Lmao Blade Runner 2049

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LOL, but did he eat it? He falls and we don't see anything of him after that. Might be pulling a Luke Skywalker. I personally think he'll be back.

Anyways, I agree. Harrison did pretty well as Han and Indy. He's probably the best of the people on my "wooden actor" list. I have a feeling it has to do with chemistry with the director, much like Bale.

Let's hope he at it, his quality as Solo in VII was mediocre at best.

I can't believe they really called this blade runner 2049... Like some kind of tie in for Robotron 2049.

Don't do it man...don't cross the streams. Video game nerd and movie nerd are not the same...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
the director is a very talented individual. I've liked all his output up to now that I've watched. he doesn't appear to take shortcuts and seems to have a genuine idea about what he wants to convey

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
the director is a very talented individual. I've liked all his output up to now that I've watched. he doesn't appear to take shortcuts and seems to have a genuine idea about what he wants to convey

His movies are slow and impotent. The trailer for Sicario was great, then you go into the theater and watch a slow moving flaccid chode of a movie. Villaneuve sucks. Worse is that this is coopting the Blade Runner IP, rather than turd blasting Villaneuve's original ideas.

Fuck everyone involved in BR2.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm surprised Ford is willing to reprise these roles.
This will sort of ruin the ambiguities in the first movie.

http://bladerunner.wikia.com/wiki/Deckard_as_Replicant

Is Deckard a Replicant? The question has been asked since Blade Runner was first released in 1982.

Today, most people well-versed in Blade Runner are convinced that Deckard is, like Rachael, a replicant who thinks he is human. Paul M. Sammon clearly and methodically lays out the arguments.

With the 2007 release of the Final Cut, some say the argument can be finally put to rest. Ridley Scott, with full control of the media, has put/left in the unicorn dream sequence as Deckard is sitting at the piano daydreaming. Thus, at the end of the movie, Deckard's knowing nod when he picks up Gaff's origami unicorn and recollection of Gaff's last comment concerning Rachael signifies Deckard's own realization of the facts.
One interesting point that comes up is what Bryant really knows. Does Gaff know that Deckard is a replicant while Bryant does not? Or is it okay with Bryant that a replicant retirer is a replicant himself?
Ridley Scott has mentioned this matter in several interviews. BBC News ran a story about this in 2000, where he concludes that Deckard is a replicant. [1]

Also in a interview Ridley Scott did in Wired magazine in 2007[2], he explained this matter:

Wired: It was never on paper that Deckard is a replicant.
Scott: It was, actually. That's the whole point of Gaff, the guy who makes origami and leaves little matchstick figures around. He doesn't like Deckard, and we don't really know why. If you take for granted for a moment that, let's say, Deckard is a Nexus 7, he probably has an unknown life span and therefore is starting to get awfully human. Gaff, at the very end, leaves an origami, which is a piece of silver paper you might find in a cigarette packet, and it's a unicorn. Now, the unicorn in Deckard's daydream tells me that Deckard wouldn't normally talk about such a thing to anyone. If Gaff knew about that, it's Gaff's message to say, "I've read your file, mate." That relates to Deckard's first speech to Rachael when he says, "That's not your imagination, that's Tyrell's niece's daydream." And he describes a little spider on a bush outside the window. The spider is an implanted piece of imagination. And therefore Deckard, too, has imagination and even history implanted in his head.

Wired: Harrison Ford is on record saying Deckard is not a replicant.
Scott: Yeah, but that was, like, 20 years ago. He's given up now. He said, "OK, mate. You win! Anything! Just put it to rest."

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
His movies are slow and impotent. The trailer for Sicario was great, then you go into the theater and watch a slow moving flaccid chode of a movie. Villaneuve sucks. Worse is that this is coopting the Blade Runner IP, rather than turd blasting Villaneuve's original ideas.

Fuck everyone involved in BR2.

hah (slow boring films are great for watching on sunday nights at home)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Fuck the additional cuts and fuck the "Deckard is a replicant" people. I realize that Scott re-cut the film to directly imply this, but it's stupid. If Deckard was a replicant the whole time then he doesn't really have an arc as a character. He went from hunting and retiring replicants to going on the run and falling in love with one. That transition is extremely important because it's supposed to be an analog for how people in society at large would view self-aware replicants.

Not to mention the timing wouldn't make any sense. Deckard has been working as a blade runner for a while, and yet if he were a replicant he's clearly more advanced than Rachel, who is a prototype more advanced than any of the Nexus 6 replicants that Deckard hunts. Deckard exhibits complex emotions and preferences all throughout the film, and pretty much gets the shit beat out of him in every confrontation with the Nexus 6 replicants. It wouldn't make sense that Deckard would be so much more complex from the perspective of his personality and emotions but still physically on par with a human.

And of course, in the original novel the film was based on Deckard is explicitly human.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I don't want this movie to exist, but for what it is, the trailer is fine. Anyone who has scene Drive (one of the best movies of the past 10 years) knows Gosling can do noir, so if this movie has to happen, I think choosing him is the right move. The trailer was vague and surely didn't blow anyone away, which I suppose is a missed opportunity. They should have shown some mind blowing architecture and overcrowded cities, things the original is known for.

This obviously has no basis from PKD. The original kept very few elements of Electric Sheep. So relial on source material isn't going to be an excuse or accusation.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Please for the love of God don't fuck this up for me. I see they are picking up where they left off. Oh fuck, Jared Leto...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Fuck the additional cuts and fuck the "Deckard is a replicant" people. I realize that Scott re-cut the film to directly imply this, but it's stupid. If Deckard was a replicant the whole time then he doesn't really have an arc as a character. He went from hunting and retiring replicants to going on the run and falling in love with one. That transition is extremely important because it's supposed to be an analog for how people in society at large would view self-aware replicants.

Not to mention the timing wouldn't make any sense. Deckard has been working as a blade runner for a while, and yet if he were a replicant he's clearly more advanced than Rachel, who is a prototype more advanced than any of the Nexus 6 replicants that Deckard hunts. Deckard exhibits complex emotions and preferences all throughout the film, and pretty much gets the shit beat out of him in every confrontation with the Nexus 6 replicants. It wouldn't make sense that Deckard would be so much more complex from the perspective of his personality and emotions but still physically on par with a human.

And of course, in the original novel the film was based on Deckard is explicitly human.

lololol

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Anymore? He's as deadpan and boring as the likes of Kevin Costner, Keanu Reeves, and Christian Bale.

The only saving grace is that most of the movies he's been in were good enough to not be ruined by his performance. I doubt this will be one of them.

I thought he was great as Han in Star Wars and Empire and also as Indiana Jones in Raiders and Temple of Doom.

His performances in those movies were charming and charismatic. They are the reason people even cared about his presence in movies.

In all honesty, he hasn't been great in much. But as Han and Indy in the first two of each of those series, he is the standout.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I thought he was perfectly cast in Witness and The Fugitive. very solid performance in 2 very solid films

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I guess. I just felt that in those films, he wasn't very dynamic or compelling.

He's a big name actor that, more often than not, doesn't really command the screen.

Seriously, watch Empire Strikes Back again and watch Harrison Ford become a superstar in that movie. Every scene he's in is a must watch/cant miss.

Harrison Ford has become the worst thing about nearly every movie he's in now. How the fuck did this even happen?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I guess. I just felt that in those films, he wasn't very dynamic or compelling.

He's a big name actor that, more often than not, doesn't really command the screen.

Seriously, watch Empire Strikes Back again and watch Harrison Ford become a superstar in that movie. Every scene he's in is a must watch/cant miss.

Harrison Ford has become the worst thing about nearly every movie he's in now. How the fuck did this even happen?

haha.
he's lost his sex appeal. back in the day I think he was good because there was something somewhat improvised about his acting. his charm came from his confidence - he was inspired.
he lost that, in Crystal Skulls and episode VII he kind of got some of it back.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Burned out from the lifestyle is my guess, and became more interested in flying than acting.

edit:
kKQzPD9.gif

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
haha.
he's lost his sex appeal. back in the day I think he was good because there was something somewhat improvised about his acting. his charm came from his confidence - he was inspired.
he lost that, in Crystal Skulls and episode VII he kind of got some of it back.

He didn't get any of it back in those films. Stop lying to people about movie shit, you manipulator.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I'm not worried about this at all. Dennis Villeneuve is a terrific director. I love his movies.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the movie business has gone senile. always clinging to IPs/universes already well established, often with only small variations, like some old man trying to relive the past. why can't they make some big movies with fresh ideas? for fucks sake.

And especially in this "genre"... there has been so much incredibly good cyberpunk/dark sci-fi material they could make a movie off. I'm going back to reading books.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
the movie business has gone senile. always clinging to IPs/universes already well established, often with only small variations, like some old man trying to relive the past. why can't they make some big movies with fresh ideas?

I thought about it for some time... the problem lies within the disappearance of individuality. A game like Mario just couldn't originate from our times, where 500 to 1000 faceless employees swat together like one well oiled machine to create just another product for the 7+ billion mass entertainment.

Another problem is the immense preservation of pop-culture achievements and the broad access to those. In my opinion, pop-culture drains it's ideas from higher art forms. In order to create Blade Runner, Ridley Scott didn't watch Blade Runner, or any other SF-flick, he listened to Mozart, read Stendhal and Halbwachs and studied the history of mankind and its religion.

This earlier mentioned access, seduces you to refrain from digging deeper into yourself and your own experiences and interpretations. Even a masterpiece like the first Matrix is just an amalgamate of one dimensional sources, put together like a collage in order to simulate individuality. Alas, character doesn't pay off -- and it can't be bought either.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Harrison was good in Pretty Woman.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
In order to create Blade Runner, Ridley Scott didn't watch Blade Runner, or any other SF-flick, he listened to Mozart, read Stendhal and Halbwachs and studied the history of mankind and its religion.
First of all: Excellent post, I concur with most of it (and I will throw in that "The Arrival" [and maybe "Interstellar", even though it has a lot of references to "2001"] was a recent good, creative Sci-Fi flick).
What I disagree with is that Scott didn't check on what was going on in SF at the time - there are a lot of visual references to the cyberpunk stories of the day (most prominently William Gibsons stories). But as is true with most good SF, the study of the human condition is at the core of any foray into an imaginary future (or alternate present/past), so you do have a strong point.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The sequel no one asked for. Literally no one. Cash grab.

But that teaser looked good. I bet it'll suck really bad, but I'm a sucker. Here, take my moneys!!!!!!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I watched Blade Runner as a kid but forgot most of it. I'll probably rewatch it before watching this when it comes out on bluray.

+1

i watched blade runner on tv in the early 90's and don't remember much of it. probably need to watch it again to even know what this new movie is about.