Silpheed - Lost Planet PS2

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
For the longest time I had read this game wasn't great, not worth the time, etc etc, so I never ended up adding it to my collection.

Last week saw a copy in the wild, complete, for $10....totally worth the ten dollars. Sure the weapon system isn't the greatest, but overall a fun shooter that is just challenging enough to have fun with.

If anyone was fence sitting like I was on this one...pick it up if its cheap. It's decently solid

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i bought this back in the day and really enjoyed it. it's true that the game got a lot of bad reviews, but i was never the one to listen to reviews. if a game looks good to me, then i'll give it a try.

i used to see silpheed in the bargain section for around £2-3. i see it's gone up in price.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd never seen a copy in the wild and just assumed, rather incorrectly, that like every other shmup it was going for the big dollar prices, so the reviews had me worried. But for a ten spot, definitely a solid game.

I still want to check the original out on the Sega CD

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Why is this game worth getting?

It being "solid" and "decently solid" has not sold me.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The main thing that annoys me in Lost Planet is getting stuck with a weapon until the next checkpoint. This game has lots of neat toys to play with, but many are very niche at what they are good at. If there was on-the-fly weapon swapping I'd be much happier with it.

Sega CD Silpheed is fun to watch but not so fun to play. There's some neat prerendered background FMVs but not much interesting happening in the playable game area. Between the two Lost Planet is a better game.

If you like this style of shooter with lots of cinematic stuff happening, also check out Philosoma on PS1.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I can respect Game Arts for trying something new for the genre - the radio chatter and trying to personalize the pilots in a shmup - but that aspect really doesn't work here. Always found it average, completely mundane. Cool that you dug it, tho.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I'll help you.

Did you like Silpheed on Sega CD?

If yes, then you'll like Silpheed PS2. I always found the Left/Right weapon system very strange, tho.

If you were "meh about it on SCD, then you'll be "meh" about it on PS2.

If you hated it on SCD, then you most likely will not like it on PS2.

The scoring system rewards memorization of enemies and how quickly you can take them down. The perspective is like Raystorm and RayCrisis where the farther "up" the screen you go, the further into the horizon your ship goes. It definately takes some getting used to, IMO.

I enjoyed the cinematic background stuff in the first game, like the giant ship blowing up and all the radio talk. There's some of that on the PS2 as well.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I enjoy the weapon system. I actually kind of like the fact you can screw yourself on a bad weapon selection at the beginning of the stage, or mid stage. It changes the difficulty in ways that are pretty unique to a shmup. I could see people hating this, but I really enjoyed the beginning of stage "Ill select this for the left hand side of the ship, and that for the right hand side", and realizing I've made the next stage much harder with my decisions.

I am also into the fact that there isn't a one hit = lose all your weapon powerups and end up wanting to reset the game factor involved. Sure it makes it "easier", but for some casual play time I am actually pretty into it