@MCF 76 - Sega Mega Drive Gleylancer

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Hey MCF 76,

I can't PM anymore. I wasn't able to reply to you.

If it helps I've posted some close up pictures of my Gleylancer cartridge.

gleylancer-cart-01.jpg

gleylancer-cart-02.jpg

gleylancer-cart-03.jpg

gleylancer-cart-04.jpg

I haven't opened this cart so I can't say 100% it's authentic but I believe it is.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Thanks Eric,

Here's my pic's the cart label is very different the placement of the character's, font on the 1992 and few other things look wrong.

The insert is gloss front and back which I have never seen before. There is some weird faint yellowish print on the back of the insert.

Back of insert.

Manual is real glossy on all pages front and back. And it smells like fresh paper and ink. I know that sounds weird but a game that's almost 25 years old should not be like that.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
There are subtle differences between this one and mine. I haven't opened my cart but I've not seen a SKY ROM before in a Sega game, so that looks iffy. I think the board should have SEGA screened on it as well. The date on the cart label is a different font to mine. The MD logo also looks wrong, like it's squashed. The insert is too glossy. It should be thin matte paper - compare it side by side with pretty much any other MD insert (not NAMCOT, those are thicker). Also the edges are missing a millimeter or 2 of the picture. Same with the manual. The MD logo on the back is again not right. Scary stuff, man :(

Where did you get it from? I think there is a Korean version of the game, so might be worth comparing with a known legit Korean version as well. If I was a betting man though, my money would be on fake.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I see what you mean about the font on the 1992 NCS CORP.
And check out the blonde haired guy character. On my cart (vs. yours) he appears to be in a slightly different position.

On mine the guys pointing finger is pointing at the ship wing. Yours is pointing at the ship body.
And on mine the guys toe is further back from the ship than on yours.

What does the back of the board look like? How are the solder joints?

Keep in mind, I haven't opened mine. Even though I believe mine is authentic I can't say it's a fact.

And wyo_vr4 makes a great point. Maybe authentic versions from different regions have subtle differences. If they got manufactured by different companies/factories that could easily happen.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I see what you mean about the font on the 1992 NCS CORP.
And check out the blonde haired guy character. On my cart (vs. yours) he appears to be in a slightly different position.

On mine the guys pointing finger is pointing at the ship wing. Yours is pointing at the ship body.
And on mine the guys toe is further back from the ship than on yours.

What does the back of the board look like? How are the solder joints?

Keep in mind, I haven't opened mine. Even though I believe mine is authentic I can't say it's a fact.

And wyo_vr4 makes a great point. Maybe authentic versions from different regions have subtle differences. If they got manufactured by different companies/factories that could easily happen.

I have seen quite a few MD boots with factory solder, so that's not a guarantee in this case. Mass-produced Chinese boots are all over eBay now, and the quality is much higher than it used to be. If it was possible to open the cart without damaging the rear label, I'd do it to compare boards. Is there an MVS-scans type site for MD?

Marty: Can we get a pic of the back of your cart & PCB please?

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Well I'd say the PCB is definitely fake. Looks like a legit game was sacced and they replaced the front label with a good quality repro.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks Eric,

Here's my pic's the cart label is very different the placement of the character's, font on the 1992 and few other things look wrong.

The insert is gloss front and back which I have never seen before. There is some weird faint yellowish print on the back of the insert.

Back of insert.

Manual is real glossy on all pages front and back. And it smells like fresh paper and ink. I know that sounds weird but a game that's almost 25 years old should not be like that.

Yea, Marty that's a Repro for sure. Almost got dupped myself from a Japanese seller who was selling a Vampire Killer. It's a good thing I asked him for pictures before buying because it had similar differences like the Gleylancer you have. The Cart Label was off, the insert colors and paper material looked off and some fine print was missing. Plus that Pcb just looks off. It should have some sort of Logo on the PCB.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I bought this for Marty; from a member here, but through ebay. I'll PM the member to see if he can weigh in. There's plenty of time on the ebay and paypal claims if need be.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Thanks guys for weighing in and Mike no worries my friend, it happens bro. :) :cool:

I had a bad feeling when I removed the insert and really inspected it without it being behind the clear sleeve of the case. Pic's just can't pick up what you can see with your own eye's. The insert is just weird, glossy front and back and it has a slight sticky feel to it. It feels like glossy photo paper and the colors are way to dark the red is way off and its not sunfade. Plus all the text has a slight blur to it as well, the insert is flawless way to pristine no wear from moving in the case over time.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
If you see insert and manual using glossy paper, most of time is chinese boots.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
It was bought at a shop in Japan by the seller. He's pm'd me here already - no issues at all and will refund us, Marty. I'll shoot you a link to the shipping label once I have it.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
And people wonder why I get mad when scans get posted. Oh hi wyndcrosser.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yeah, the Japanese shops have been compromised for a long time. This was made by someone with intent to defraud. The Chinese boots are immediately obvious and use all new parts.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yeah, the Japanese shops have been compromised for a long time. This was made by someone with intent to defraud. The Chinese boots are immediately obvious and use all new parts.

That sucks. Even in the shops when they are behind glass cases it's hard to get a good look. I wouldn't doubt that a large portion of the AES games in those shops are high quality boots as well.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes, these boots are getting better. Eventually MD collectors will be forced to damage the caution label on the back to verify if the cart is authentic or not. Especially if someone is dropping big money on a cart. I personally could care less for the caution label, as long as the front label is in great shape.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Yes, these boots are getting better. Eventually MD collectors will be forced to damage the caution label on the back to verify if the cart is authentic or not. Especially if someone is dropping big money on a cart. I personally could care less for the caution label, as long as the front label is in great shape.

If one of these bootlegging fagets could mass produce high quality caution label replacement, I would hate them just a little bit less ;)

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

That's how I feel if the caution label has to be peeled to verify then so be it. Man this hobby has been scarry the last few years about this stuff. Now it's getting to be a nightmare glad I'm almost done with the Sega stuff.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If one of these bootlegging fagets could mass produce high quality caution label replacement, I would hate them just a little bit less ;)

Just a matter of time. If they could do the Neo Aes caution labels I'm pretty sure they could do the MD ones. I've done this with a few MD carts already. Just want to make sure I'm getting what I paid for. Rather have two holes in the caution label than Knowing I dropped $150+ on a boot.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
It was bought at a shop in Japan by the seller. He's pm'd me here already - no issues at all and will refund us, Marty. I'll shoot you a link to the shipping label once I have it.

Got it buddy, glad dude was cool about it. Thanks again to all that helped on the pic's and to reference's and knowledge about the game.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Bro, stop buying high value games to avoid bootlegs :)
You dont see any ghouls n ghosts bootleg from china

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Is the PCB substrate between the contacts on the counterfeit being pale vs the authentic being golden brown due to lighting, or is this a possible difference that can be spotted without needing to open the cart? I don't know MD that well to where I can say "brown substrate is all it takes", but I'd wager that at the least, different colored substrates when a comparison can be made should point out a fake.

The contacts are all uniform size on the authentic cart as well, whereas the counterfeit's outermost contacts are a different size. Again though I don't know if some MD carts are different than others.