Scene in Beijing arcade, 2016

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
kofscene.jpg

Nearly 20 years later, the spirit of '97 lives on.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I stil think KOF 97 is one of the best in the series. Nice to see it is played so heavily there.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The guy far right is playing the braille version...

xROTx

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
97 was great gameplay wise....the music not so much, but I guess if your in a loud arcade it won't really matter anyway.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Everything about that picture screams "chinese bootleg".

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Seeing this makes me want to visit there, oh and I would like to own Cabs like these hope I'm able to afford one.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Cool pic Lone, good to see.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Cool pic Lone, good to see.

Arcades are still quite popular in shopping malls here. They are nearly always on the top floor. My old city I used to live in had a few hidden about, one being underground and another that eventually got turned into a massage parlor (RIP), another being right next to the kiddie playground section which made me feel like a huge faggot but fuck it it has Outrunners and House of the Dead.

KOF 97 has been the most popular KOF (and fighter) in arcades in the nearly 5 years I have lived here. I used to see Double Dragon regularly but not so much now. As for beat 'em ups, though not SNK, Cadillacs 'n Dinosaurs is no.1.

Eventually when China hits a recession in the next five years and I move to another third world shithole, it will be interesting to see the fates of arcades in China (hint: probably the same fate as American arcades).

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How much does a credit set you back on average?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
How much does a credit set you back on average?

Where I used to live it was 1RMB for 1 credit. 1RMB is about $00.14USD, or .12 pound sterling. So to play any candy cab game it was just 1 credit. Some of the shooters, like Let's Go Safari, House of the Dead 4, the Taito Elevator Action lightgun game were like 2 credits or more. There was an Outrun 2 cab with four cars and a camera to get your face on the cabinet and the cars moved and shit, that was 4 credits.

This arcade I went to tonight was a bit more expensive, about 5 credits for 10RMB. I only played Outrun 2 and that was 5 credits. Everything's more expensive in the capital, that's true all over the world.

edit: cab on the right was SFIV, guess I took a pic (who the fuck takes pics in an arcade anyway? can you guys imagine how fucking lame I felt doing that, all the while thinking 'whoa can't wait to share this with my ng.com bros'? fucking gay) while stage was loading or whatever

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
whoa, great stuff. But indeed - why '97 out of all of them?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the last kof arcade in london was also a 97. but i'm not complaining because 97 is my favourite one.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Got more chinese arcade pics?

OK, since you asked. These three are from my first week in China back in Feb 2012.

1.jpg
Not pictured is the escalator directly under it going down. Unfortunately, this arcade-rollerskating rink closed down earlier this year.
2.jpg
This arcade Plants VS Zombies was huge for a while and popular in other arcades as well.
3.jpg
Waiting, sitting, one day...later most of them would play Neo-Geo and CPS-2 games.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Because there's an 8 image limit per post

These are from the arcade last night.

4.jpg
VR is catching on big in China. Every big mall here has at least one VR kiosk.
5.jpg
Outrun 2 Special Deluxe Cab
7.jpg

8.jpg
This Deadstorm cabinet moves, I love this game. Shit's like a video game rollercoaster. The old arcade I went to had this, and it was only 1 credit to play...
9.jpg
Contrary to dance players worldwide these young mofos took forever to choose a song.
6.jpg
This mall is tall as hell...but when in China, always scope out the top floor for an arcade.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Arcades are still a thing in China. When I am in Shanghai there is a couple I usually hit up. Lat time there was some kind of dragon boat festival or something though and they were all closed. :confused:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The guy far right is playing the braille version...

xROTx

He looks lonely. Probably trying to figure out why he's all alone, not realizing KOF shits all over Street Fighter IV.

I bet they all beat his ass later.

There was an Outrun 2 cab with four cars and a camera to get your face on the cabinet and the cars moved and shit, that was 4 credits.

That Outrun 2 cab is my dream cab....

They have it by me and rape me for like $2.50 a pop and Game Works.

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Nice pics still would like to get one of those Arcade Cabs if their cheaper than the Japanese Cabs. Oh and it's great to see people still playing KOF 97 makes me happy even though I'm all about KOF 01.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Nice pics still would like to get one of those Arcade Cabs if their cheaper than the Japanese Cabs. Oh and it's great to see people still playing KOF 97 makes me happy even though I'm all about KOF 01.

Yea those cabs aren't cheaper. Don't you live in California? Are you so lazy that you can't find one? I hear they are all over the place. Stop posting man, you piss me off.