Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Unholy Night is just unplayable

Maybe this was the point? To reflect on present trends, a perfect collectors item was delivered, including a manga-styled fan-service cover, an ubermint paper box for the shelf with an unplayable Super Famicom game inside, because it wouldn't be played anyway, yet looks great on photos?

The tiresome slogan this is a work of art becomes alive with Unholy Night. If you strip a game off it's function, i.e. deliberately make it unplayable, you create nothing less, but an objet d'art. Sort of like a streamlined, aerodynamic shaped supersonic jet... made out of pure wolfram.

I salute you NU GAIA, this was long overdue.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
From the Kickstarter Campaign:
A2BsATl.png

Everything about that employee list just screams "Why in the everloving fuck didn't you develop this on the Neo-Geo instead?"

It's like getting an IT person that's stupidly good at Windows, but they want to use a Mac as a domain controller "just because".

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
The tiresome slogan this is a work of art becomes alive with Unholy Night. If you strip a game off it's function, i.e. deliberately make it unplayable, you create nothing less, but an objet d'art. Sort of like a streamlined, aerodynamic shaped supersonic jet... made out of pure wolfram.

Having rewatched Ghost World recently, Unholy Night strikes me as the gaming equivalent to the tampon in a teacup. "It's a found art object..."

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Maybe this was the point? To reflect on present trends, a perfect collectors item was delivered, including a manga-styled fan-service cover, an ubermint paper box for the shelf with an unplayable Super Famicom game inside, because it wouldn't be played anyway, yet looks great on photos?

Unless Nu Gaia hates money, I highly doubt it. I am among the people who weren't all that eager to jump in and invest in a pre-order simply because the gameplay shown wasn't promising enough. I thought the backgrounds were barely passable and looked more like scanned in placeholders rather than something that would actually make it into the finished product. This game was a disappointment, for sure. If Nu Gaia plans on releasing other titles, this was not the best way to establish credibility.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Seeing that list again makes me think with those who worked on AOF, SS LB and KOF stuff they could do better. It smells of their failed kickstarter and refusing to take a hint so they went with what money they could get together and put out an unfinished product on a chip to small store something greater.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Seeing that list again makes me think with those who worked on AOF, SS LB and KOF stuff they could do better. It smells of their failed kickstarter and refusing to take a hint so they went with what money they could get together and put out an unfinished product on a chip to small store something greater.

Sup Tanooki. I think this may have indeed been the case.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Sup Tanooki. I think this may have indeed been the case.

It's the only thing that fits. Seeing the game franchises they worked on and their part, they're clearly not slobs, idiots, and coat tail riders with no talent. The KS failed hard, and they wanted to do what they wanted to do and only put up so much money since KS didn't give them the partial funding. They got finances somewhere else or their own and it limited them to an amateur box effort and a game that's probably 2/3 of what they intended to do probably in twice the space. I know people like to bitch about both things here, but look what Takara did on the SNES and also Capcom in 1996 with that SDD1 backed Street Fighter Alpha 2. There was plenty of room to do far more with or without using a compression chip like Capcom did. Something in the middle of that could have been accomplished and done pretty well I would imagine.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Even at 27 bucks, I'm still having a hard time to convince myself to buy this.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Hmmm.... now 26... really tempted to get it just for laughs or as a conversation piece.... ;)

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That was a fast drop of 4 days and $6. Is it bottomed out or will it go further to get rid of the unwanted stock.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Had to pick it up for $20 as well. May as well see this crap for myself.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Looks like Amazon finally sold through all their stock. It's only available from 3rd party sellers for $50.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

That whole video games are art...bunch of horseshit, specially when it comes to this POS.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
That whole video games are art...bunch of horseshit, specially when it comes to this POS.

Couldn't agree more. It's like you defined it: there is some art in video games, in the sense of a craft, but they are not designed as such. If a sprite is beautifully drawn, a gameplay masterfully conceived and technical aspects blend in perfectly -- sure, this is all part of it, being skilled crafts and trades of art.

Yet, there is a serious limitation, because, first and foremost, video games are a product, one with specific use in mind, that, per definition, "involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device". If you let that out, you'd have art, but not a video game anymore.

If art was a summation of, let's say, a simple 2+2, then the outcome could be anything but 4. Video games, as applied arts, are designed to be a 4 from start to finish. Sure, you can use them as anything else, too, just like that damn urinal, but their pre-defined sense will always remain unscratched and ultimately destroy the poetic art perspective.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Looks like there's been a replenishment of the game at amazon.com. If it drops back down to $20.00 or less I'll bite. $50.00? Hell no.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I was stoked for a new fighting game but after seeing and hearing everything wrong with the game I'm having a hard time even justifying $20. I saw it dropped to that price and I hesitated hard for a few days and it sold out. Even if it drops I don't know if I'd do it. The Super Famicom box art sucked but the SNES one was a bit better.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
Sorry I just saw $50 from Amazon and $20 from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Is the Warehouse Deals legit?