questions about SNK ports on Super Famicom.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't think the SNES games are all that bad, but my experience is mostly SS1, AoF, and KotM titles. But if you want some bizarro fun, I get mostly a kick out of the chibi anime pocket titles on the Gameboy/Super Gameboy. Samurai Shodown 1 and 3 are fantastic on there as were the KOF titles. I know there are a few others I missed, but Takara also did a solid with Battle Arena Toshinden and a Transformers Beastwars GBC game only in Japan.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sam Sho 1 is shit cuz of tiny sprites.

How about FFS? That was kind of a rare game for SNES. Never played it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno, but FF2 was pretty legit. Not arcade perfect, but I played the hell out of it.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective

I've played a bit of FFS on the SNES, and personally I hated it, but I hate pretty much every fighting game SNES port that wasn't SF2 so YMMV.

The sound is fucked to hell and back but that's to be expected, and obviously the graphics aren't as good but they're not terrible either for the SNES (lots of missing attack frames though). The biggest thing for me was that the gameplay felt slowed down, and faster gameplay is one of FFS' strong points IMO. Gameplay especially slows when transitioning from foreground to background, which really kills it for me because it makes those transitions way more reactable.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Truth is, if you really like a game, you'll play every port of it. I did play every Strider port, I could lay a controller on, and liked it... even though I shouldn't sometimes. Same with Another World and Daimakaimura. Reciprocal, if you don't like a game from the start, a port of it won't change your feelings.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

as i recall, the controls of fatal fury special for the snes was a step down from fatal fury 2 port of the game. the characters had a floaty feel to them when you jump, which made landing attacks from the air a lot harder than it should be. but over all, still playable.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
thing is, there's no reason to settle for these ports. they were ONLY made so that they could hold a candle to the popular full arcade versions at the time. its an imitation and you have more than enough resources to play the full game. that isn't to say I don't pick up a bad port of Doom every once in a while but meh...

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
thing is, there's no reason to settle for these ports. they were ONLY made so that they could hold a candle to the popular full arcade versions at the time. its an imitation and you have more than enough resources to play the full game. that isn't to say I don't pick up a bad port of Doom every once in a while but meh...

I have illustrated reasons to play these ports in previous posts.

Only a fool would believe these games are viable substitutes for arcade originals.

Obviously everyone has access to superior resources.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
that isn't to say I don't pick up a bad port of Doom every once in a while but meh...

I will HAPPILY play ANY port of Doom. I made sure to own it for every system I had.

The ONLY exception is that piece of shit port for the 3DO.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I will HAPPILY play ANY port of Doom. I made sure to own it for every system I had.

The ONLY exception is that piece of shit port for the 3DO.

The music on that version is great. Too bad the rest of the game is just godawful.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
2020 baseball is the only 16 bit port ive liked. Its pretty close to the arcade but the music is balls.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I have illustrated reasons to play these ports in previous posts.

Only a fool would believe these games are viable substitutes for arcade originals.

Obviously everyone has access to superior resources.

i don't live by your rules mmmmmmmmm but hey, Toshinden is all that matters for us

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member

It ain't that bad if you don't consider how bad the audio on that one is...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
i don't live by your rules mmmmmmmmm but hey, Toshinden is all that matters for us

There's no rule to live by. Today, the port context has changed.

You either find enjoyment in bastardized/inferior/bizarre incarnations of games you like, or you don't.

Toshinden rulz.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
2020 baseball is the only 16 bit port ive liked. Its pretty close to the arcade but the music is balls.
It ain't that bad if you don't consider how bad the audio on that one is...
In my experience the sound and music of pretty much every 16 bit port I've played is fucked to hell. Even when the graphics look pretty passable the sound is always fucked. Is there a reason arcade sound was so hard to replicate? Tons of Non-port SNES and genesis games have amazing soundtracks (SMRPG and the FF games spring to mind) but they always fuck the music and SFX when they do an arcade port.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
In my experience the sound and music of pretty much every 16 bit port I've played is fucked to hell. Even when the graphics look pretty passable the sound is always fucked. Is there a reason arcade sound was so hard to replicate? Tons of Non-port SNES and genesis games have amazing soundtracks (SMRPG and the FF games spring to mind) but they always fuck the music and SFX when they do an arcade port.

I prefer SNES Final Fight's music to arcade at least.

I honestly can't remember any music from Takara Neo-Geo games on the SNES, now I feel like checking them out.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I prefer SNES Final Fight's music to arcade at least.

I honestly can't remember any music from Takara Neo-Geo games on the SNES, now I feel like checking them out.

Tung Fue Rue's FFS SNES theme is way different than the original. Worth hearing.

Lousy instruments with a cooler composition IMO.

vs.

Last edited:

Boki

New Challenger
Truth is, if you really like a game, you'll play every port of it. I did play every Strider port, I could lay a controller on, and liked it... even though I shouldn't sometimes. Same with Another World and Daimakaimura. Reciprocal, if you don't like a game from the start, a port of it won't change your feelings.

yup, I just disagree with the fact, sometimes when you dislike the gameplay, you can like it more on other.

We are searching for games to play, so normally when we found a good game, we play. Normally we don't search for games to hate.