Neo Geo AES 3-4 revision: Mods and enhancements (Video/Audio)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
To answer your question about the "burnt-looking spot", there's no via in that point. The solder mask is scraped off on the ground plane and the capacitors leads are both soldered there. In my case only one as the other is on the bottom.

FBX

Quiz Detective
To answer your question about the "burnt-looking spot", there's no via in that point. The solder mask is scraped off on the ground plane and the capacitors leads are both soldered there. In my case only one as the other is on the bottom.

Yeah I figured this out after you restored your pics in the other thread. I prefer your method over that ugly mess. Basically a "do no harm approach" that can be reversed with simply desoldering the extra caps.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Question about the 3-4 RGB quality: I replaced the stock RGBS caps with 470uF ones per XX's recommend. My composite quality is now much better, but my RGB is only slightly better. The issue seems to be a halo on the right side of the image, especially high contrast stuff like text and the Neo splash screen. Any thoughts on this? Am I out of luck unless I do a full bypass? I'd like to keep composite if possible.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Yeah I figured this out after you restored your pics in the other thread. I prefer your method over that ugly mess. Basically a "do no harm approach" that can be reversed with simply desoldering the extra caps.

Just saw this. This was not done by myself so I don't know if the board was like this prior to the mod or not. Would this affect the audio quality?

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Posted by @FBX

FBX 01.jpg

FBX 02.jpg

Posted by myself:

IMG_20170418_132541.jpg

Am I missing anything in general cause I can still hear some buzz/noise