Neo Geo Shop Sign

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
I'd love that rental sign. If the exchange rate was back to the good old days of 230 yen to the pound i'd probably say sod it and put a bid on that sign!

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I'd love that rental sign. If the exchange rate was back to the good old days of 230 yen to the pound i'd probably say sod it and put a bid on that sign!

Even at £1200 that's a little too much for a plastic sign...

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
yeah, that was the initial price, sounds like the guy is definitively trying to flip.... I would say 800-1200$ would be it's price..seen it going for 600, couple of years ago.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The flag auction really ended with an high sale price, particularly considering the bad shape of the item...

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
Maybe this is a noobish question to ask, but does original neo geo memorabilia like this ususally sell for so high? Like I get that those were really used to advertise shops and such back in the day so that's cool but I feel like you could fab these things at honestly a higher quality for like a 10th of the price

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I feel like you could fab these things at honestly a higher quality for like a 10th of the price

The real banner is pure silk, though it still could be fab'bed... but at 10 times the original price.

Edit: ng.com member Arcade-TV made a faboulous fab for 10th the price, no silk though.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
yeah i gotta question how the fuck do you fab something

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I would say one has to consider two points:

1) the historical value of such memorabilia, and

2) the objective rareness of this kind of items, originally meant for resellers, hence never sold to the consumer public, plus subjected to rough use and honest aging.

All in all, those kind of items are like museum items. You can just ignore them, they're no treasure. But, if you have that particular interest of an historian, they're quite priceless.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
The real banner is pure silk, though it still could be fab'bed... but at 10 times the original price.

The real banners were not made out of pure silk... these things were made to be hung outside of shops and would have been made out of a cheaper durable material... not a premium expensive one.

I have another one of these Japanese banners (not the Neo Rental one above) and it is definitely not silk...

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
yeah i gotta question how the fuck do you fab something

Very carefully with a screen printer and some nylon. Like oliverclaude said above, someone's done it. Like I'm not expecting anyone to do this themselves but I feel like any printing company would be happy to do this for way cheaper than an original would cost.

To Shito, that actually makes a lot of sense, I got that it was memorabilia and means a lot to some people because of what it represents, but I didn't know this stuff was super rare. I just kind of assumed there was a time where neo rental signs would be everywhere in Japan so they wouldn't be too expensive.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The real banners were not made out of pure silk... these things were made to be hung outside of shops and would have been made out of a cheaper durable material... not a premium expensive one.

I have another one of these Japanese banners (not the Neo Rental one above) and it is definitely not silk...

But you didn't actually have the exact original one to check, right?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
But you didn't actually have the exact original one to check, right?

I have. Three of them, actually, two of which in brand-new condition.

They are basically (and very typically) made of plastic fabric.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
To Shito, that actually makes a lot of sense, I got that it was memorabilia and means a lot to some people because of what it represents, but I didn't know this stuff was super rare. I just kind of assumed there was a time where neo rental signs would be everywhere in Japan so they wouldn't be too expensive.

Yes and no. Keep in mind NEO•GEO has always been a pricy niche market in Japan, starting from its original rental days. And its rental life was short-lived, also. So, guess quite a lot of that memorabilia has been happily trashed by operators within the first year... ;-)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I have. Three of them, actually, two of which in brand-new condition.

They are basically (and very typically) made of plastic fabric.

Thanks for confirming that. A myth, I couldn't disprove for a long time.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Thing is, we look at a lot of this stuff as westerners or outsiders to living in japan. A example of this is the various PS2 HORI Real Arcade Pro joysticks. I got a bunch of those for peanuts off YJ. If you buy them in the US, it is like 200+. I'm curious how many of these signs exist though.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm curious how many of these signs exist though.

Yeah, I'd lke to know that myself, but the question is rather how many of these survived. SNK's willingness to throw money out the window is legendary, therefore, collecting their merchandise, though difficult, is indeed rewarding.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Eventually the seller re-listed the item for much less (98,000 yen, 835$ instead of the initial 280,000) and there has been only one bid, which won for that price... seems in line with the evaluation I did in my previous post... he was indeed just trying to flip, way beyond the market value.

Last edited:

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
Eventually the seller re-listed the item for much less (98,000 yen, 835$ instead of the initial 280,000) and there has been only one bid, which won for that price... seems in line with the evaluation I did in my previous post... he was indeed just trying to flip, way beyond the market value.

I figured it was worth less than the original listing price but 98,000 yen is still more than I would expect!

To Shito's points (again), Thanks for confirming that the signs are plastic fiber, that's what I suspected; I own a couple of Japanese flag style signs like that and that's the exact material they're made of, don't know why people would expect neo signs would be different. And to the idea that the Neo rental area was short lived in Japan, how short are we talking? Was it shorter than it was here in the States? I know it wasn't exactly a booming industry but I thought AES rentals were a thing in the west for a pretty long while, and they were at least popular enough for the AES to get sold retail.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I figured it was worth less than the original listing price but 98,000 yen is still more than I would expect!

To Shito's points (again), Thanks for confirming that the signs are plastic fiber, that's what I suspected; I own a couple of Japanese flag style signs like that and that's the exact material they're made of, don't know why people would expect neo signs would be different. And to the idea that the Neo rental area was short lived in Japan, how short are we talking? Was it shorter than it was here in the States? I know it wasn't exactly a booming industry but I thought AES rentals were a thing in the west for a pretty long while, and they were at least popular enough for the AES to get sold retail.

April 26 1990 to July 1st 1991

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Massi: that's the correct theory, given Jult the 1st, 1991, marks the Japanese domestic re-launch of the NEO•GEO for consumer sale market. BUT we know SNK had in fact effectively killed the rental narket as for the end of 1990 already, AND the 'rental' labelling on AES games lasted just for the very first four releases, namely not longer than a single month in 1990...

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Massi: that's the correct theory, given Jult the 1st, 1991, marks the Japanese domestic re-launch of the NEO•GEO for consumer sale market. BUT we know SNK had in fact effectively killed the rental narket as for the end of 1990 already, AND the 'rental' labelling on AES games lasted just for the very first four releases, namely not longer than a single month in 1990...

Isn't it the first 5 releases Shito ?