would it be cool if

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
fuck a paddle. punish him with hellfire and corrosion

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
RPGs just didn't make sense for the console at the time. It was sold as a multi game arcade system to arcades, a home arcade system to AES owners and an affordable AES alternative with the NGCD. They focused on making arcade games that could eat through a pocket of quarters and bring the player back for more.

You want a good action RPG from SNK? Crystalis for NES was fantastic. Would not have done well as an arcade game. Even with memory card support. As for the home system? In that era, the SNES was an RPG powerhouse that released countless epics. Who could compete with that? It would have been, without a doubt, a money losing venture.

But if you are asking if it would be cool if SNK decided to focus on making games for dead hardware but not the games that drew people to that console to begin with, you are fucking insane.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
RPGs just didn't make sense for the console at the time. It was sold as a multi game arcade system to arcades, a home arcade system to AES owners and an affordable AES alternative with the NGCD. They focused on making arcade games that could eat through a pocket of quarters and bring the player back for more.

You want a good action RPG from SNK? Crystalis for NES was fantastic. Would not have done well as an arcade game. Even with memory card support. As for the home system? In that era, the SNES was an RPG powerhouse that released countless epics. Who could compete with that? It would have been, without a doubt, a money losing venture.

But if you are asking if it would be cool if SNK decided to focus on making games for dead hardware but not the games that drew people to that console to begin with, you are fucking insane.

I hear what you're saying, but SNK actually was actively trying to branch out into other genres; one of which was indeed rpgs. Aside from Samurai Shodown rpg, consider SNK published titles like: Koudelka, Athena, King of Fighters: Kyo and many rpgs that appeared on the neo geo pocket color. Especially in the time of the ngpc, SNK definitely demonstrated that the neo geo brand had room for rpgs and other genres. Hell, I'd be willing to argue that as a result of this effort, the ngpc has the most balanced library out of all the hardware in the neo geo product line. If one of their portable or console rpg ventures had taken off, who knows where titles like Dark Arms: Beast Busters, Faselei!, Koudelka, Memories Off Pure, Card Fighters, Unitron, etc could have ended up today.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Is Sacnoth the same as SNK? They developed Faselei! and Koudelka, but Koudelka ended up as spawning the Shadow Hearts series.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Is Sacnoth the same as SNK? They developed Faselei! and Koudelka, but Koudelka ended up as spawning the Shadow Hearts series.

Sup joe! In addition to the games mentioned Sacnoth also developed the Dive Alert ngpc games too. Although Sacnoth was reportedly started via funding from SNK and continued to worked closely with them (Aruze would even go on to publish the Shadow Hearts games in japan), they were separate entities.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I hear what you're saying, but SNK actually was actively trying to branch out into other genres; one of which was indeed rpgs. [...] If one of their portable or console rpg ventures had taken off, who knows where titles like Dark Arms: Beast Busters, Faselei!, Koudelka, Memories Off Pure, Card Fighters, Unitron, etc could have ended up today.
good point man. but OP's horizon is too limited to get it ;)

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I put this in the news thread, but I thought it would also expand the conversation here since SNK just announced they are getting back into the rpg business:

http://game.snk-corp.co.jp/official/newproject/

Although I'm not a big fan of smartphones as a gaming platform, I am glad to see SNK branch out with a new IP. Their mobile games have been heavily dependent on the use of their old IP's, so it's refreshing to see them try to launch in a new direction with an RPG title regardless of platform.

Are there any rpgs from SNK that anyone feels stood the test of time? Card Fighters is still a lot of fun imho and it would have indeed been cool to have seen that game on one of the neo home consoles back then.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Are there any rpgs from SNK that anyone feels stood the test of time? Card Fighters is still a lot of fun imho and it would have indeed been cool to have seen that game on one of the neo home consoles back then.

Crystalis. My favirite NES game. My favorits game of all time.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Crystalis is legit.

Unrelated, but I'm reminded of StarTropics too which I love.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Crystalis. My favirite NES game. My favorits game of all time.

Crystalis is indeed awesome. I was surprised that Crystalis was never expanded upon on the neo geo pocket color. The gameboy color did eventually receive a port of the game though.

Crystalis is legit.

Unrelated, but I'm reminded of StarTropics too which I love.

I don't recall ever seeing this game back then, and only began to hear about it fairly recently. Is it really that good Sylvie?

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Crystalis is indeed awesome. I was surprised that Crystalis was never expanded upon on the neo geo pocket color. The gameboy color did eventually received a port of the game though.

I don't recall ever seeing this game back then, and only began to hear about it fairly recently. Is it really that good Sylvie?

The Gameboy port was not as good as the original. They changed a bunch of things including the music, non of it was for the better.

Startropics is good. Not Crystalis good but a solid RPG.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
YeAh I think startropics is a good but not great rpg. Crystalis is one of the best RPGs on the NES.

-SD-

Camel Slug
Yeah, the Pocket has a pretty good line-up of strategy/RPGs considering how small the library is overall.

It would have been nice if WaterMelon had ported Pier Solar over to the Neo CD.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Pokemon with robots.

Yeeeah snk and yumekobo were not subtle with that one at all :lolz:

It must've done pretty decently though considering it did get a sequel. Oh well. Even though their new rpg project appears to be unapologetically inspired by "My Hero Academia", I hope that it gains some traction and makes landfall on some more traditional gaming consoles.