Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

Crazed MVS Addict

It's shocking how bad the BGM is. Also the backgrounds really look like touched up scans, ugly as sin. The plastic of the cart looks incredibly cheap and low quality even when seeing it on a youtube video.

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The asinine failure of the R5 is that it has a catalog of preprogrammed in CRC checks, if a game isn't on the table, it won't work.
    Ah, that explains a lot of the issues I've heard about the R5 unit. That's a real shame regarding the general compatibility.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Back when those firmware updates were regular and it was new I had made friends with the guy coding all that stuff, he was from New Zealand but on contract in HK doing the work for hyperkin so I got tipped off to all sorts of stuff. Basically the worst is the NES, and because of all those memory mappers really, so ultimately he made a lame hack that allows mapper 0-4 to auto detect which helped pick up quite a few homebrew.

It stopped there though, nothing more was performed for the other compatible carts. They all must be found on a roster of CRCs and match what is there too, or the game fails, even if by some means of it being legit and they missed archiving the CRC in their firmware.

It's a really dumbassed way they did it, but it's part of their security thing so it's not like the Retrofreak which can just run ROM dumps off a SD card or just dump the games and run the ROMs like that device does too. I'm not sure how the RetroFreak works, don't think it uses a CRC but it's still the same general emulation/android core going on though.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/
    Looking for the above stuff, Neo-Geo MVS, Dreamcast, and Gameboy(any) too.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Sarumaru View Post
    I made a video about it a couple days ago about Unholy Night and put it on YouTube if anybody here wants to check it out. The choppiness is all there and I really had a hard time finding good things to say about this game....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYq_YCj9nY&t=191s

But why record in widescreen (?)
    Last edited by zouzzz; 04-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.

- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -

Crazed MVS Addict

Looks like fun and if thats from former SNK people should be a nice collectors item as well.

Rugal's Thug

Unfortunately the current scart to hdmi upscaler I am using has a fixed 16:9 aspect ratio for everything, I did order an OSSC to fix this problem but was on a long waiting list to get one. I should be getting one in May so my vids are a lot sharper. Sorry about that

Armored Scrum Object

Quote Originally Posted by KRONOS View Post
    Hmm interesting. I wonder why it doesn't work? Thank you so much for looking into this.
    If the game has any type of copy protection measures in place it will not work on a Retron5, Game Freak, Retrode, etc. No different than DVS' unlicensed South American SNES games or original runs of Chinese MD carts.

I don't know for sure if that's actually the case, but if they didn't bother with at least some type of protection scheme they're complete fools.

Chang's Combo Meal #4

Quote Originally Posted by Sarumaru View Post
    So I got to go to Retro City Games, a local shop that let me test it on their Retron 5 and it does not appear to work. It will dump the game, load it as UNKNOWN CARTRIDGE, then ask if you want to play it anyway. Pressing OK yields a black screen and nothing else. Not surprising, many repros don't work of the retron 5 and this game is made like any other cheap repro, sadly. :\

Thanks for watching my video BTW
    FWIW I was able to dump kirakira night and 8bit music power on the retrofreak and they work just fine. anyone know how to removed the header info to get the rom playable on emulators? I cant get either dumps to work on emulators

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Opethian View Post
    FWIW I was able to dump kirakira night and 8bit music power on the retrofreak and they work just fine. anyone know how to removed the header info to get the rom playable on emulators? I cant get either dumps to work on emulators
    Now I wonder if this crap game will work on the Retrofreak...

Quote Originally Posted by bello View Post
    Looks like fun and if thats from former SNK people should be a nice collectors item as well.
    Buy them all while you can and flip 'em later or hoard them if you prefer, but don't blink or you'll miss out this great opportunity to have this Metal Jesus certified hidden gem!

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Jaguar View Post
    Buy them all while you can and flip 'em later or hoard them if you prefer, but don't blink or you'll miss out this great opportunity to have this Metal Jesus certified hidden gem!
    Hide a gem in this...

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me

KING of teh SCOOPS!

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyRear View Post
    Hide a gem in this...

Hiding a gem in that will cost you for the next 18 years of your life.

Cham Cham's Banana

I am sorry. This game is almost unplayable. It's beyond choppy. The joke is that yes, the AAA titles of the SNES fighting genre from 25 years ago were fluid. How can this not be made to be at least like that? It feels like I am playing Rise of the Robots or an even choppier Primal Rage from the arcade when it was awful (really early versions). The movements are insanely bad, and I will say the "shimmy" in this game outdoes any Street Fighter V character.

We were planning on doing this for our weekly fight nights. We have a good contingency of hardcore / mid-level players who are experienced in fighting games and unfortunately this one goes on the "are you kidding me?" shelf.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyRear View Post
    Hide a gem in this...

Healthy! I'd put little ball of ham to work! Deem protruding cheekbones...sink my teeh in all that cushion!!!!

Edit: Prime canvas them cheeks for some well placed/slapped cock prints...ahhhh, nothing better, lololololol
    Last edited by Dark Jaguar; 04-22-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces
    Healthy! I'd put little ball of ham to work! Deem protruding cheekbones...sink my teeh in all that cushion!!!!

Edit: Prime canvas them cheeks for some well placed/slapped cock prints...ahhhh, nothing better, lololololol
    This was pretty much the answer I was expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
    Xorthen was on my case for a few days via PM (and then some) offering to pay me $20 just to talk on the phone with me for an hour, but he chickened out or something and then decided to be an asshole in public towards me

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    ...and it didn't have to end like this. On the other hand -- of course it did. Though, if the sales will cover this, it could become another nail of "retro" gaming's casket.

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I am sorry. This game is almost unplayable. It's beyond choppy. The joke is that yes, the AAA titles of the SNES fighting genre from 25 years ago were fluid. How can this not be made to be at least like that? It feels like I am playing Rise of the Robots or an even choppier Primal Rage from the arcade when it was awful (really early versions). The movements are insanely bad, and I will say the "shimmy" in this game outdoes any Street Fighter V character.

We were planning on doing this for our weekly fight nights. We have a good contingency of hardcore / mid-level players who are experienced in fighting games and unfortunately this one goes on the "are you kidding me?" shelf.
    enjoy your kusoge
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Is there no moderation, anywhere on this entire site?

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

I really do wonder if this game would benefit from an overclock solution like Super Double Dragon. Is anyone here messing around with this game outside of actual hardware yet?

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Speed ain't gonna help this metal jesus certified hidden gem, lol.

Another Striker

Too bad it turned out to be such a letdown. I was really pumped to play this, but now I don't think it's worth my money. I'm not one of those assholes who buys these just to turn a profit on eBay once they're sold out. Anyway, I got my Paprium pre-ordered for the MegaDrive. Turns out Sega's console really does what Nintendon't.

KING of teh SCOOPS!

Speed ain't gonna help this metal jesus certified hidden gem, lol.
    QFT. I'd call it a turd but that would be a compliment. This is just a train wreck.

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

Oh well. Hopefully the dev team will take all this feedback and either apply it to a new project or attempt their vision on hardware that the team is more comfortable with/without limitations. This one may be a miss, but I'd hate to see the team give up after one project/attempt.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by BlackaneseNiNjA View Post
    This one may be a miss, but I'd hate to see the team give up after one project/attempt.
    On a pure theoretical level this one was a hit, on a practical one, it was a sure miss. I my opinion, there's no room for a 'maybe'. The development team is still worth it, but they need a proper producer, someone, who won't 'miss' the targeted vision when the first difficult decisions arise.

Crossed Swords Squire

Well I finally got my copy from Play Asia, it takes ages to get stuff to the UK from them. My cart doesn't even work dead on arrival, I opened the extremely cheap and nasty shell and noticed that two pins on the PCB seem damaged, it appears some sort of impact damaged the copper coating. To top it all off the box even had damage to one side....Guess I will insist on a refund and will have to ship it back to H.K After reading all of the reviews and considering how awful the quality of the physical release is it might be for the best.

Not happy......
    Last edited by Larrs888; 04-24-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Thread Information