Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
The SNES never dies, it will live on in the hands of the fans who want it's legacy to continue shining!

fustylad

n00b
The SFC version of the game will be available from Play Asia tomorrow! Will anyone try to order?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Same here. My copy isn't scheduled to arrive until monday though. I'm excited to give the game a shot.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I put money towards the KS, but when that failed, I took my money elsewhere. For a game on an older console, I went with Watermelon's Paprium instead. That at least I know runs at a good frame rate. Watermelon makes some top notch shit, and it really shows with Paprium.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Kinda sad that the game looks pretty nice on static pics but abysmal when it moves.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Like lots of people, I was really interested in this when it was first announced. At first I thought it was a bit obscure to choose the Super Famicom as the platform of choice when the Dreamcast, or maybe even the Saturn, would have been better picks.

Nevertheless, if you've ever played or seen Gundam Wing: Endless Duel on the SFC, you'll know that the SFC can handle big bold sprites well in a one-on-one beat 'em up.

This looks nothing like Endless Duel in terms of quality. It looks slow and jerky... I think Power Athlete looks better!

If this was programmed by ex-SNK staff, then they must have been the bottom of the wrung Fight Fever guys (I know that wasn't programmed by SNK, ok?).

This looks like it's going to be a release for die hard beat 'em up fans or SFC collectors, so I shall be, sadly, giving it a miss.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
robertd.gif
Right on the money!

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
That's because the game is like 2 steps away from being literally doujin shit from the 90s.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Really interested to see the opinions of people when they receive it...

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
This looks like it's going to be a release for die hard beat 'em up fans or SFC collectors, so I shall be, sadly, giving it a miss.

I still find it amusing when you Poms call fighting games "beat 'em ups".

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm glad I kept my pre-order in the end. I nearly cancelled it mainly due to the horrendous box art but since all my games are stored in boxes rather than on a shelf it will be hidden away most of the time. I get what people are saying about the frame rate and I admit its hard to go back to SNES fighting games after playing Neo Geo fighters and various other arcade versions via MAME, however since its a new SNES game in 2017 and I do love the console then why the hell not even if its for novelty purposes. My bother is also a retro gamer so I'm sure we will have a good blast on this one when it arrives.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Well if you can subjectively adjust to a SNES mindset when playing it, I'm sure some maybe curious to see how it does I guess.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
This Youtube blogger did an unboxing and play-through. The game kind breaks down like this for me:

The Good:

Very cool packaging; a modern twist on a classic Super Famicom cart.
Simple but enjoyable music.
Neo-Geo-esque sound effects.
Good game play (this is probably the most important plus).
Character design & standing animation.
Overall graphics of the game.

The Bad:

Lacking in animation and choppy.
Only 6 playable characters.
Very limited soundtrack.

As it is, I wouldn't pay more than $50.00 for this shipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltr4mtmRCCo

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Well then if you have Prime on Amazon USA they just listed it as I linked the other day for $49.95 shipped. I'm not sure, but if you preorder it, that should I imagine being a new game chop 20% off that making it $40.