Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've had some pretty good luck with Warehouse Deals in the past. Just be sure to read the description. I've had to send a couple things back because they didn't match. Like missing a manual or insert or something. You can get some pretty good deals on there sometimes.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I think that's the $20 one everyone was talking about, right? The used ones direct from Amazon?

It was previously listed as new on Amazon for twenty something. Still not worth it even at that price IMO.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Someone actually managed to find a use for it? Astonishing.

The price was going down to about $22.00 at it's lowest on Amazon.com. Given how broken the game is and not owning a SNES I couldn't justify more than $16 or $17 on it. I finally got to play around with it first-hand.. and it's faster than I thought, but so choppy. Play it and play any early Takara neo port for the system and it makes neo ports on the SNES play like masterpieces.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The price was going down to about $22.00 at it's lowest on Amazon.com. Given how broken the game is and not owning a SNES I couldn't justify more than $16 or $17 on it. I finally got to play around with it first-hand.. and it's faster than I thought, but so choppy. Play it and play any early Takara neo port for the system and it makes neo ports on the SNES play like masterpieces.

You're right in a way, still even at 15 bucks I don't think it's worth the time.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I ended up finding a ROM dump of the game to try out, I'm glad I did because I was getting curious enough to buy it. But yikes, it's next to unplayable. Choppiness in sprite animation detail aside, character movement is sloppy, jumping is floaty (even if you short hop), and there's a weird charge-up button mechanic that seems like a terrible idea for gaining super meter. Why would you have super meter that requires you to NOT attack or be attacked in a fighting game?? "hold on, let me stand here and charge my abilities".
The character sprites are too small on the screen, makes it feel too zoomed out for a fighting game, and their designs suffer from the sprites having to be so small.

$19.97 is still too much to occupy space on my shelf.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Why would you have super meter that requires you to NOT attack or be attacked in a fighting game?? "hold on, let me stand here and charge my abilities".

Are you talking about Art of Fighting series?

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Similar, but more clunky. But in AoF, meter was for Specials, and if I remember correctly you could gain meter and use it whenever you had enough for the particular special you're executing. This felt good because it would force players to use normals more effectively and not just spam fireball specials.
For this game's mechanic, you can do specials meter-free, but for supers you have to fill the meter to specific "notch" before you're able to execute a super. It's kinda pointless if you're just able to spam special attacks and not trying to manage a meter during the match. There isn't much need to play defensively, and the gain of meter when charging seems so long that there isn't a lot of opportunity to get enough for a Super. The whole feature feels half-assed and tacked on.