Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SFC is a little underpowered to be releasing even retro games on at this point. Maybe for an RPG. They should have chosen something that gives them a little more range.

Totally agree, which is why the attempt reminds me so much of Guilty Gear Advance on the gba. Had the effort been done on a more capable piece of hardware, there would be no need to make so many concessions (assuming their vision was much broader in scope than what we are seeing). I'm still willing to give the game a good try though. It's nice to see a retro-themed project team not ask for thousands of dollars via kickstarter before getting started for once.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Wish they had worked on the Neo Geo instead, but this looks interesting anyway. A bit slow though.

A new Neo game would have definately peaked everyone's attention. They most likely would of gotten lots of free publicity from the online videogame websites if that was the case.

Which system is easier to program on?

Last edited:

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Maybe Dreamcast release?

Although underpowered, if the programming is legit, you can have a great fighter on the SFC.
We'll have to wait and see if they can make it a worthwhile purchase.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
You can make a worthwhile fighter for it but I think it has to be a little more bare than that, which isn't what they want because they want it to sell. So I'm not going to be surprised if they release that choppy piece of shit and rely on the fact that it looks like a cool 90s fighting game for people to eat up in their sentimentality. Its a slippery slope, time travel....

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
also i find the "Korean Bootleg of Vampire Savior" theme to be offensive and shitty. I'm going to do a picture of Morrigan sexually brutalizing this Nightmare imposter.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
An Asura Blade/Buster double pack for psn & xbla would scratch the itch, that this game just can't quite reach.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
After watching the video, this game reminds me of Eternal Champions on the Genesis...

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
My understanding (according to the guy who is doing the packaging design I believe?) the December videos were at 80% completion and only 14 fps, which has now been upped to 24 fps. They are working to make it smoother but have to sacrifice other things. I too wish they would do a Neo version but great to see this regardless. Also, it seems like there will be a SNES version as well.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
For less than the price of crappy dinner for four, at a shit show restaurant like Chile's, I can take a gamble on a product produced by former SNK developers that have produced killer stuff in the past.

I'm in, bitches. :buttrock:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
For less than the price of crappy dinner for four, at a shit show restaurant like Chile's, I can take a gamble on a product produced by former SNK developers that have produced killer stuff in the past.

I'm in, bitches. :buttrock:

This. Same.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Are they limiting the numbers on it or making enough for it not to become flippers paradise?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh don't worry, flipping will ensue, there's no shortage of people willing to part with their money, all they need is an excuse.

The game looks meh.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
See, I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt they'll pull it back to a decent frame rate. Maybe read a review then decide. We all know though, by that point there will be no copies left and it'll be selling for 4x more on eBay. Joy.

amplibax

n00b
That's a shame it looks so slow and clunky. I like the art style.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Even if it is a bit on the slow side, it's a new SNES game, and one by old SNK hands too. I wish them the best they can scrape that together. $52500 and to cover 1500 carts ($35 a piece.) Pretty reasonable all things considered.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
The only game I ever backed was Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero & that turned out great. I feel like this is going to bite me in the ass if I don't jump on it. This sort of thing should be encouraged, even if it's only a side project. Would love to see them do more of the same on other systems.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
It's a better deal than some of the Japanese pre-order prices I've seen around the web.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
whish there was an option to support this for the (sd2snes compatible) rom... I don't need a cart.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
I take it they're only using the kickstarter for a US style print, and that the Japanese version goes ahead regardless though? Still to see any indication of the JP packaging anywhere.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Give it to charity then and remain a happy supporter.
no free stuff for you!

1uFVGFN.jpg