Thread: Stupid is as Stupid does . . .

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

Stupid is as Stupid does . . .

My lazy ass finally got around to modeling a new figure after a several month hiatus: Stupid from the 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit? film.

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_rotation.gif

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid04.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid05.jpg

334791_29Nov16_s_hand.jpg

Partnered with the Wheezy (from the same film) figure I made last year:

334791_29Nov16_s_wheezy.jpg

And some work-in-progess shots:

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab01.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab02.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab03.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab05.jpg

Materials:
    Newsprint (since the election is over, I recycled my copy of the League of Women Voters Voter Guide newspaper into a weasel, which, considering who won the presidency, is entirely appropriate in my opinion), tissue paper, a Tractor Supply Labor Day sales advertisement (I used this to decoupage the blue shirt and shoe stripes, because I really didn't want to go through the trouble of masking to paint those), white glue, acrylic paint, and wire twist ties (internal support for the thinnest projecting bits that are most likely to break, namely the beanie propeller, untied shoelaces, and nail in the baseball bat).

Dimensions:
    4.2 cm (1.7") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") tall x 5.1 cm (2.0") deep.

Time:
    Three days: November 25th, 27th, and 28th, 2016.
    "I realized when I became a reformed alcoholic that, hey, I'm still the same asshole, I just have fewer dents in my car."
    - Robin Williams

NG.COM TEMPTRESS

Really nice work. Out of curiosity, what made you want to do these characters?

ま. . . . .60点てところかしらね
    Cocky Futanari Babes with Big Dicks Who Don't give a Fuck

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

Thanks! As to your question: I like the film, but the main reason I made the Roger Rabbit weasels is that they were for Disney-themed crafting activities at an online art community I belong to. Likewise, I just completed this life-sized replica of the fishbone quill pen, that Ariel used to sign her contract with Ursula in the 1989 The Little Mermaid animated movie, for the same reason, on Monday:

LM_fishbone_pen_zpsgb6efj7k.jpg

LM_fishbone_pen_signing_zpso4sjiczw.gif
    "I realized when I became a reformed alcoholic that, hey, I'm still the same asshole, I just have fewer dents in my car."
    - Robin Williams

M you've got a good eye for stuff that gets overlooked. Keep up your passion and never let go.

Chang's Grocer

Stupids laces are awesome, are they part of a statical calculation, supporting his upright posture? Also: It's exactly that posture that makes him feel alive. Making this huge pot belly balancing on one foot was an ingenious idea.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

The shoelaces weren't necessary to keep Stupid standing, but they do help with the figure's stability. I can't take credit for the pose/design, a I based it entirely on this official Disney artwork of the character:

Stupid.jpg
    - Robin Williams

Camel Slug

Man your figures are always a pleasure to behold. So much detail packed into such a small package. I still can't believe that these are paper mache though. Have you done much sculpting with modeling clay such as Sculpey? That's what I mostly use, never really tried my hand at paper mache, at least not since elementary school probably. Speaking of, I really like that you have progress pics too, really gives insight into your process. I would love to see a time lapse of one of your figures being created.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

I've dabbled, but, no, I haven't done much sculpting with clay. I did recently purchase a multi-color Super Sculpey kit, but, other than opening up the box and inspecting the contents, I have yet to do anything with it (I have a bad habit of buying arts & crafts supplies/kits and then not utilizing them . . . I'm a senseless hoarder like that at times).

I don't have any equipment for capturing video, so, the only type of time-lapse thing I can do is with GIFs. Offhand, this 2014 animation is the only example of that I can remember doing. It depicts the process I used to make the mouth veneer for a Kuchisake Onna (literally "Slit-mouthed Woman", an infamous Japanese urban legend) custom figure for an art contest I participated in where you had to alter a thrift store purchase (for $20 or less) into something else.

kuchisake_onna_animate_zpsi48m57dz.gif
    - Robin Williams

Chang's Grocer

Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    The shoelaces weren't necessary to keep Stupid standing, but they do help with the figure's stability. I can't take credit for the pose/design, a I based it entirely on this official Disney artwork of the character:

Stupid.jpg
    Thanks for the info. BTW: yours looks better.

Your work is always awesome, I love it! I always loved those characters. So much in fact that I made some characters way back as a kid. IN the fever of TMNT and the clones I made Ninja Ferrets, they're pretty slick, I'll try to find some pics and show you, you'll get a laugh,

Lazy SNK Employee

Amazing detail and quality!!! I like the scene where they all smack their heads together, I lost it.

ALL OTHER TROPICAL STORMS BOW BEFORE EL NIŃO!

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

@ElectricGrave: There were shitloads of TMNT rip-offs/homages (Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters, Samurai Pizza Cats, etc.), so, you weren't alone. If you do have some pics of your Ninja Ferrets creations, then, yes, please share them with the rest of us!

@SouthAmericaNeo: Once I hit puberty, I was, and still am, fixated on Jessica Rabbit, but, when I was a kid, the weasels were definitely my favorites!

PfLxmisb.jpg
    - Robin Williams

Oh I'm def obessesed withJessica Rabbit, I must have wore that vhs tape off rewinding trying to watch that part where she falls off the car, just looking for that muff...I'm still looking BTW.

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

Here ya go (you can't really see anything graphic, but kinda NSFW I guess):

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/jessica.asp
    - Robin Williams

...a life long dream. I'm crying tears of joy.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by M View Post
    My lazy ass finally got around to modeling a new figure after a several month hiatus: Stupid from the 1988 Who Framed Roger Rabbit? film.

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_rotation.gif

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid04.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid05.jpg

334791_29Nov16_s_hand.jpg

Partnered with the Wheezy (from the same film) figure I made last year:

334791_29Nov16_s_wheezy.jpg

And some work-in-progess shots:

334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab01.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab02.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab03.jpg334791_29Nov16_WFRR_stupid_fab05.jpg

Materials:
    Newsprint (since the election is over, I recycled my copy of the League of Women Voters Voter Guide newspaper into a weasel, which, considering who won the presidency, is entirely appropriate in my opinion), tissue paper, a Tractor Supply Labor Day sales advertisement (I used this to decoupage the blue shirt and shoe stripes, because I really didn't want to go through the trouble of masking to paint those), white glue, acrylic paint, and wire twist ties (internal support for the thinnest projecting bits that are most likely to break, namely the beanie propeller, untied shoelaces, and nail in the baseball bat).

Dimensions:
    4.2 cm (1.7") wide x 8.9 cm (3.5") tall x 5.1 cm (2.0") deep.

Time:
    Three days: November 25th, 27th, and 28th, 2016.
    Are you going to make any other characters from that movie?

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

I might make the other three weasels someday, to complete the quintet. Jessica and/or Roger are potential contenders too. The goofy living bullets Eddie Valiant used in his cartoon gun later in the film are kind of neat/memorable as well.
    - Robin Williams

Ukyo's Doctor

Crazy stuff,nice work
    Looking for UK copies of Dive Alert Becky's Version, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters, and Pocket Reversi.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41108&dateline=145772  3980

Thread Information