Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
It's shocking how bad the BGM is. Also the backgrounds really look like touched up scans, ugly as sin. The plastic of the cart looks incredibly cheap and low quality even when seeing it on a youtube video.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The asinine failure of the R5 is that it has a catalog of preprogrammed in CRC checks, if a game isn't on the table, it won't work.

Ah, that explains a lot of the issues I've heard about the R5 unit. That's a real shame regarding the general compatibility.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Back when those firmware updates were regular and it was new I had made friends with the guy coding all that stuff, he was from New Zealand but on contract in HK doing the work for hyperkin so I got tipped off to all sorts of stuff. Basically the worst is the NES, and because of all those memory mappers really, so ultimately he made a lame hack that allows mapper 0-4 to auto detect which helped pick up quite a few homebrew.

It stopped there though, nothing more was performed for the other compatible carts. They all must be found on a roster of CRCs and match what is there too, or the game fails, even if by some means of it being legit and they missed archiving the CRC in their firmware.

It's a really dumbassed way they did it, but it's part of their security thing so it's not like the Retrofreak which can just run ROM dumps off a SD card or just dump the games and run the ROMs like that device does too. I'm not sure how the RetroFreak works, don't think it uses a CRC but it's still the same general emulation/android core going on though.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Looks like fun and if thats from former SNK people should be a nice collectors item as well.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
Unfortunately the current scart to hdmi upscaler I am using has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio for everything, I did order an OSSC to fix this problem but was on a long waiting list to get one. I should be getting one in May so my vids are a lot sharper. Sorry about that :(

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Hmm interesting. I wonder why it doesn't work? Thank you so much for looking into this.

If the game has any type of copy protection measures in place it will not work on a Retron5, Game Freak, Retrode, etc. No different than DVS' unlicensed South American SNES games or original runs of Chinese MD carts.

I don't know for sure if that's actually the case, but if they didn't bother with at least some type of protection scheme they're complete fools.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
So I got to go to Retro City Games, a local shop that let me test it on their Retron 5 and it does not appear to work. It will dump the game, load it as UNKNOWN CARTRIDGE, then ask if you want to play it anyway. Pressing OK yields a black screen and nothing else. Not surprising, many repros don't work of the retron 5 and this game is made like any other cheap repro, sadly. :\

Thanks for watching my video BTW :)
FWIW I was able to dump kirakira night and 8bit music power on the retrofreak and they work just fine. anyone know how to removed the header info to get the rom playable on emulators? I cant get either dumps to work on emulators

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
FWIW I was able to dump kirakira night and 8bit music power on the retrofreak and they work just fine. anyone know how to removed the header info to get the rom playable on emulators? I cant get either dumps to work on emulators

Now I wonder if this crap game will work on the Retrofreak...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Looks like fun and if thats from former SNK people should be a nice collectors item as well.

Buy them all while you can and flip 'em later or hoard them if you prefer, but don't blink or you'll miss out this great opportunity to have this Metal Jesus certified hidden gem!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Buy them all while you can and flip 'em later or hoard them if you prefer, but don't blink or you'll miss out this great opportunity to have this Metal Jesus certified hidden gem!

Hide a gem in this...

5682541902943314201.jpg

DreamTR

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I am sorry. This game is almost unplayable. It's beyond choppy. The joke is that yes, the AAA titles of the SNES fighting genre from 25 years ago were fluid. How can this not be made to be at least like that? It feels like I am playing Rise of the Robots or an even choppier Primal Rage from the arcade when it was awful (really early versions). The movements are insanely bad, and I will say the "shimmy" in this game outdoes any Street Fighter V character.

We were planning on doing this for our weekly fight nights. We have a good contingency of hardcore / mid-level players who are experienced in fighting games and unfortunately this one goes on the "are you kidding me?" shelf.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hide a gem in this...

5682541902943314201.jpg

Healthy! I'd put little ball of ham to work! Deem protruding cheekbones...sink my teeh in all that cushion!!!!

Edit: Prime canvas them cheeks for some well placed/slapped cock prints...ahhhh, nothing better, lololololol

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Healthy! I'd put little ball of ham to work! Deem protruding cheekbones...sink my teeh in all that cushion!!!!

Edit: Prime canvas them cheeks for some well placed/slapped cock prints...ahhhh, nothing better, lololololol

This was pretty much the answer I was expecting.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I am sorry. This game is almost unplayable. It's beyond choppy. The joke is that yes, the AAA titles of the SNES fighting genre from 25 years ago were fluid. How can this not be made to be at least like that? It feels like I am playing Rise of the Robots or an even choppier Primal Rage from the arcade when it was awful (really early versions). The movements are insanely bad, and I will say the "shimmy" in this game outdoes any Street Fighter V character.

We were planning on doing this for our weekly fight nights. We have a good contingency of hardcore / mid-level players who are experienced in fighting games and unfortunately this one goes on the "are you kidding me?" shelf.

enjoy your kusoge :)

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I really do wonder if this game would benefit from an overclock solution like Super Double Dragon. Is anyone here messing around with this game outside of actual hardware yet?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Speed ain't gonna help this metal jesus certified hidden gem, lol.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Too bad it turned out to be such a letdown. I was really pumped to play this, but now I don't think it's worth my money. I'm not one of those assholes who buys these just to turn a profit on eBay once they're sold out. Anyway, I got my Paprium pre-ordered for the MegaDrive. Turns out Sega's console really does what Nintendon't.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Oh well. Hopefully the dev team will take all this feedback and either apply it to a new project or attempt their vision on hardware that the team is more comfortable with/without limitations. This one may be a miss, but I'd hate to see the team give up after one project/attempt.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
This one may be a miss, but I'd hate to see the team give up after one project/attempt.

On a pure theoretical level this one was a hit, on a practical one, it was a sure miss. I my opinion, there's no room for a 'maybe'. The development team is still worth it, but they need a proper producer, someone, who won't 'miss' the targeted vision when the first difficult decisions arise.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Well I finally got my copy from Play Asia, it takes ages to get stuff to the UK from them. My cart doesn't even work dead on arrival, I opened the extremely cheap and nasty shell and noticed that two pins on the PCB seem damaged, it appears some sort of impact damaged the copper coating. To top it all off the box even had damage to one side....Guess I will insist on a refund and will have to ship it back to H.K :( After reading all of the reviews and considering how awful the quality of the physical release is it might be for the best.

Not happy......

Last edited: