Need help sourcing a part for a Titan Cab

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I recently got a Sega Titan (the "trash can" cab that mainly held Die Hard Arcade), but I'm having a helluva time trying to fix an issue with the speakers/volume.

(I'm not that tech-saavy, so I'll explain this as best as I can. I've been googlin this problem since I got it a few weeks ago and I'm stumped.)

There is sound coming through both of the speakers, its just VERY low.

Looking at the potentiometer, as you can see it is very rusted.

IMG_20161127_204531643.jpg

IMG_20161127_203135933.jpg

I know, it's a mess in there. I'll clean it.

I'm looking around in thereand I notice that theres a red wire that's not soldered to anything.

Using my god-given powers of deduction, I put the wire to the middle terminal. The sound comes on, but its full-blast. I solder the wire to the terminal, but the knob doesn't control the volume. Actually, it keeps turning past 360 degrees.

I'm thinking I might need a new potentiometer. I traced all of the wires back to the harness and saw nothing loose, frayed, or otherwise damaged. The speakers seem alright - no cracks or hums, except for when the volume is full-blast. I remember taking a multimeter to them and they seemed within range.

I looked through the parts list of the cab's service manual and found that it's a 100 Ohm knob.

Questions:

-Can I buy any 100 Ohm knob and solder the wires to the terminals?

-I have not tried to re-solder the wires to the terminals. Could it be an issue with the material they used in the factory? Would it be wise to re-solder them?

-If I buy a new knob, install it, and that doesn't solve the problem, what would be my next step?

Thank you!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
You really should be able to buy any 100 ohm linear trim pot and hook it up.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
No problem. Also just FYI, testing pots is pretty easy, just put one probe in the middle and one on an outer leg, set your meter to ohms, and you should be able to watch the resistance measurement go up and down on your meter as you turn the pot.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Bought a $3.50 potentiometer. Sound works as it should now.

Street Fighter never sounds as sweet as it does coming loud through cabinet speakers.