Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I just came back in to say, I think they are missing a great opportunity to make the most advanced fighter on the SNES. In this era of extremely cheap memory, upping the meg count past 32 would give the developers the freedom to make the best animated game ever seen on the system.
Agreed, upping the megs to 64 would have made Unholy Night notable just for its sheer scope. Imagine how much animation could be included with such a relatively small roster of characters.

I don't have the highest of expectations for UN after having seen the video. I'm just supporting it in hopes that other developers run with the idea.

Last edited:

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
So play-asia put up what could be cover art for Unholy Night. It looks bad and I hope the final cover is a lot better.

I know the quality of the game itself is debatable but the in-game pixel art alone deserve better than this.

http://www.play-asia.com/unholy-night-the-darkness-hunter/13/70aw3p?sc1=89001151
unholy-night-the-darkness-hunter-508165.11.jpg

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So play-asia put up what could be cover art for Unholy Night. It looks bad and I hope the final cover is a lot better.

I know the quality of the game itself is debatable but the in-game pixel art alone deserve better than this.

http://www.play-asia.com/unholy-night-the-darkness-hunter/13/70aw3p?sc1=89001151

It has a very temporary FPO vibe to it. I'll be somewhat shocked if that's the final cover...but not totally shocked. It's honestly not bad at all, and better than most doujin covers. The maid in the foreground has huge saggy balls though :lolz: [good luck unseeing that btw]

Last edited:

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Looks like there's a Kickstarter for a SNES version up now. Unfortunately, I am having trouble getting the video for the Kickstarter to play. I was hoping to see an improved frame rate.

There is, however, a new cover that us Neo Geo weebs might like. ;)
UnholyNightSNES.jpg

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
yeah. we'll probably continue to see carts from indie developers and stuff. I think thats cool. I mean the thing is like, we ultimately play games digitally now and thats the end of the line besides VR stuff. So now everyone can go back, choose their way, and make games for it...

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
it looks like a doujinshi from 2001

I agree with most of the criticisms leveled against this so far from the videos shown, but I cant help but think if this gets just a bit more smoothed out it will be a very cool project and game. I chose to back it so I'll be excited to see what happens. Even if its not magnificent, Im happy to show support for and hopefully encourage more older and and experienced game devs working on old consoles again.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Dropping $40.00 on the Kickstarter for this to get the game packaged with a controller is a good value. And, I'd do it if this happens:

-More memory added to increase animation, frame-rate, and speed; it's too floaty and slow as it stands now. SFII set the standard for a quality fighter on the SNES and 20+ years later it should exceed this at the least.
-with a Kickstarter contribution, you receive the ROM file that's usable with popular SNES emulators; in this age, a digital copy should always be inlcuded with purchases of physical media so you can use the game anywhere, anytime. For example, I don't own the hardware to play this, but I'd still pay the $40.00 if I can get a ROM with it.

Shit, I'm almost even tempted to buy the game or get ahold of a system if this game improves on the issue I mentioned above. Otherwise, I won't buy it. It's 2017, and with memory much cheaper this game should blow your mind with it's visuals.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
As far as I've read, no, just Super Famicom/SNES. If anything probably due to cost as it's cheap to develop something physical for.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Looks like the kickstarter isn't running too well isn't it? I have to admit though I won't back it either as they're showing so little and what they show doesn't look too tempting.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
In the video I saw it looked painfully slow, though hopefully that can be rectified.

Honestly, if that's a factor, maybe fighting games from that era aren't your thing?

KOF matches are fun and all, but SS is "slow" and it's a thinking man's fighting game.

I personally prefer the slower, more strategic fighting games.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Looks like the kickstarter isn't running too well isn't it? I have to admit though I won't back it either as they're showing so little and what they show doesn't look too tempting.

I agree in that the campaign/post itself is not put together very well. I think it may be an inexperience with kickstarter/language barrier thing.

Also, given that the game is "done," I would presume more footage of gameplay would be shown. At the time anyway, I couldn't get the video to even play, so I have zero idea what it contained. I suppose I could go check again. :P

edit:

Ok, so I did go back and look, and now the video is running for me. I will say the combos look cool. Lots of juggles, etc. Frame rate still looks a little low, but it is on the SNES/SFC.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Have to agree on the campaign thing, it's not enough just to shove something up and leave it like has been done. All the most successful campaigns put a LOT of work into it the whole month long.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The Kickstarter campaign is only a few days from finishing. I backed it at the beggining, but it's looking like it's no way in hell gonna make it. Poorly run campaigns with little to no updates and no questions answered always fail hard. They needed someone savvy to run their campaign for them.

I was mastly backing this, because I want to see more independent developers create games for SNES. The game itself looked a little slow and clunky.