Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
The cover art is by far the best looking thing in regards to this game

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
the shiny gold is the only good thing about it

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
New SNES game?Awesome!
Like the character Reinhardt::)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
What a shit looking game.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Will this game even come out, now that the Kickstarter campaign has failed?

I know, nobody cares because game looks like wet dogshit. Well, except for me, apparently. :)

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Will this game even come out, now that the Kickstarter campaign has failed?

I know, nobody cares because game looks like wet dogshit. Well, except for me, apparently. :)

Yes, the kickstarter was only for the SNES version. The SFC version comes out next week.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Yes, the kickstarter was only for the SNES version. The SFC version comes out next week.

Seriously? I totally didn't understand that whole KS campaign then. :lolz:

Okay...but I'm pretty sure there'll be a US/EU release later on regardless then, if the game is completed. They just wanted the funding money to make it easier/ to drum up some attention, I'd wager. I have the SFC version preordered anyway, despite the box artwork, and I'm glad to hear that one will come out for sure though.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
From Facebook:
*Edit - the manual has come cool art. I hope that's the regular edition's box art when the gold box sells out.
17626222_1608126629205405_3952113264197511751_n.jpg

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I have the SFC version preordered anyway, despite the box artwork, and I'm glad to hear that one will come out for sure though.

It has its raison d'etre covered as a sort of classic gaming statement, corresponding with our retro zeitgeist. It's also a nice retail object, pop-art love letter etc. ...it just does everything to avoid being played, but that's a minor for today's shelves.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
It has its raison d'etre covered as a sort of classic gaming statement, corresponding with our retro zeitgeist. It's also a nice retail object, pop-art love letter etc. ...it just does everything to avoid being played, but that's a minor for today's shelves.

Well, I WILL play it (as I play all Neo games) and for now, I'm excited by the prospect. Sure it looks painfully slow but who knows, maybe it feels "right" somehow. I'm waaaay too much of a fighting game nut to pass this up. ^^

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sure it looks painfully slow but who knows, maybe it feels "right" somehow.

Slow is NOT the problem. A painfully low frame rate is not equal to a slow paced, yet rock solid, so to speak, 60fps game. Not by light years.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
any way you look at it: this ain't no neo game.

That's not how I meant it. :) I was just refering to those neverending quibs about people with AES games only have them to admire them in the shelf, never touching them.

NG Dev Games, on the other hand, are true Neo games for me, despite SNK not being involved....but, while matter of numerous debates, is another story altogether.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a hard time believing in 2017 with fucking drones everywhere & 3D printers there isn't software to create in-between animation to improve smoothness. I mean they could have created the sprites using cel-shaded CGI and that might have worked better.. but I think the choppiness is what kept most Western fans away.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Slow is NOT the problem. A painfully low frame rate is not equal to a slow paced, yet rock solid, so to speak, 60fps game. Not by light years.

You're not wrong, of course. A slow game is not the same thing as a choppy one.
Regardless I'm excited for the experience, simply because it's more fun than to be critical all the time. :)

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I have a hard time believing in 2017 with fucking drones everywhere & 3D printers there isn't software to create in-between animation to improve smoothness. I mean they could have created the sprites using cel-shaded CGI and that might have worked better.. but I think the choppiness is what kept most Western fans away.

It's not that they can't create in between frames, it's more that they chose to budget their memory with different priorities. There is only so much you can pack into memory, and it may be that they chose more variety of moves and more lush backgrounds rather than budgeting for core fighting functionality. I personally would have put more emphasis on the gameplay and making sure it plays like a core fighter before expanding other aspects of the game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The center point in the sprites is off as well, I don't think that's a budget issue but just poor coding. If I can do it on Mugen and I'm an illiterate bastard, why can't they?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The difference being that Mugan runs on your PC that has vastly more horsepower than an SNES.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
The center point in the sprites is off as well, I don't think that's a budget issue but just poor coding. If I can do it on Mugen and I'm an illiterate bastard, why can't they?
bcuz they're actually programming it and not using cookie cutter martha stewart game making software

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm talking about the center of a sprite, do you know what that is? It's not about horsepower, not about how many frames of animation are there, none of that. The center of a sprite is determined by X and Y on a grid, it doesn't take away from anything, just proper coding regardless of the medium. Have you watched the video? Check that werewolf, it looks like it's having seizures, his sole standing animation is off center, the sprites aren't position consistently, I dunno why get defensive over something so obvious.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's not that they can't create in between frames, it's more that they chose to budget their memory with different priorities. There is only so much you can pack into memory, and it may be that they chose more variety of moves and more lush backgrounds rather than budgeting for core fighting functionality. I personally would have put more emphasis on the gameplay and making sure it plays like a core fighter before expanding other aspects of the game.

They aren't "lush" backgrounds. Even if they were, static backgrounds do not gobble memory like animation frames. And memory is much cheaper now.

It probably comes down to the time & money to draw the in-betweens and if these guys are too tied up with other work to add more animation.