Lmao Blade Runner 2049

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll come out and say it...I'm excited about it. I think the trailer looks great, and I don't mind Gosling, he's not a bad actor.

Like I read someone else say earlier, there is no way I am expecting this to touch the original...but I have a feeling it will be very solid.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Watching the trailer is like watching an Elvis impersonator.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The giant Atari logo is an example of what I mean about this being an imitation of a Blade Runner movie. What is the point of it? Yeah, there's a neon Atari sign in Blade Runner.

Atari isn't the company it was when the first movie came out.

So what is this giant logo meant to do? Is it an announcement of intent to remain faithful to the original vision? Is it an ironic wink? Is it an appeal to nostalgia for the original film and the decade it appeared in?

All of those alternatives are distractingly self-conscious. This isn't a movie, it's "a Blade Runner Movie."

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I still wish this movie wasn't happening, but that trailer is fucking awesome. Complaining about an Atari logo is just being a party pooper.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
The giant Atari logo is an example of what I mean about this being an imitation of a Blade Runner movie. What is the point of it? Yeah, there's a neon Atari sign in Blade Runner.

Atari isn't the company it was when the first movie came out.

So what is this giant logo meant to do? Is it an announcement of intent to remain faithful to the original vision? Is it an ironic wink? Is it an appeal to nostalgia for the original film and the decade it appeared in?

All of those alternatives are distractingly self-conscious. This isn't a movie, it's "a Blade Runner Movie."

The original Blade Runner takes place in 2019 and we see an Atari logo in the background. Therefore, Atari is relevant in the Blade Runner universe in 2019.

Blade Runner 2049 takes place in 2049 and we see an Atari logo displayed prominently. Therefore, Atari is still relevant in the Blade Runner universe in 2049.

Arguably, the timeline and trajectory of the Atari we know to have failed is not the Atari of the Blade Runner universe.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
The original Blade Runner takes place in 2019 and we see an Atari logo in the background. Therefore, Atari is relevant in the Blade Runner universe in 2019.

Blade Runner 2049 takes place in 2049 and we see an Atari logo displayed prominently. Therefore, Atari is still relevant in the Blade Runner universe in 2049.

Arguably, the timeline and trajectory of the Atari we know to have failed is not the Atari of the Blade Runner universe.

I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning the use of an amplified visual to call back to what was a background detail.

It's the same pattern that Red Letter Media talks about so much in other delayed sequels or soft reboots (Indiana Jones has to wear the costume. Remember Tribbles? Remember that ball Luke used for lightsaber training?)

It just feels like they're trying too hard to prove this is Blade Runner.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I still wish this movie wasn't happening, but that trailer is fucking awesome. Complaining about an Atari logo is just being a party pooper.

I'll poop on your party, so help me.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
I'm not disputing that. I'm questioning the use of an amplified visual to call back to what was a background detail.

It's the same pattern that Red Letter Media talks about so much in other delayed sequels or soft reboots (Indiana Jones has to wear the costume. Remember Tribbles? Remember that ball Luke used for lightsaber training?)

It just feels like they're trying too hard to prove this is Blade Runner.

I see, fair enough. It seems like a lot of these character or franchise hallmarks need to there to keep things constant. Case in point, Jones wearing the costume. The audience would have problems with him in jeans and a t-shirt.

I think the same about sitcoms like Friends and Seinfeld. Over all the years they aired, they kept the same apartments? Very atypical for NYC yet the location is a constant that must be maintained. I am sure someone in the field has a term for this.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I'll come out and say it...I'm excited about it. I think the trailer looks great, and I don't mind Gosling, he's not a bad actor.

Like I read someone else say earlier, there is no way I am expecting this to touch the original...but I have a feeling it will be very solid.

Good director, good cast, there's no reason to think this'll be a pile of shit

I am sure someone in the field has a term for this.

I believe that's referred to as "Maintaining the status quo"

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I really feel that too many people are just too critical, too bitter about things nowadays. Remove "Blade Runner" from the title and I'd still be excited about a film of this nature. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, and I'm sure the haters will hate it. I enjoyed SW EP VII, Rogue One, and Ghost in the Shell...the haters bitched and moaned about them all.

I used to be a grumpy ass, micro analyzing every movie...and in the end it made me miserable. I decided to let things go a bit and let myself enjoy some new films...and I've been happier for it. Now, I won't say you'll see me watching Transformers part gofuckyourself any time soon...but I definitely will not pass over Aliens, BR, or the next SW films...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I really feel that too many people are just too critical, too bitter about things nowadays. Remove "Blade Runner" from the title and I'd still be excited about a film of this nature. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, and I'm sure the haters will hate it. I enjoyed SW EP VII, Rogue One, and Ghost in the Shell...the haters bitched and moaned about them all.

I used to be a grumpy ass, micro analyzing every movie...and in the end it made me miserable. I decided to let things go a bit and let myself enjoy some new films...and I've been happier for it. Now, I won't say you'll see me watching Transformers part gofuckyourself any time soon...but I definitely will not pass over Aliens, BR, or the next SW films...

I'd agree with you if the vast majority of reboots in the last decade hadn't been total shit.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

GitS was a good movie. It wasn't using the existing movie popularity of a previous production to rake in more millions.

Rogue 1 was a cash grab. It was a shit story, with Star Wars characters plugged in. the Star Wars trilogy's greatest tragedy was that Lucas thought another 3 movies were a good idea.

Another issue is that you're comparing fantasy (Star Wars) to sci fi (GitS), and here I see BR2 on the fantasy side (if you expect some deep exploration of AI and humanity, I must remind you that this is a Ryan Gosling movie), not using real Dick material, as a plug and play, just like Rogue 1 - use the characters, the backdrop, and make a new story. This is cheap, and my standards for storytelling are a lot higher than this is capable of reaching.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
GitS was a good movie. It wasn't using the existing movie popularity of a previous production to rake in more millions.

Rogue 1 was a cash grab. It was a shit story, with Star Wars characters plugged in. the Star Wars trilogy's greatest tragedy was that Lucas thought another 3 movies were a good idea.

Another issue is that you're comparing fantasy (Star Wars) to sci fi (GitS), and here I see BR2 on the fantasy side (if you expect some deep exploration of AI and humanity, I must remind you that this is a Ryan Gosling movie), not using real Dick material, as a plug and play, just like Rogue 1 - use the characters, the backdrop, and make a new story. This is cheap, and my standards for storytelling are a lot higher than this is capable of reaching.

It sounds like you are referring to the 1995 GITS movie, correct?

From smokehouse's post it seemed he was talking about the 2017 live action reboot.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

To be fair, none of the movies you mentioned had Ryan Gosling and Dennis Villeneuve attached

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Wow, Ryan Gosling gained 300 pounds just for that role!

Apparently Gosling was the first choice for the Mark Wahlberg role in Peter Jackson's Lovely Bones but he showed up to set with a bushy beard and 60 pounds overweight, apparently he was going method without telling Jackson about it so Jackson fired him

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Sean Young is a crazy person, it makes sense no one wants her within a mile of any film productions

Yeah, she's a crazy person, I'm aware of that.

But I mean, I'm sure they could've done at least a call-back or shot a single scene and then get the fuck away from her as fast as humanly possible before she fliped out. All cynicism aside, that would've been pretty sweet to see.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It sounds like you are referring to the 1995 GITS movie, correct?

From smokehouse's post it seemed he was talking about the 2017 live action reboot.

No, I'm talking about the live action one. A reboot isn't the same thing as making up new stories with existing IP just to squeeze out a few more dollars from the idiot fanboy marks.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Dennis Villeneuve is yet to make a bad movie. Don't think this will be his first...or maybe it's just what I hope.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I think the trailer looks absolutely awesome. A little too awesome. Like, looking the gift horse in the mouth awesome.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I know what you're saying...and I wasn't really trying to compare the works that are Sci-Fi -vs- Fantasy. I was more so pointing out highly contested movies that have come out and faced polarized reviews. More examples are films like Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness, or Prometheus, all of which I enjoyed but met harsh criticism from others...mostly because it was compared to others in the same franchise.

...as simple as it was, I really did enjoy Rogue One...cash grab or no.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Rogue One was a very good Star Wars movie.