HUNTIN'

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
venison isn't really sold in the US markets, but there are a few in rural hunter-friendly areas

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Im originally from southern california, now living in kentucky. Im not a hunter and dont care to, its just not something that interests me. Like others have already stated its awesome when my neighbor will bring over some venison but hunting just isnt my bag.

Local men out here cant deal with that answer, everyone out here is such an avid hunter and gun enthusiast. Its great to see the bewildered looks on the locals faces when I say I dont hunt or own a gun. They simply can not comprehend a man not being into those things.

Well, being from KY and living my whole life here in little old Owensboro, I understand what you are saying there. Also, I don't hunt. Not that I haven't just that I don't have any interest in it. I also don't fish anymore, and don't give a fuck about nascar, KY basketball, or football, and don't drink. It's pretty funny the looks I get about some of those things.

While I do one some firearms, they are all just stuff I like or stuff for sports shooting. I'm not huge into them, but it's fun to go out and shoot targets from time to time.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
hiking into the woods at sunrise is the best part

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Hunting sounds cool, until you realize you just drive somewhere, get out of the truck and shoot a <insert animal here>. Then you go finish it off, gut it, and haul it off for meat/trophy processing. I don't regret doing it but it's not for me. I can fish too, but would only use these skills again for survival purposes. With modern equipment, there is minimal challenge so it's pretty fucking pointless. Think of it as the easiest 20 minute shmup you can imagine, with hours of setup and cleanup.

Wut? That sounds like something a person that's never hunted would say, a lot of people go an entire season not bagging a single deer. It's certainly nothing like what you just described.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
yeah, thats not really how it works. and besides, the things described are just cynical paraphrasings of all the enjoyable parts of hunting and wilderness.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
it sounds like wyo goes huntin at a petting zoo

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The meat is mostly dreadful. There's a reason deer sausage is 80% pork.
I wouldn't want a venison burger without filler. It is still meat, so it works in things like chili.

Backstrap is still damn tasty, and I don't know why. Maybe it has more fat content or it's less vascular? Never bothered to research it.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
no, i love deer jerky so much.

Elk is incredibly tasty though

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Wut? That sounds like something a person that's never hunted would say, a lot of people go an entire season not bagging a single deer. It's certainly nothing like what you just described.

I had an antelope tag in Wyoming. It was exactly as I described. I went along with an experienced hunter. Not saying all hunting is like that, but that was how it was for me. Maybe I could have made it more challenging by using a bow or Stallone's approach in First Blood.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Hunting defenseless animals for sport isn't really my thing. Now if you want to take down a dear or something with a buck knife, have at it.

Lol nice

My dad hunts, he actually got 3 deer last weekend. I personally have zero interest in hunting.... Im pretty sure he thinks Im a pussy for not.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
The meat is mostly dreadful. There's a reason deer sausage is 80% pork.
I wouldn't want a venison burger without filler. It is still meat, so it works in things like chili.

Backstrap is still damn tasty, and I don't know why. Maybe it has more fat content or it's less vascular? Never bothered to research it.
You have to undercook it. By like... A lot. Personally I prefer bison to venison for wild game. Bit more melty fat rendering in the meat to make it juicier

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Can you not just buy venison from the shop?

Around here the only place I've seen it so far in town would be the yearly state fair in august. Vendors from all over from the state come in with various wares including food. I'll buy it there if I see it, but I didn't see any this year, not sure I did last year either. But there are suppliers who will make jerky out of whatever moves on land in this state.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I knew someone who'd hunt squirrel.

I'd never eat squirrel.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Can you not just buy venison from the shop?

It's actually very uncommon. All meat has to go through USDA inspection, so local venison butchers cannot legally sell it.
Most venison in the US is actually imported from around the world. Silly right?

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I had an antelope tag in Wyoming. It was exactly as I described. I went along with an experienced hunter. Not saying all hunting is like that, but that was how it was for me. Maybe I could have made it more challenging by using a bow or Stallone's approach in First Blood.

Antelope literally outnumber humans in Wyoming. They walk down the streets in residential areas and won't move out of your way unless you get your vehicle two feet away from them. They're pretty easy to find and kill.

They also taste like sage brush to me. The steaks are nasty and are only really useful for jerky.

You have to undercook it. By like... A lot. Personally I prefer bison to venison for wild game. Bit more melty fat rendering in the meat to make it juicier

I prefer it, too. I had a bunch of buffalo burger a while back and had to mash in some cow burger so the patties wouldn't crumble apart because it was so lean.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Lol nice

My dad hunts, he actually got 3 deer last weekend. I personally have zero interest in hunting.... Im pretty sure he thinks Im a pussy for not.

I'm not some hipster vegetarian and I'm all for guns but hunting animals for sport just isn't my thing.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
What's the fun in hunting something defenseless?

For reals though I've always wanted to go hunting but have never gotten the chance. The only thing I have that might be legal to hunt with anyway is my 7.62 Saiga, even then I'd need to find 5 round mags for it. I wonder if it'd be legal to hunt with my Judge...

Also all of you ragging on how bad deer meat tastes have probably only ever had meat from a buck. I had some fresh liver from a doe that a buddy of mine shot and it was the best liver I have ever had in my life.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Also all of you ragging on how bad deer meat tastes have probably only ever had meat from a buck. I had some fresh liver from a doe that a buddy of mine shot and it was the best liver I have ever had in my life.

Animals stare into my soul.

I'll eat meat, but I don't need to see it get to my table.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Love to hunt. I bow hunt then rifle hunt. I get 5 weeks for each season. Then there is spring bear. Hunting is where its at. Everything about it is awesome.

It is the embodiment of what humans are. Destructive animals.

IMG_20161119_102544158~02.jpg

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Not a fan of killing for sport unless you're hunting a bear with just a knife, then it's real sport :lolz:

If you hunt and eat what you hunt that's cool but killing a bear/deer/whatever from a safe distance with a gun, I just don't get it. Not hating, but I find it absurd.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Not a fan of killing for sport unless you're hunting a bear with just a knife, then it's real sport :lolz:

If you hunt and eat what you hunt that's cool but killing a bear/deer/whatever from a safe distance with a gun, I just don't get it. Not hating, but I find it absurd.

I assure you, you will never get close enough to kill anything with a knife....