Yakuza (Series)

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Good shit!

Yakuza is the only system-selling series for me. I'm bummed to hear Y6 kinda sucks but so did Y3, I imagine getting used to a new engine isn't something that happens overnight.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Anyone get Yakuza 0? I picked it over RE7 (same release day), despite being a Resident Evil fan since the original was released. Anyway, I'm probably about 6 or 7 hours in and I'm loving it. I haven't actually progressed very far because I am constantly being distracted by some activity or side quest.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, seems like the best one they have made in ages.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
i started playing yakuza 5 and thought the series seemed so interesting that before playing any further i would watch 1 through 4. i watched 1, it was good. ive tried to watch 2 like 6 times now and it is fucking boring as tits. i have watched about 2 hours past the point where he slams the mahjong players head on the table. its just boring.
i want to catch up on the story so i can enjoy 5, but at this point am wondering if i even have the time to do so. series seems to have a steep story curve unless someone can direct me to a quick way to understand what all is going on.

I'd like to do this as well. The problem, for me, on games like this is, I'm a completionist. I try to do everything.

All the Yakuza games have a secret boss named Jo Amon who only appears if you beat every sidequest in the game...and some are missable if you're not careful. Probably one of my favorite moments playing video games was doing that in the first Yakuza game and seeing Jo Amon waiting for me to fight him. I was like "Holy shit, there he is!!" Never forget that.

Sadly, nowadays I have to be in a certain mood to even play a game.

Jon

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Yakuza 0 has been an eye opening experience for me. Every time I think I've seen the full scope of what there is to do in the game, it shows me something new. That being said, I might take a short break from playing it to try out Nioh next week.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yakuza 0 has been an eye opening experience for me. Every time I think I've seen the full scope of what there is to do in the game, it shows me something new. That being said, I might take a short break from playing it to try out Nioh next week.

I've only just got to the second area/character. The first area had so many distractions that it took me around 10 hours to move on with the story.

Good news for Yakuza fans.

Videogamesplus.ca just restocked official NTSC versions of Yakuza 1-4 on their website and their ebay page, including the hard to find and as of a few days ago highly overpriced Yakuza 2.

Felt good picking up a sealed copy of Y2 for $50 shipped when it's been selling for $150 CIB this past year or so.

I don't know how they get away with reprinting PS2 games at this point in time but i'll take it anyway.

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I finished Zero this week, my very first Yakuza game.

I can't recommend this game highly enough, it is downright engrossing. Hell, Resident Evil 7 sat untouched since launch day thanks to Zero. It's hard to describe, but it's as if this game has the heart and soul of the best kinds of games we used to get around the PS2 era. Top notch characters & story, oozing charm, and side content that was shockingly compelling. My progress took the biggest dive the minute I could start managing the cabaret club. Completely took me by surprise.

The translation is worth highlighting too, it's pure quality and nails the tone so damn well.

Bring on Kiwami!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've always wanted to get into this series 'cause of Sega and the combat but I don't like GTA and side quests and mini games so I hesitate to look too much into it. There was a freebie, I think on PS3? I can't remember which one that is but it's free and I can check it out, solely curious about the combat.

Off topic. Another series I'd be interested in is Gundam Warriors? The one made by the folks that made Dinasty Warriors, after playing some of the Koei games like Bujingai and Tecmo fitting in so well, I wanna try more of that stuff. Recently I got Toukiden, looks like monster hunter but I preffer the combat a whole lot more. Lately I've been trying all kinds of stuff I've been ignoring for years.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've always wanted to get into this series 'cause of Sega and the combat but I don't like GTA and side quests and mini games so I hesitate to look too much into it.

There's probably no better time like now with Zero in its HD glory.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
There's probably no better time like now with Zero in its HD glory.

He's right. I was a bit mixed jumping in having missed the series for so long, but this is really a perfect starting point. Not only is it a prequel with a fairly clean slate, but the next one we're getting in NA this summer is a remake of 1.

FYI, this game is nothing like GTA. Nor do you need to get invested in mini games or side quests. For me, they turned out to be a pleasant surprise because I was expecting to hate them, too.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Tried it for a bit, it seems to suffer from the same shit that plagued the last few releases:

- Same city and places you went through in the last 4 games (make that 6 if Dead Souls and Y5 also take place in Kamurocho)
- Over-dramatized scenes
- Outdated animations that are due for an overhaul since Yakuza 3
- Emphases on some shitty J-pop culture themes that are increasingly shoved in with each release (Japanese idols dating sim and shit)

That's too bad because the series still holds some qualities in some areas, like certain elements of the writing / directing, and the gameplay would probably still be fun for newcomers, but after 100% completing the first 3 games, I got totally fed up with the issues I mentioned earlier and Y4 felt extremely stale to me.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Love Yakuza series.......
Those mini games are awesome......
waiting for Yakuza 6 from play-asia :)

Same here. Well, you probably got it by now, but mine is in the mail. I played through Kiwami a while back, and I loved the demo for 6. I played through two demos, in fact. The Kiwami one, and the publicly available "proper" demo. I know I can continue from the public demo save, but I'll start over just to start fresh. I've had the Japanese Zero for a while as well. Ironically, I got it before the western release got announced. I'm not in a hurry, though, since it's a prequel. I'll probably play it after I'm done with 6.

I was hoping for a third Kurohyō game on the Vita, but nope ... Vita dead, boiiii ....

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I finished Yakuza 0 earlier this week and about to get the platinum trophy. My thoughts on the game:

- Definitely the best entry game to the series if you haven't started it yet.

- The story is up there with the original Yakuza, which was my favourite before this game

- The issues I mentioned above still partially stand, but if you can overlook them, the story is worthwhile. Some parts have great directing too.

- Although it has no new locations, there is another map besides Kamurocho that appeared in a previous game

- Core gameplay is mostly the same

- TONS of side missions and activities. For completionists:
The good:
More variety
Watered down requirements for completion
No missables outside of easy story-related trophies
The bad:
The sheer amount of these activities alone is very taxing
Some activities are a chore more than fun (phone dating, learning Mahjong, ladies wrestling)
The ugly:
A few luck-based activities have ridicules requirements, especially the ladies wrestling betting trophy. It's agreed to be the worst trophy for the game

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I stopped playing 0 half way through due to getting busy at work, now I can't remember shit about where I left off

Finished 3/4/Dead Souls. All great games but 3 is still my favorite just due to the fact it was my first Yakuza game

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
one of the best parts about kiwami is the majima everywhere system
34993505714_838af2b39e.jpg

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
one of the best parts about kiwami is the majima everywhere system
34993505714_838af2b39e.jpg

I'm starting to find it annoying. I've already beat the dude's ass over 60 times. I'm hoping he goes away after I get the SSS rank.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'm digging Kiwami quite a bit, but so far I liked Zero better. We'll see after I'm done with it. I have neglected this series for far too long. Great stuff!