Unholy Night: Darkness Hunter - new SFC fighter by ex-SNK devs?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Well I finally got my copy from Play Asia, it takes ages to get stuff to the UK from them. My cart doesn't even work dead on arrival, I opened the extremely cheap and nasty shell and noticed that two pins on the PCB seem damaged, it appears some sort of impact damaged the copper coating. To top it all off the box even had damage to one side....Guess I will insist on a refund and will have to ship it back to H.K :( After reading all of the reviews and considering how awful the quality of the physical release is it might be for the best.

Not happy......

I'll cost you an arm and a leg to ship item back to HK....................
Will PA cover the return shipping or what?

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yeah thats what I'm worried about but I will see how much it is for shipping back there, I'd rather get some money back rather than keep a broken game. First it was a slightly creased box which annoyed me but I thought never mind as long as the game works I can live with it. Then the cart didn't even load on my SNES Mini. Play Asia are hit and miss customer service wise sometimes but I have messaged the publisher on FaceBook to see i they have spare PCBs/carts.

Update: I have been in touch with the publisher BlazePro via Facebook and they have offered to post out a replacement cart to me which is great news, I just hope it actually turns up.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I was extremely open/optimistic about this game. But yeah, it's a turd. I couldn't even finish the sigle player story playthrough.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Oh well, seems like I dodged a bullet when the KS failed. Maybe their next effort, if they have one, will be better. I don't hold out much hope.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
My brother is in Japan and he came across this at a store (in Akihabara i believe) and messaged me to see if i Wanted it. Said "hell no" right away. Its a cool idea, but the execution is poor

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm usually one for new games on old consoles. This, however, looked pretty "meh" to me. The slow, repetitive gameplay videos looked boring, and the late 90s MIDI synth music was another turnoff.

I was thinking about pre-ordering this one, and then I happened to stumble upon an article about Paprium. Yeah...

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Well I must say I am super impressed with the publisher Blaze Pro, as mentioned the copy I got a while back was dead on arrival, and the box was even creased. Play Asia were unable to replace it due to no stock being available. Blaze Pro sent me a brand new working copy complete with the box and manual and in perfect condition. I appreciate it isn't SSF2 or near the best the SNES has to offer in terms of fighting games but I find it novel enough and am glad to have a working mint condition copy.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Anyone play the English release of this one? I got my copy I preordered from Amazon and finally gave it a go. The translation is right up there with the worst I have ever seen, on the bordering line between being so bad its hilarious and at other points complete nonsensical. The "storyline" in the manual is the same way.

The artwork on this one was great (the English box is WAY better than the Japanese one imo) but wow this one is just as bad, if not worse than how everyone made it out to be. Choppy would be an understatement. I love Super Nintendo and want to support new releases, but the next offering from this team needs to offer something different in a major way.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I keep wanting to pick it up, but I've never been a SNES fighter guy, it's rough. Fighters we're not meant for 16bit consoles imo.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
It's a shame the game turned out to be horrible. The basic gameplay is too terrible to be salvageable.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
so its a shitty hentai fighting game that came out over 20 years too late, without any actual hentai or reward for dealing with the subpar gameplay

c l a s s i c s n e v e r g o o u t o f s t y l e

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ha ha, I knew this was gonna be a POS. Just another bait trick for all the collectards.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm surprised with all the hate it is picking up from fighting fans that the ROM isn't all over every one of those popular websites already. Usually the best middle finger there is as complaining goes so far, but hurting the wallet is the money shot.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm surprised with all the hate it is picking up from fighting fans that the ROM isn't all over every one of those popular websites already. Usually the best middle finger there is as complaining goes so far, but hurting the wallet is the money shot.

Because it's that shitty. It's not even worth dumping. I'd rather play LOSJ.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That would make sense. Something so bad it needs to be buried that thieves or preservation types won't touch it. Perhaps that is the Legend of Success for Joe, not being the worst compared to Unholy Night.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I've seen so much disappointment all around on this. I guess I'm glad I didn't have any money to preorder it...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Anyone know which specific ex-SNK devs made this so I can direct my scorn appropriately?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Anyone know which specific ex-SNK devs made this so I can direct my scorn appropriately?

I can't find any info on the people who work at Foxbat Co. LTD. there are 21 employees there though.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
From the Kickstarter Campaign:
A2BsATl.png

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
From the Kickstarter Campaign:
A2BsATl.png

Nice find! Thanks for posting this here.

With BrezzaSoft being the intermediate haven for many SNK employees prior to SNK Playmore, the pedigree checks out. Can't fault the snes hardware for the fact that the game does not run smoothly though. Takara managed some great playability on even portable fighters like Beast Wars on the gameboy. If development was rushed, I'm not sure why they would've needed to get this game to market so quickly. It'd be a shame to see them give up after only one attempt.

Last edited:

Sarumaru

Kabuki Klasher
I was playing Battle Tycoon - Flash Hiders SFX the other day and was thinking to myself that how a company like Right Stuff, a developer not really known for fighting games, was able to make something far superior to something like Unholy Night which was created by employees that worked for a company that specialized in fighting games. Flash Hiders plays smoothly especially when compared to Unholy Night. Here's some sampled footage:

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I was playing Battle Tycoon - Flash Hiders SFX the other day and was thinking to myself that how a company like Right Stuff, a developer not really known for fighting games, was able to make something far superior to something like Unholy Night which was created by employees that worked for a company that specialized in fighting games. Flash Hiders plays smoothly especially when compared to Unholy Night. Here's some sampled footage:

excellent point - Flash Hiders isn't terrible either...it has it's own charm

Unholy Night is just unplayable