Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Not excited I can understand, hey don't be exicted, go play some RPGs or whatever, but coming here and bitching about the marvel series or how mvc2 or 3 or whatever didn't make you feel included as a gamer seems petty, retarded really. In cases like this I think these bitches are wrong, the fact is all this itching is unwarranted, all the marvel titles are solid, only a blind fuck would think otherwise.

Also the stupidness displayed towards the newer consoles is detrimental, you don't like the new gen? Fine, go fuck off ad pretend you can still play those old games you're holding unto.

I didn't want to say anything 'cause every time I call it like it is you got douchers getting butthurt over it but whatevs, take it or leave it.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Not excited I can understand, hey don't be exicted, go play some RPGs or whatever, but coming here and bitching about the marvel series or how mvc2 or 3 or whatever didn't make you feel included as a gamer seems petty, retarded really. In cases like this I think these bitches are wrong, the fact is all this itching is unwarranted, all the marvel titles are solid, only a blind fuck would think otherwise.

Also the stupidness displayed towards the newer consoles is detrimental, you don't like the new gen? Fine, go fuck off ad pretend you can still play those old games you're holding unto.

I didn't want to say anything 'cause every time I call it like it is you got douchers getting butthurt over it but whatevs, take it or leave it.

lol

I liked 2 a lot. 3? nah.

Marvel's gonna take out the X-Men and replace them with the fucking Inhumans and the awful "new" characters theyre shoving up everyones ass.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Count me in for Inhumans. The vol.1 MK run was insane, some of my fav comics come from that time and some of those characters as well. I've always been a Black Bolt and Black Panther guy, if they make it in the game I'd be running in circles like a chicken with the head cut off. As much as I love X-Men I think it's a good thing to give room for a lot of awesome characters.

Thor was awesome in MVC3, he was everything you wanted him to be as a character in a game like this and then they added a bit of a layer with the hammer clos combat which was pretty cool.

If you notice in MVC3 every normal is a mirror reflection of the counter sprite frame in the previous games, specially Iron-Man and Captain America. Game works awesome and I'll miss team X-Force in MVC4 or Infinite or whatves, I'm sure they're labeling it infinite due to the new marvel movie coming out, captain obvious here, lol.

Capcom hasn't le me down once with fighting games yet. Even the lower tier games are solid as hell, very enjoyable. I'm not a Capcom fanboy but I really like their timing, gravity and command/input. Lately not everygame comes out of the gate working great, at least I feel that SF4 and SF5 both came out and I wasn't blown away but I really liked both games. Arcade Edition is where SF4 really won me over. SF5 is still a great game, but I'm in the same boat with everyone where we would like to see a new pixel art SF. I don't need high res sprites. KOFXII size would do. To me those sprites are a step above 3rdS in terms of resolution, in other words higher pixel count, which is an advantage.

I know that video games have to stay up to par with the technology out there and sometimes even push it harder. I however also think that as the resolution capabilities increased at a fast pace, developers found themselves jumping through hoops instead or trying to evolve further with the results they were achieving at the tail end of the "2-D era". Pixel art is very appealing 'cause it takes simplicity to produce it and so it takes very consistent art to make it work or stand out when needed. Less room for style and details, but it forces you to add to the body language of the character and what have you, so you have to be creative in other ways.

I dunno, I'm just rambling now. I just hope the game is good. I enjoyed the latest 3D Capcom games, I was excited to see SF4 and MVC3, that step into 3D that didn't compromise in gameplay, to me SF4 was the game that made developers realize that the problem wasn't the 3D element, it was the gameplay. Ever since then I've seen a lot of releases with 2D graphics and intense 2D gameplay. I'm a huge fan of the old school, of course, we all are, or retro, or whatever the fuck people call it these days, my point is I'm a big fan of whatever plays well and looks good regardless the medium.

Someone mentioned TvC, game is so awesome, total freedom for endless bounds of cheese, I love it! MVC3 took a lot from there I feel, specially with the button layout.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Cool that it's coming to PC, I wish KOFXIV would hurry up that port already...

I like how it's going back to 2v2 though, for me that's the VS series.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Ha slow down EG, there's a snowballs chance in hell this game is as good as MvC 1 or 2....

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm pretty much the same opinion as EG. I play 2.5d, but never liked it as much as 2d. That being said all the titles past the SFIV era have been solid fighters. It really helps now that you can patch the game with minimal hassle.

MVC I is probably going to be another solid title that won't wow the old farts like us, but in all honesty it's not supposed to cater to us. It's supposed to cater to the new generation of fighting game fans that ask for this shit. Since I prefer the Marvel Series pre MVC2 I'm hoping this plays more like that.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I like MvC1 alot, 2 was pretty great, never really got into 3. I will def be giving this game a chance, it looks like it will be more fun to play casually than 3 did. Guess we will just have to wait.

edit- Read the article, im interested to see the wait time between character swaps during combos

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The difference between MKX and SFV was MKX had a good story. SFV was total bullshit. If you don't have a good story to tell, which SF never has, don't make a story mode about it. Arcade mode, which is still missing, would have been better. I don't have high hopes Capcom can produce a good story people would actually enjoy out of this game.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I actually think it looks pretty decent so far but that's just an intro, don't care about the story, just want a good game.

Edit: I see they got rid off that black "digital ink", never really cared for that effect, same for SF4. They should have used that tech differently, like a soft shadowing with a transparency, it would have worked great and dramatize the lighting even further.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Way too early to tell how this is going to turn out (people whining about DLC and special editions need to shut the fuck up... every game has DLC season passes at this point, MKX had 2, ArcSys nickel and dimes people with each incremental release and even Tekken 7 has DLC characters). If you don't like season passes, don't buy "AAA" video games in 2017. And seriously, who has ever given a fuck about special editions? Why would any non-waterhead pay $150 for any game just to get some plastic trinket inside? Let stupid people waste their money on that garbage if they want.

That said, the game is supposedly going to have a bunch of single player content day 1 (including arcade, story and missions) and they're using MS/Sony's built-in network infrastructure instead of their own (which likely means there won't be crossplay but I'm fine with that if there isn't constant network outages) so it seems like they're learning from some of their SF5 mistakes. Now they just need to not constantly delay/fuck up release schedules and be patient when releasing balance patches. Marvel games in particular need time to breathe while people figure out optimal strategies and how best to break/take advantage of game mechanics.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The whole point of "AAA" titles having DLC (besides making more money) is extending the revelancy of your product. Having day 1 DLC makes no sense in that reguard.

Is the cash grab par for the course? Yes, but look at the competitors. SNK waited 8 months before releasing more characters. Namco is waiting 5-6 months for their 1st guest character.

This doesn't mean you can't make money on other stuff. Skins or outfits have always been welcome no matter the timeframe. Capcom is just getting a bit greedy and considering the PR disaster that is SFV you would think they would tread a bit more carefully.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't mind DLC if it's for a game I actually enjoy. Sometimes I buy a game, beat it quick, don't feel to close to it and won't buy DLC. Like Shadow of Mordor, meh, it was fun but once done I haven't played it since. Now, Dark Souls, please give me moar!!!!!

Iam not a big fan of Tecmo's DOA5 shenanigans, so many god damn outfits, jesus! However is not like you have to buy them to enjoy the game to its fullest anyway.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dude fuckin' Sigma Ultron?! I'm getting hyped now.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
So I heard dragon punch is now :down: :down: P. That sounds horrible to me, I don't like that motion AT ALL.

100proof

10 Year Member
The whole point of "AAA" titles having DLC (besides making more money) is extending the revelancy of your product. Having day 1 DLC makes no sense in that reguard.

Some publishers use DLC to extend the lifespan of their game (CoD map packs, story DLC for games like Skyrim, etc.) but a lot don't. DLC is a way for AAA developers to assuage the ever increasing cost of development without actually increasing the retail price of games. Some do it with season passes (essentially increasing the cost of the "complete" game to $80-$90), others do it with day 1 DLC (guaranteeing more sales early on in the life cycle when the game costs more), some with random chance loot boxes, others with cosmetics (aka the Dead or Alive model). DLC's just another revenue stream. You just have to make peace with it.

Is the cash grab par for the course? Yes, but look at the competitors. SNK waited 8 months before releasing more characters. Namco is waiting 5-6 months for their 1st guest character.

Namco has a Day 1 DLC character for Tekken 7. Look up Eliza.

Aksys/Arcsys has had day 1 DLC characters for every Blazblue and Guilty Gear release in the last 5 years. And their shit's $8 per fucking character. Why I stopped buying their games until they were dirt cheap (got Revelator for $13 from Amazon).

I know people have a hard-on for Capcom right now because SF5's launch and subsequent content roll-out has been a neverending shitshow... people have every right to be pissed off. I just can't help but laugh at people getting butthurt about DLC characters like it isn't an industry standard.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
SFV haters also ignore the fact that you could get all Season 1 DLC characters for free if you bothered going through the different modes it has. But uh no, a home-exclusive fighting game doesn't have arcade mode. It's shit. They even added weekly challenges to earn you enough in-game money to get almost everything for free, aside from select costumes and one stage.

Last edited:

100proof

10 Year Member
There are plenty of legit reasons to hate SF5. It launched unfinished, the DLC rollout has been a travesty and a joke (and somehow continues to be after 15 months), they tried to sneak a fucking rootkit on to the PC version. I even get people who hate the game's current playstyle (very rushdown-oriented, it's tough to escape knockdown situations and there's generally too many safe block strings). I find myself losing to players I have no business losing to just because I guess wrong twice in a row on wakeup, get dizzied and GGPO. But that's on me for picking a character with shit wakeup options. Plus I need to accept that I can't execute at 40 the way I could at 20. :)

In some ways, the game reminds me of ST just because it's so unforgiving and has a high damage output.

Anyway, yeah. New Marvel. Here's to hoping it's good and not a complete shitshow.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Some publishers use DLC to extend the lifespan of their game (CoD map packs, story DLC for games like Skyrim, etc.) but a lot don't. DLC is a way for AAA developers to assuage the ever increasing cost of development without actually increasing the retail price of games. Some do it with season passes (essentially increasing the cost of the "complete" game to $80-$90), others do it with day 1 DLC (guaranteeing more sales early on in the life cycle when the game costs more), some with random chance loot boxes, others with cosmetics (aka the Dead or Alive model). DLC's just another revenue stream. You just have to make peace with it.

Make peace? SFV has over 75% of it's content locked behind a paywall.

The original game is 16 characters and 10 stages. As of right now the DLC contest is 12 characters and 10 stages (so far this 2nd season plus stages released as of today). The game is supposed to go another 3 seasons. That's 30 characters and just saying the rest of the stages will be character stages (being conservative since there probably will be more), and going by the model in season 1 where 3 character stages were released that season that's up to 20 stages. So almost double more characters and double more stages locked behind a paywall. On top of this the Capcom money comes out slower then most mobile games that relies on DLC to survive. Just adding up the character DLC for the 5 seasons the game cost the day one players at least $210 ($60 original game + $30 season passes x 5). Again not counting anything else like stages, outfit colors, etc.

DOA never had more DLC characters then original content, stages have always been free and nobody cares if you have 10 million skins. KOF if the rumors are true will be 2 more character packs $18 a piece meaning the total game (plus stages, and all outfit colors) is $114. Injustice Ultimate edition is $99. Tekken 7 with all DLC ($25) is $85. there's a difference between supplementing added costs and fleecing your fanbase. Speaking of Tekken 7.

Namco has a Day 1 DLC character for Tekken 7. Look up Eliza.

Eliza is not a DLC. She's a preorder bonus. Meaning you buy the game now the character is yours. No extra charge. Now TTT2 did the same thing and I was lazy on preordering it. The preorder characters were released for free months later. Harada said no mainline characters will be DLC. Can he make Eliza DLC down the road? Yes, but right now she isn't nor will she probably be available to non preorder players right away.

Aksys/Arcsys has had day 1 DLC characters for every Blazblue and Guilty Gear release in the last 5 years. And their shit's $8 per fucking character. Why I stopped buying their games until they were dirt cheap (got Revelator for $13 from Amazon).

I agree and the business practices of Arc System works aren't my favorite, however the DLC characters are a small amount and that's it. They're practice of releasing a whole new game months later with minimal updates IMO is B.S. and one reason why I bought Sign on amazon day one, but waited for Revelator until it was half price simply to play a friend who was bugging me to play.

I know people have a hard-on for Capcom right now because SF5's launch and subsequent content roll-out has been a neverending shitshow... people have every right to be pissed off. I just can't help but laugh at people getting butthurt about DLC characters like it isn't an industry standard.

Answered mostly above, but to add to it why is it okay to screw over your fans like this and nothing is being done to stop it? Only a weak apology and continuation of the screwing. That's why people are salty. Capcom keeps pissing people off then expects the fanbase to support them. When is enough enough?

100proof

10 Year Member
The original game is 16 characters and 10 stages. As of right now the DLC contest is 12 characters and 10 stages (so far this 2nd season plus stages released as of today). The game is supposed to go another 3 seasons. That's 30 characters and just saying the rest of the stages will be character stages (being conservative since there probably will be more), and going by the model in season 1 where 3 character stages were released that season that's up to 20 stages. So almost double more characters and double more stages locked behind a paywall. On top of this the Capcom money comes out slower then most mobile games that relies on DLC to survive. Just adding up the character DLC for the 5 seasons the game cost the day one players at least $210 ($60 original game + $30 season passes x 5). Again not counting anything else like stages, outfit colors, etc.

All of which you can easily get for free for just playing the game semi-regularly (except for one stage and the costumes but I don't give a fuck about costumes). If you were required to pay $30 a year for that shit, I'd be with you homie and I would've quit playing the game ages ago. Just another nail in SF5's coffin. However, I haven't paid a dime for anything beyond the base game and have all 8 characters and all of the stages released so far and enough for the next two characters stocked up. Whenever a new character is released, I do their trials, their character story and survival on easy and medium which takes less than an hour and that earns you like 35,000 FM and you're already half way to unlocking a stage or well on your way to the next character. I actually gave up playing the game for like six months (for many of the same reasons everyone else complains) and I still have more than enough.

Like I said, I totally get why people are pissed off. The game is disappointing (by SF's standards) and the launch/content rollout has been a shitshow. But DLC is NOT the reason to be salty about SF5 (unless you REALLY like costumes, I guess, but if that's the case I couldn't imagine the aneurysm you'd have seeing DoA5 or ArcSys games). It's honestly the most consumer-friendly decision Capcom has made in years.

DOA never had more DLC characters then original content, stages have always been free and nobody cares if you have 10 million skins. KOF if the rumors are true will be 2 more character packs $18 a piece meaning the total game (plus stages, and all outfit colors) is $114. Injustice Ultimate edition is $99. Tekken 7 with all DLC ($25) is $85. there's a difference between supplementing added costs and fleecing your fanbase. Speaking of Tekken 7.

Not sure how any of this negates what I said. My point was that every major fighting game series (and most video games in general) use DLC in order to extract more than the base $60 from its fans. You then proceeded to list off KoF, Injustice and Tekken having DLC characters that will cost people more than the base $60. Marvel Infinite will be about the same as those games and SF5 costs you $30 a season (less than the annual Guilty Gear/Blazblue release) or nothing if you feel like playing the game (and honestly, if you don't want to play the game, why would you care about having to pay for content for a game you don't play?). What are we complaining about?

Eliza is not a DLC. She's a preorder bonus.

She's Day 1. She's downloadable content. This is how Namco hopes to get people to pay full price for their game. True she's not the same as a season pass kind of DLC but it serves the same purpose. Either I pay the big $48 up front for the privilege of using this character or, when I inevitably buy the game a year from now when it's $20, I'll have to shell out another $5-$8 if I want Eliza. Serves the same purpose as any other DLC character, extracting extra money out of customers.

I agree and the business practices of Arc System works aren't my favorite, however the DLC characters are a small amount and that's it. They're practice of releasing a whole new game months later with minimal updates IMO is B.S. and one reason why I bought Sign on amazon day one, but waited for Revelator until it was half price simply to play a friend who was bugging me to play.

If you buy Blazblue Central Fiction on console now, you have to pay $16 for Es and Mai. If you, for some weird reason, bought Revelator now, you're chunking out $8 for Raven and $8 for Kum. Hardly a small amount considering you can buy Revelator for less than that on Amazon and we're apparently complaining about $30 for 6 characters.

Answered mostly above, but to add to it why is it okay to screw over your fans like this and nothing is being done to stop it? Only a weak apology and continuation of the screwing. That's why people are salty. Capcom keeps pissing people off then expects the fanbase to support them. When is enough enough?

Capcom is a dumbass company. No argument there. It makes dumbass decision after dumbass decision. I still love their fighting games but have pretty much given up on buying just about anything else they make. But I ask again... why be butthurt about Capcom's DLC decisions when they're in line with (in the case of Marvel Infinite) or better than (in the case of SF5) every other publisher out there? Do you want them to release a complete game with no DLC as some kind of mea culpa for SF5 being a shitshow? Maybe in a perfect world but Capcom's a struggling company barely keeping its head above water thanks to all of the aforementioned dumbass decisions. They can't afford mea culpas.

The answer to "why is nothing being done to stop it?" is simple: the consumer's only vote is with their wallet. If people didn't want map packs, season passes and pre-order bonuses, they wouldn't buy them. But they do. In droves. Which brings me all the way back to my original point: the DLC ship has sailed. Make peace with it or don't buy AAA games anymore. Or be like me and just don't buy DLC. Any game that has a shitton of DLC, I wait until a Game of the Year/Complete Edition is released. It's the benefit of having a neverending backlog: there's no rush to ever buy games day one.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'll give you if you mess with Survival mode it's probably less of a bitch session. Personally I can only stand to really play a few characters in this game. The thought of playing survival (to which I hate in the first place since it does nothing to improve skill just find a spam attack) past easy mode with characters I hate is something I'm not capable of doing without pulling my hair out in frustration.

Paying the companies a little extra for a little extra content is not that big of a deal. If you like the game that much and want to support it then it's a great way to. If you don't then you shouldn't feel like you've barely touched the game because it's locked up in a paywall. Most games ask for $25 - $50 more after it's all done. I can live with that. When we're talking $150+? Now I'm feeling screwed over. Hence the rub. I understand your feeling that you played survival and kept up w/ missions to get the points, but a lot of casual fans will not and will walk away because of this. THAT'S the big problem. Can Capcom survive again when you are only left with the hardcore fans like the late 90's?

I love Capcom and the reason why I give a fuck so much is because I love them so much. I'm a dumbass that actually owns 3 copies of SFV (PC, PS4 Download, then got the premium edition with the Ryu statue as a present) I don't feel that bad about it because I was having fun on the beta playing people and money wise I could blow that on a night at Dave and Busters easily. I feel Arc System likes to dick over fans similarly with the countless releases, but personally only give a small fuck because I'm only a casual fan of Guilty Gear, and FOTNS (which will never be released in all it's shitty glory *sigh*). The saddest most pathetic part of this whole thing is I will probably buy MVCI not because I really want to play it, but because not buying it might make Capcom Japan decide to stop making fighting games all together. It's a battered wife syndrome.