Stupid is as Stupid does . . .

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My lazy ass finally got around to modeling a new figure after a several month hiatus: Stupid from the 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit? film.

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_rotation.gif

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid04.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid05.jpg

334791_29Nov16_s_hand.jpg

Partnered with the Wheezy (from the same film) figure I made last year:

334791_29Nov16_s_wheezy.jpg

And some work-in-progess shots:

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab01.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab02.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab03.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab05.jpg

Materials:
Newsprint (since the election is over, I recycled my copy of the League of Women Voters Voter Guide newspaper into a weasel, which, considering who won the presidency, is entirely appropriate in my opinion), tissue paper, a Tractor Supply Labor Day sales advertisement (I used this to decoupage the blue shirt and shoe stripes, because I really didn't want to go through the trouble of masking to paint those), white glue, acrylic paint, and wire twist ties (internal support for the thinnest projecting bits that are most likely to break, namely the beanie propeller, untied shoelaces, and nail in the baseball bat).

Dimensions:
4.2 cm (1.7") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") tall x 5.1 cm (2.0") deep.

Time:
Three days: November 25th, 27th, and 28th, 2016.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Really nice work. Out of curiosity, what made you want to do these characters?

@M

20 Year Member
Thanks! As to your question: I like the film, but the main reason I made the Roger Rabbit weasels is that they were for Disney-themed crafting activities at an online art community I belong to. Likewise, I just completed this life-sized replica of the fishbone quill pen, that Ariel used to sign her contract with Ursula in the 1989 The Little Mermaid animated movie, for the same reason, on Monday:

LM_fishbone_pen_zpsgb6efj7k.jpg

LM_fishbone_pen_signing_zpso4sjiczw.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
M you've got a good eye for stuff that gets overlooked. Keep up your passion and never let go.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Stupids laces are awesome, are they part of a statical calculation, supporting his upright posture? Also: It's exactly that posture that makes him feel alive. Making this huge pot belly balancing on one foot was an ingenious idea.

@M

20 Year Member
The shoelaces weren't necessary to keep Stupid standing, but they do help with the figure's stability. I can't take credit for the pose/design, a I based it entirely on this official Disney artwork of the character:

Stupid.jpg

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Man your figures are always a pleasure to behold. So much detail packed into such a small package. I still can't believe that these are paper mache though. Have you done much sculpting with modeling clay such as Sculpey? That's what I mostly use, never really tried my hand at paper mache, at least not since elementary school probably. Speaking of, I really like that you have progress pics too, really gives insight into your process. I would love to see a time lapse of one of your figures being created.

@M

20 Year Member
I've dabbled, but, no, I haven't done much sculpting with clay. I did recently purchase a multi-color Super Sculpey kit, but, other than opening up the box and inspecting the contents, I have yet to do anything with it (I have a bad habit of buying arts & crafts supplies/kits and then not utilizing them . . . I'm a senseless hoarder like that at times).

I don't have any equipment for capturing video, so, the only type of time-lapse thing I can do is with GIFs. Offhand, this 2014 animation is the only example of that I can remember doing. It depicts the process I used to make the mouth veneer for a Kuchisake Onna (literally "Slit-mouthed Woman", an infamous Japanese urban legend) custom figure for an art contest I participated in where you had to alter a thrift store purchase (for $20 or less) into something else.

kuchisake_onna_animate_zpsi48m57dz.gif

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The shoelaces weren't necessary to keep Stupid standing, but they do help with the figure's stability. I can't take credit for the pose/design, a I based it entirely on this official Disney artwork of the character:

View attachment 41153

Thanks for the info. BTW: yours looks better.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Your work is always awesome, I love it! I always loved those characters. So much in fact that I made some characters way back as a kid. IN the fever of TMNT and the clones I made Ninja Ferrets, they're pretty slick, I'll try to find some pics and show you, you'll get a laugh,

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Amazing detail and quality!!! I like the scene where they all smack their heads together, I lost it.

@M

20 Year Member
@ElectricGrave: There were shitloads of TMNT rip-offs/homages (Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc.), so, you weren't alone. If you do have some pics of your Ninja Ferrets creations, then, yes, please share them with the rest of us!

@SouthAmericaNeo: Once I hit puberty, I was, and still am, fixated on Jessica Rabbit, but, when I was a kid, the weasels were definitely my favorites!

PfLxmisb.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh I'm def obessesed withJessica Rabbit, I must have wore that vhs tape off rewinding trying to watch that part where she falls off the car, just looking for that muff...I'm still looking BTW.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
My lazy ass finally got around to modeling a new figure after a several month hiatus: Stupid from the 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit? film.

View attachment 40968

View attachment 40974View attachment 40975

View attachment 40967

Partnered with the Wheezy (from the same film) figure I made last year:

View attachment 40969

And some work-in-progess shots:

View attachment 40970View attachment 40971View attachment 40972View attachment 40973

Materials:
Newsprint (since the election is over, I recycled my copy of the League of Women Voters Voter Guide newspaper into a weasel, which, considering who won the presidency, is entirely appropriate in my opinion), tissue paper, a Tractor Supply Labor Day sales advertisement (I used this to decoupage the blue shirt and shoe stripes, because I really didn't want to go through the trouble of masking to paint those), white glue, acrylic paint, and wire twist ties (internal support for the thinnest projecting bits that are most likely to break, namely the beanie propeller, untied shoelaces, and nail in the baseball bat).

Dimensions:
4.2 cm (1.7") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") tall x 5.1 cm (2.0") deep.

Time:
Three days: November 25th, 27th, and 28th, 2016.

Are you going to make any other characters from that movie?

@M

20 Year Member
I might make the other three weasels someday, to complete the quintet. Jessica and/or Roger are potential contenders too. The goofy living bullets Eddie Valiant used in his cartoon gun later in the film are kind of neat/memorable as well.