questions about SNK ports on Super Famicom.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Are they okay ? Which one should i get ? I'm asking this because I got my SFC ready to play, thanks.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
I'm like 60% sure this is a troll thread, but in case it's not: the only neo geo games I've played on the SFC were fatal fury special and samurai showdown, and they were both pretty bad ports. The SFC was just not powerful enough to run neo games with any sort of faithfulness, I'd stick to ps1/2 and Saturn ports if you're looking to play snk games on a home console.

3havoc

n00b
Most ports for 16 bit consoles are pretty crap with a couple of exceptions.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
2020 was actually more fun on the SNES but it's been a while since I last played it. Anyway, "playable" would be the appropriate description of those ports.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd prefer to play Saturn and PS2 ports with PS2 being the first choice there. The SFC ports are terrible. Though do try out SFA2 on SFC it's pretty cool.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The SNES could have had versions of these games that were faithful from a gameplay perspective, but SNK always licensed their games to shit companies that probably didn't even have access to the original source code, and so they don't even play the same.

There could have been SF2 SNES quality ports of Neo Geo games, but Takara sure as fuck wasn't capable of doing it. The real reason the 32-bit+ ports were better wasn't just because the machines had better hardware but also because SNK did them themselves.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
fatal fury 1 was good on the genesis/megadrive. fatal fury 2 had a good port on the genesis and snes. fatal fury special, art of fighting and samurai shodown on the snes was payable, but a far cry from the originals.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
They suck...

The few Saturn ports, yeah... Those are OK
The Saturn really kiks ass on 2D

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
fatal fury 1 was good on the genesis/megadrive. fatal fury 2 had a good port on the genesis and snes. fatal fury special, art of fighting and samurai shodown on the snes was payable, but a far cry from the originals.

As usual, Bogard is right on with this one. Although the snes versions of the games were playable enough, growing up I always felt that the genesis/mega drive ports of the snk/neo geo fighters just played better than the snes ports for some reason (except the terrible genesis World Heroes port). Even though the genesis ports usually lacked some features (no Billy in Fatal Fury 1, etc), the gameplay just tended to feel closer to the originals.

The old 16-bit/32-bit console ports are fun to go back to for nostalgic reasons, but are largely obsolete due to all the better ports/compilations available nowadays.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Art of fighting on snes/sfc is pretty good. Now it's not a perfect port by any means but it's good in its own way. Takara added supers for all the characters, and flushed out the ending.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I agree with BlackaneseNiNjA that the genesis ports were better and fun to play than the SNES ones but unfortunately I don't have a Genesis and I wanna stick to the SFC that was given to me.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The Genesis versions were probably better because the Genesis used the same CPU as the real Neo Geo so the original gameplay code could be largely reused.

The SNES versions were probably rebuilt from the ground up not using anything that resembled the original code.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I agree with BlackaneseNiNjA that the genesis ports were better and fun to play than the SNES ones but unfortunately I don't have a Genesis and I wanna stick to the SFC that was given to me.

i don't understand whats wrong with you

Dandan

n00b
I owned Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury on SNES and Megadrive.
All were shit ports, the megadrive actually looked almost like the neogeo but didn't play the same and the SNES had miniature sprites and played even worse.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
not totally retarded, he knows that my basement is a good place for him

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm like 60% sure this is a troll thread

Uhh, guess again.

The SNES/SFC ports with trying/playing IMO are..

World Heroes 1 - Looks and sounds great. It's fun to map the attacks to 4 separate buttons. Sunsoft did this one!
World Heores 2 - Doesn't look as good as the first 1. (Saurus did this one) However, the engine is a bit more...flexible than Neo WH2.
Art of Fighting 2 - It's almost like a regular fighting game, as opposed to a boss AI- exploitation simulator. You can also map attacks to separate buttons.

The old 16-bit/32-bit console ports are fun to go back to for nostalgic reasons, but are largely obsolete due to all the better ports/compilations available nowadays.

Of course. Not counting nostalgia, It really depends on how much of a kick you get out of a limited bizarro take on a game you likely have access to a superior form of. It's almost as if you have to really love a game to enjoy/endure the subtleties and nuances these ports have. It's all they're really good for.

Also, 32-bit ports although perhaps obsolete, are in a different league than the 16-bit ports IMO.

Also, I like Genesis/MD Fatal Fury 2 more than NEO FF2, largely do to the juggle codes.

Last edited:

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
The only system I've ever loved SNK games on outside of the NEO formats were the PC-Engine ACD games, but I think that was heavily influenced by the awe of what that little 8-bit wonder was managing to pull off.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
There could have been SF2 SNES quality ports of Neo Geo games, but Takara sure as fuck wasn't capable of doing it.

Takara was just a publisher. The 16-bit Neo ports were done by a variety of developers. Monolith, Saurus, Sunsoft, Galbrain. None of them were as good as Capcom, obviously.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'd avoid the SFC ports. There's much better alternatives out there.