Yakuza (Series)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Notably absent: Dead Souls. I'd think a remaster of it sold at a reasonable price point, say $20 or $30, might sell okay now since the series has gotten so much more traction in the west.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Notably absent: Dead Souls. I'd think a remaster of it sold at a reasonable price point, say $20 or $30, might sell okay now since the series has gotten so much more traction in the west.

I'd buy it. I enjoyed Dead Souls.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Every time I see that "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" badge at the upper right on the recent releases of this series, it makes me yearn for PC ports.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Every time I see that "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" badge at the upper right on the recent releases of this series, it makes me yearn for PC ports.

I'd love some PC ports, but I think Sony has a camel clutch on the franchise.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
If there was any reason to buy a PS4, Yakuza is probably the best reason.

While I enjoyed 6 I think I enjoyed 5 more.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'd love some PC ports, but I think Sony has a camel clutch on the franchise.
Sony is pretty good with that though. Street Fighter V is a good example. They co-funded development and still allowed a PC release.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The original HD remasters of Yakuza 1&2 (before the Kiwami remakes), which remained Japan-only, were released on Wii U in addition to PS3.

ChopstickSamurai

Yakuza Kiwami 2 is out today. I'm looking forward to solving more of Kiryu's problems by punching them in the face, and then hitting them over the head with a bicycle. Anyone else picking it up?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is out today. I'm looking forward to solving more of Kiryu's problems by punching them in the face, and then hitting them over the head with a bicycle. Anyone else picking it up?

I got it today. I plan on checking it out this weekend.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Haven't played Yakuza since part 1 but picked up 6 and loving it.

another n00b bump

I played 1 for the PS2 and got bored after a day or two and never cared for the series. Then genjiglove (that fucking bastard) recommended I give Yakuza 0 a try and I saw it for 20 bucks at Best Buy so I was like, fuck it.

Holy shit, it's come a long fucking way. Great game. Great atmosphere. I felt really immersed in this world. It's not without it's drawbacks. Way too much dialogue and breaks in between action, but there's enough going on to look past that. I spent days and days playing mini games and just dicking around town (literally dicking once I started those phone babe mini-missions). It feels like an interactive Asian soap opera … which is fine, but after this experience I can't see myself playing through the rest of the series. I just can't tolerate super long cinematics. I think I'm just old school.

Anyway I give this game a solid 5 out 7

edit: The wacky sidequests are some of the best highlights of the game

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Not sure if it's mentioned anywhere here, but just in case someone missed it, the studio is moving on to a new game called Judge Eyes.

Looked interesting until I saw the gameplay and the graphics & animations looked .... Underwhelming and too much more of the same, I guess? I even thought Yakuza 6 / Kiwami 2 had better graphics despite using the same engine. Will reserve judgement until the game gets released.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
After some thought, I'm sorta leaning to playing more games, but I don't care about continuity. So if you had to play Yakuza Kiwami 2 or Yakuza 6, which would you go with? Ignore my post above where I said I can't see myself playing this anymore. I sorta miss it now that I beat it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Haven't played either, but from what I understand:

Yakuza 6:
- New engine dedicated to newer consoles (feels new and fresh)
- Smaller maps and less content as a result

Kiwami 2:
- Still using the new engine, but with the assets and development knowledge readily available from making Yakuza 6
- Therefore feels more complete in terms of size and content

So Kiwami 2 has the best of the two worlds (Yakuza 6 graphics + scale of the previous games)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The combat in 6 seems a little tighter to me than the rest of the series, but 2 is the better game on all other fronts, and the difference in the fighting isn't huge, so I'd also say Kiwami 2.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
They are releasing these so quickly that I haven't kept up. I'll still probably buy it right away to support the cause though.

rvls

Crazed MVS Addict
Been playing the hell out of 6 after letting it sit on my shelf for a good 3 months. Just about done with it. After a little break I'll probably move on to 0, kiwami, or kiwami 2. I've only played 4 otherwise, and no longer have a ps3 so 5 is off the table for me.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Yakuza 3 on PS4 is available now

Y4 in October
Y5 in February 2020

They will include content that was cut from previously western releases, which I personally don't miss. Stuff like dating, mahjong, shogi ...etc

Physical collection of 3, 4 & 5 in February:

https://gematsu.com/2019/08/yakuza-...uza-4-and-5-to-follow-in-october-and-february

Yakuza-Collection_08-20-19_Box.jpg

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone else underwhelmed by Judgment? The fighting is still mostly fun, though not quite as good as the mainline entries, but the detective sequences are just deathly boring.

ChopstickSamurai

Anyone else underwhelmed by Judgment? The fighting is still mostly fun, though not quite as good as the mainline entries, but the detective sequences are just deathly boring.

I just finished Chapter 5. I’m enjoying it, but the pacing is way slower than the Yakuza games. It especially started really slow for me. The investigation sequences feel more like a visual novel, but the open world and combat are there.

So far the story has me hooked so I’ll stick with it. But these lawyers are not as interesting as the crazies from the Yakuza games.