Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Well, it looks pretty awesome and will buy this so very hard if it will be made available to the general public in February. How cool is that that we can buy a new fighting game on a friggin' SNES cart?!? Very cool for sure.

And if I may dream a little: Imagine those folks, indeed ex-SNK by the sound of it, would have had not only fun making this game but even were to experience some financial success with it, within a reasonable margin. Maybe they'd do a Neo Geo project next! :)

But I'll very, very gladly take what I can get for now.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Man the game looks wicked.

Cool pics

Where can we pre-order?
I want one

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
The more I see, the more I'm loving the game pics... Just wow
What a nice looking game art
If this guys are not formerly SNK employees , they surely have the know -how on this field

Art is really great

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
In the video I saw it looked painfully slow, though hopefully that can be rectified.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Found about this a few hours ago and I'm pleased. I saw someone knock it for being on SNES saying it was a bad idea due to the small market. The thing is, it could end up just being a passion project or better yet a ground floor entrance. Piko of Piko Interactive had started out the same way just releasing games on the original format (usually NES and Genesis) but then started using a coder to bring the stuff over to Android. If this is SNK coders, talent they'd have in spades and I see no reason why something like that could not happen. I admit if they are, it's a bummer it's not on the Neo Geo format, but given what after market parts to make one of those costs SNES is more logical based on price. Not just price, but hardware too because it has a full clean color palette and strong audio system, while say the Genesis was fairly limited and its audio output usually was a bit tinny, scratchy, and muffled too. The clearer setup leaves more choice to use existing assets without remaking them again.

Slithis

n00b
Definitely looks better in the screenshots than it does in the video. Looking at the art style though makes me wish someone would release Gunvolt on the Super Nintendo, I would pay for that.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Im looking forward to it hope it gets some sort of release I can purchase.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I'll wait for the 'Turbo edition. Current game-play looks slow and a bit choppy. Wonder what the Meg count is on this game. Can't be too high, as there are not that many characters, and frames of animation.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
This game looks very polished and professional.. Easily one of the best looking titles on the SFC. I wonder if being ex-SNK staffers they opted not to make it an NG title out of fear of retaliation from SNK? It would be cool if they partnered with NG Dev. to bring out good fighting games on the NG again.. Shit, would it not be awesome for SNK license an IP to them to put out on the NG?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
I think is more about community really.
SNES community is huge, compared to the neo .

Also, developing neo stuff is way more expensive then a SNES cart .

The video really seems a slow motion, I hope this is just a early build

But really liked the sprites, the chars and backgrounds .
Really nice

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
the looks are alright, but the speed/animations are lacking. I'm not sure it can be improved much on the SNES. That aspect has some throwback charme (to inferior ports bitd) though.
Well worth keeping an eye on this imho.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Coolest thing about this game is it on snes hardware, but its also limited by that too. Id be happier with this being released for android or something. I dont even play android games anyway. Game looks slow and i didnt see much combo wise on the random vids i saw. Just another one to put in some ppls collections i guess.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
here's a vid of it for refference

I am very glad this kind of thing comes about - especially having japanese development. 2d hand drawn sprites. it's a world apart.
these are cartoons that you control, bottom line.
and yet putting aside the fact that it moves slowly (I'm confident this can be fixed), it's all a bit generic. one part Darkstalkers, one part Guilty Gear (I'm talking character design).
The backrounds are great.

I hope very much this is just the beginning of something in the east - for whatever older system. a step above homebrew.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Let's see if this ever gets released. Looks promising though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Something for the ole SD2SNES heh. Looks kinda slow though...

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It might be worth giving them some time to polish it up, I guess it will never be up to the gold standard set by neo geo fighting games but there are some fun ones on the SNES, nothing too technical but MK2, Street Fighter 2, Killer Instinct and Turtles Tournament fighters are all really solid fun games especially two player. I guess its best not to take them too seriously compared to proper arcade games with their many frames of animation and deep game play mechanics. The biggest shame about the snes is the controller for 6 button fighting games, did the devs on this say if it was going to be 4-button or 6?

Either way it one of the more promising SNES originals to crop up for a while but it must be said if only it was being created on the Neo....

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Looks nice, if not floaty and unrefined.

Perplexing choice to develop it for the SNES instead of the Neo, especially since they would presumably know the Neo inside and out being former SNK devs (unless they're post-Neo employees).

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
It would be cool if they partnered with NG Dev. to bring out good fighting games on the NG again.. Shit, would it not be awesome for SNK license an IP to them to put out on the NG?

It is almost impossible that a thing like that happens. I think currently for SNK, NEO-GEO is only a piece of the past. They have more rapid ways of obtaining benefits at present.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Well looks fun, slow, but that may not be bad. A Neo release would have made more sense for this type of game, but the SNES market may be there. Maybe.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Slow isn't a bad thing, hell it seems mostly confined to that special attack being pulled off so maybe it could even be an artistic choice too. Even if it isn't, this is not out for a few months to upwards of a year as they just said Winter 2017 and that is nearly now or a year off. I've seen beta work on the SNES and it may just not be optimized as it's better to get things right before getting things up to speed, and if you can't get it as up to speed as you like then you start slowly subtracting something to up the limits.

mhell06

n00b
Just read about it on retrogamer.net. "Foxbat Co Ltd., is a team of former SNK developers with credits on some of the company’s many famous fighting games including Art Of Fighting, Samurai Shodown, The Last Blade, Kizuna Encounter and iterations of the King Of Fighters series including 98, 2001 and 2002."

Will apperently be released in 2017 and the meg count is an impressive (for SNES) 32 megabit.

Would be all over this if I was a SNES collector. Also just purchased Vampire Savior for Saturn and this seems a bit too similar to me...