a newer system.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I've had this happen twice. Once immediately after the update was applied, the other system RROD'ed the second time I powered it on after an update. One was a launch model, the other was the last model of the original fat design before they went to the slim. Never had any issues with either system beforehand, but that hardly means anything. I don't think MS deliberately set out to brick systems, but I do think the updates did just that.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you Berry. Hope you find a replacement.

And now I'm worried about my own 360...

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Thx for all the replies guys, seems the console is done for (didn't open it yet - offered fixes on the net sound mostly weird though)
As for a replacement I was surprised how much the stuff costs still with the XBone out for some time.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
last time I got rrod, I just did the controller swap thing? and it fixed it. I've only used it five or six times since then but without issue.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I don't know what the "Controller swap thing" is but I'll search for it and try that, thx

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I don't know what Karou's referring to, but the fixes normally involve adding thermal paste to the GPU, or the towel trick. While I've tried the towel trick (and it works), both solutions are temporary, especially the towel trick. Unfortunately, in your case, I'd recommend a replacement like an S model slim. Idk what they cost on your side of the world, but used from Amazon Warehouse or GameStop can be less than $80 if you know how to pick them.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Yeah when I had the RroD problem I ended up using the heatgun method and it bought me another six months until it red ringed again. Did it a second time, got another three months. Third time only lasted a month. At that point it was time for a replacement.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
all I did was put a different play and charge in or swap controllers on one or something . I didn't find it in my first search sorry! when it was mine it wasn't firstish in results either.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
all I did was put a different play and charge in or swap controllers on one or something . I didn't find it in my first search sorry! when it was mine it wasn't firstish in results either.

thx, and also all others who gave feedback/info