Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Ok, so I just ran through the story mode. I see that a youtube review is already posted above, so I'll keep it short. The game does indeed feel a bit choppy. However, I still found myself enjoying the game in the same way I used to love the old Takara GB/Nettou fighting games like Beast Wars, KOF95, KOF96, and Real Bout Special. There's a doujin charm to Unholy Night that at times felt like a scaled back version of Melty Blood on the PC (which I think is ok for this kind of release).

I wasn't really expecting too much from the game due to iffy impressions, but by the time I defeated Katatonia (boss) I could definitely say I had a good time playing. I'll definitely be spending more time with it to properly learn more about the games combos and enjoy more of the characters stories.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Would you say if someone went to the US Amazon link I put a few posts back preordered it with Prime to get that 20% off ($40shipped) it would be worth that much in quality? Or would it be worth $50 if you didn't have that? I saw the clip too, felt really like some of the SNES SNK(Takara) fighters anyway as they weren't exactly the smoothest compared to SF2 or even the MK games for whatever reason. I use to have SS1 and access to AOF on SNES back in the day.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Would you say if someone went to the US Amazon link I put a few posts back preordered it with Prime to get that 20% off ($40shipped) it would be worth that much in quality? Or would it be worth $50 if you didn't have that? I saw the clip too, felt really like some of the SNES SNK(Takara) fighters anyway as they weren't exactly the smoothest compared to SF2 or even the MK games for whatever reason. I use to have SS1 and access to AOF on SNES back in the day.

Sup Tanooki. Since the link you posted appears to be for a usa version rather than the original japanese release, I'd say it'd be worth it due to the fact that there might be some improvements made between the two releases.

Comparing Unholy Night to early snes fighters is about right; but I'm not sure how others feel about that era of fighting games. Even though games like Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, TMNT: Tournament Fighters, and Street Fighter 2 ports are considered to be tops on the snes, I still also go back and play sfc fighters like Hokuto no Ken 7, Natsuki Crisis, and YuuYuu Hakusho Final just as often.

If anyone is curious about the game, I'd say it's worth checking out for $40 shipped. The game is a doujin fighter and doesn't stack up to the AAA snes fighting games of yester-year, but it is still enjoyable imho.

Yeeeah, I wouldn't say this game is tournament material :keke: It is still fun though in an Angel Eyes/Aska 120% kinda way though.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Sounds pretty fair, and I don't mind the SNK-grish, they've been doing it for decades so it was a laughable read watching that video with the english dialog I saw. Years ago I had a SFC collection of a couple dozen games, in that I had many fighters like DBZ Super Butoden2, Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon S fighter which was a little stiff but closer to SF2, but older yet I had Hokuto no Ken 6 which was a local pick up back then. It's very stiff if you are used to SF2 or later, but as it was, played as designed it was a competent and fun game, not easy in the least bit either. If this game fell between either of those SFC titles or HNK6 and SF2 I'd have no problems.

I had another with all women in it, had a V in the title, wish I could remember the name as it was pretty solid too.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sup Tanooki. Since the link you posted appears to be for a usa version rather than the original japanese release, I'd say it'd be worth it due to the fact that there might be some improvements made between the two releases.

Comparing Unholy Night to early snes fighters is about right; but I'm not sure how others feel about that era of fighting games. Even though games like Gundam Wing: Endless Duel, TMNT: Tournament Fighters, and Street Fighter 2 ports are considered to be tops on the snes, I still also go back and play sfc fighters like Hokuto no Ken 7, Natsuki Crisis, and YuuYuu Hakusho Final just as often.

If anyone is curious about the game, I'd say it's worth checking out for $40 shipped. The game is a doujin fighter and doesn't stack up to the AAA snes fighting games of yester-year, but it is still enjoyable imho.

Yeeeah, I wouldn't say this game is tournament material :keke: It is still fun though in an Angel Eyes/Aska 120% kinda way though.

BN what's up? Thanks for the feedback on Unholy Night. In the early 90's the Takara ports for the SNES were my home access to Neo-Geo games. Specifically, FF2 & AOF.. Which sans the PC Engine versions still are impressive even today. They weren't quite SFII polished but still great fun. But, the sound on the SNES ports was the herp on the lip of the beauty queen so to speak.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
BN what's up? Thanks for the feedback on Unholy Night. In the early 90's the Takara ports for the SNES were my home access to Neo-Geo games. Specifically, FF2 & AOF.. Which sans the PC Engine versions still are impressive even today. They weren't quite SFII polished but still great fun. But, the sound on the SNES ports was the herp on the lip of the beauty queen so to speak.

Any time Kronos! I sided with the genesis neo geo ports (except world heroes) in those days, but the snes takara ports definitely bring back good memories too.

Asuka120% would spank the shit out of this homebrew release, hell even Angel Eyes would.

Well there's always the ps1 port of gowcaizer... :keke:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Super V.G.? Firmly kusoge, but I still had a lot of fun with it

That's the one, and as you said, considered kusoge by some, but I had fun with it. 20 years ago there was a local shop I'd buy games from and being SoCal had quite a few Japanese things for SFC and TG16 too so I'd scoop up stuff. I looked it up, better than I remember and didn't realize it hit PS as well. Super Variable Geo (Super VG) a game with 8 girl fighters and a boss to it, similarly sized up, similar control from appearance, and minimalist background artwork too.

I hate to admit it but each time I flash back to some Super Famicom stuff like this I question my unwillingness to get back into it again. Yes I know they cost a good bit more than 1999-2005 era when I was at it, but I could deal with not having a box or a manual I can kind of muddle through at best.

By the way on PC there was a decade ago something of a fighter called MELTY BLOOD. I've seen this thrown around twice so far in discussions about this game. Any idea why or just some level of similar quality to it?

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Any time Kronos! I sided with the genesis neo geo ports (except world heroes) in those days, but the snes takara ports definitely bring back good memories..

It seems most people dig the MD ports Takara did of Neo games over the SNES versions. I definitely liked Samurai Shodown and King of the Monsters better on the MD. I was always a Sega fanboy before getting into the Neo; the Master System was my first game console in '86. Lastly, I think we can all agree Sengoku on the SNES is a steaming kusoge. Did Data East have their janitor program it?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
It seems most people dig the MD ports Takara did of Neo games over the SNES versions. I definitely liked Samurai Shodown and King of the Monsters better on the MD. I was always a Sega fanboy before getting into the Neo; the Master System was my first game console in '86. Lastly, I think we can all agree Sengoku on the SNES is a steaming kusoge. Did Data East have their janitor program it?

King of the monsters is still one of my favorites to this day. KotM 2 especially. That and Mortal Kombat consumed my early teens.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Does anyone know the compatibility of Darkness Hunter with emu consoles such as the Retron 5, etc.?

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I made a video about it a couple days ago about Unholy Night and put it on YouTube if anybody here wants to check it out. The choppiness is all there and I really had a hard time finding good things to say about this game....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYq_YCj9nY&t=191s

I watched it. Good job. Funny & informative. Can't believe Foxbat or whoever slightly botched the cart form factor so it's​ hard to pull it out. If u find out about the compatibility with the Retron 5 please let us know. Thanks!

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it with Retron5 as it appears that I fried it by connecting the wrong PSU when I went to try it. I connected a 12v AC that looked identical to the 5v AC that came with it (cheap Chinese PSU that looks like a million other PSUs) and the systems are not marked anywhere as to what it's power requirements are. :/

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I made a video about it a couple days ago about Unholy Night and put it on YouTube if anybody here wants to check it out. The choppiness is all there and I really had a hard time finding good things to say about this game....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjYq_YCj9nY&t=191s

I'd rather play those ranma fighting games than this.
Why are you using the lügenlord song btw? :keke:

Last edited:

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple
this looks and sounds like an overhyped shit game.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I honestly really like the look of the stages, the character design and the music. It makes me wish they'd of just actually made a Neo-geo game so there could be much better animations and a higher level of detail to this game. I really need a larger selection of music though. Think it has just 2 battle songs but they both kick ass.

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
I watched it. Good job. Funny & informative. Can't believe Foxbat or whoever slightly botched the cart form factor so it's​ hard to pull it out. If u find out about the compatibility with the Retron 5 please let us know. Thanks!

So I got to go to Retro City Games, a local shop that let me test it on their Retron 5 and it does not appear to work. It will dump the game, load it as UNKNOWN CARTRIDGE, then ask if you want to play it anyway. Pressing OK yields a black screen and nothing else. Not surprising, many repros don't work of the retron 5 and this game is made like any other cheap repro, sadly. :\

Thanks for watching my video BTW :)

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
So I got to go to Retro City Games, a local shop that let me test it on their Retron 5 and it does not appear to work. It will dump the game, load it as UNKNOWN CARTRIDGE, then ask if you want to play it anyway. Pressing OK yields a black screen and nothing else. Not surprising, many repros don't work of the retron 5 and this game is made like any other cheap repro, sadly. :\

Thanks for watching my video BTW :)

Hmm interesting. I wonder why it doesn't work? Thank you so much for looking into this. I'm sure this info will be helpful to others in whether or not to buy this game.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It has, I'm not buying it. :) I put my SNES up a couple years back when I ended up with an R5. I don't have the room or the way to jack in that many old systems so it's back in its DK box kept in a like new type shape where it shall remain for now. I wonder if the RetroFreak which is less annoying about loading games will handle it.

The asinine failure of the R5 is that it has a catalog of preprogrammed in CRC checks, if a game isn't on the table, it won't work.