Lmao Blade Runner 2049

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
The giant Atari logo is an example of what I mean about this being an imitation of a Blade Runner movie. What is the point of it? Yeah, there's a neon Atari sign in Blade Runner.

When I first saw the trailer I thought it was for a video game. Then I said "Atari doesn't even make games anymore" then I realised it was just a scene in the movie.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Rogue One was a very good Star Wars movie.

Wow what. Rogue one was fucking shit. Take out the name star wars and tell me that movie was good. It was packed to the brim with unlikable characters. Packed full.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow what. Rogue one was fucking shit. Take out the name star wars and tell me that movie was good. It was packed to the brim with unlikable characters. Packed full.

I disagree...

Rogue One is a snapshot, a short story. I feel the "A Star Wars Story" that is found underneath the "Rogue One" logo is extremely important.

The story isn't about the characters, it's about a mass sacrifice to get the Death Star plans into the hands of rebels and how one man made its downfall possible. It's not about the individual characters, it's about the over all story. I found the simple character development of the movie to be perfectly sufficient.

In the end, it filled in a gap in the overall SW saga, how the DS plans made its way to the rebellion and how the simple design flaw of the DS existed in the first place. The characters were simply a vehicle to get the main point across. I felt they did enough character development to move things along. I also feel that making you fall in love with them would have been a poor choice simply because they do indeed kill off nearly everyone involved.

I feel that it was well written, placed seamlessly in the SW universe, and adds to the overall story. It adds far more depth to Episode IV, and that's something I found entertaining.

EDIT
Lastly...I thought I'd add this. Redemption. An overall theme of SW is redemption. You're right, most of the people in Rogue are not likable...most did really shitty things. If you look at nearly everyone who died, they died trying to turn from those mistakes while trying to do something good for once. Honestly, I felt it worked well.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member

Cassian Andor was a great rebel. Tons of demons in his backstory and he does unscrupulous things to advance a cause he believes in with a devil-may-care attitude. Thought he was great.

Orson Krennic was a really good bad guy. While the ambition angle was a bit too played up, the used car salesmen smile on the outside-conniver was great. His costumes and that of his retinue were awesome.

General Draven seemed like a back against the wall general issuing orders and then pulling Andor aside to give him the straight dope.

The costuming and (re)creation of the ships and locations all felt true to Star Wars. I even found the background characters, those in Gerrara's clan to be cool. The one guy was sporting an Empire speederbike helmet with a mossygreen-aged glaze to it and it looked badass.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I liked rouge one.

giphy.gif

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Some people just can't handle a Star Wars movie without a Jedi in it. Rogue One was an awesome war story. Smokehouse basically nailed it. I think Rogue One is better than VII. And I think VII is better than VI.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
new trailer - time for a bump

I am worried about this one. Everyone involved had me initially hyped, but it seems like they are going down a predictable/lame path on the story. And so help me god if Gosling is Deckard and Rachael's "kid" I will walk the fuck out.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
new trailer - time for a bump

I am worried about this one. Everyone involved had me initially hyped, but it seems like they are going down a predictable/lame path on the story. And so help me god if Gosling is Deckard and Rachael's "kid" I will walk the fuck out.

Is Deckard Jr. a replicant?!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Cassian Andor was a great rebel.

Orson Krennic

General Draven

Are those actually the character's names? I'm not making a joke. I saw the movie and don't remember a single character except "the quipping robot", Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen and "30 seconds of Darth Vader to make SW fanboys jizz their pants". Say what you will about how good a Star Wars movie it is but to someone who doesn't give a shit about minute Star Wars lore, it's a completely forgettable action movie.

Also fuck this new Blade Runner. The first movie is an interesting piece of cinematic history (and Rutger Hauer's speech at the end is an all-time classic) but this just shouldn't exist.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Cassian Andor was a great rebel. Tons of demons in his backstory and he does unscrupulous things to advance a cause he believes in with a devil-may-care attitude. Thought he was great.

Orson Krennic was a really good bad guy. While the ambition angle was a bit too played up, the used car salesmen smile on the outside-conniver was great. His costumes and that of his retinue were awesome.

General Draven seemed like a back against the wall general issuing orders and then pulling Andor aside to give him the straight dope.

The costuming and (re)creation of the ships and locations all felt true to Star Wars. I even found the background characters, those in Gerrara's clan to be cool. The one guy was sporting an Empire speederbike helmet with a mossygreen-aged glaze to it and it looked badass.

IMG_1449.JPG

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Are those actually the character's names? I'm not making a joke. I saw the movie and don't remember a single character except "the quipping robot", Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen and "30 seconds of Darth Vader to make SW fanboys jizz their pants". Say what you will about how good a Star Wars movie it is but to someone who doesn't give a shit about minute Star Wars lore, it's a completely forgettable action movie.

Also fuck this new Blade Runner. The first movie is an interesting piece of cinematic history (and Rutger Hauer's speech at the end is an all-time classic) but this just shouldn't exist.

You're nearing the argument of art vs. design. Design can look like art, but it's mass production belies a cheapness of thought. Art can be very hit or miss, and the payoff is almost always not as high as a design production.

100proof

10 Year Member
You're nearing the argument of art vs. design. Design can look like art, but it's mass production belies a cheapness of thought. Art can be very hit or miss, and the payoff is almost always not as high as a design production.

Not following what you're responding to.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
That is what I want to lean towards as well.

btw - love the avatar!

Thanks! I figured the toddler with the sex doll was getting boring. I like the shading on that Michael Myers pic.

Maybe not in the same league as Hot Spike Spiegel though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not following what you're responding to.

So here we have your sentiment, which I share, that Rogue One was a forgettable action movie

And that Blade Runner was a piece of cinematic history.

Empire Strikes Back was a piece of cinematic history, regardless of if you are a huge fanboy. It was one of the best space operas ever released. And the fan following lead the studio to look for ways to expand upon it and increase profitability.

In comes the cookie cutters. RotJ was acceptable, as ESB needed some closure (but did not need Ewoks, which were brought in to create toy sales). But then you get the prequilogy, and then the post trilogy movie, and then the tween movie, Rogue One. And they have lost the artisitc feeling, but they retain the IP, and overall style. This is Design.

Blade Runner was art. Scott delivered a product with a very unique atmosphere, with the stage creation and the music coming together to bring what we have enjoyed for about 37 years now. The new movie is simply going to lift the stage set style, the Vangelis soundtrack, and then add in Gosling and some other fresh faces. This is where the art becomes design - when you take something good, and find out how to mass produce it.

I guess the main difference is the artist says "I have an amazing story that I want to tell you."
And the hollywood guys says "I have some really popular IP I want to sell to you."

And sales is an art, as we see with JJ Abrams, who is not an artist at all, but his ability to resell the same old constructs over and over is an art.

Marek

Banned
New trailer

Ridley Scott is a dottering old feggit with an apitite for necroediting the original Blade Runner.

Fucking lame. This is a movie I will absolutely not pay for in any way, but will see, because I have to.

100proof

10 Year Member
Got it. Yes, I largely agree and that was kind of what I was getting to. I respect Empire Strikes Back as a well-made movie despite the fact that space operas in general do nothing for me but Rogue One, as someone who has no personal attachment to Star Wars, seems like an empty husk. A soulless product designed to deliver a specific thing to a specific demographic. Like a Skinner box for jaded Star Wars fans: Push button, receive empty nostalgia.