What痴 The Deal With Those Sega Saturn COOL Pads You Often Find on eBay? Are They Legit?

FortNinety

n00b
​So, I知 constantly on the hunt for back up Saturn controllers, which are becoming harder and harder to come by (as I知 sure you all know by now), the regular ones at least.

Though you will find a fairly decent amount of the special, semi-transparent 典HIS IS COOL models on eBay. So I decided to purchase one, brand new/boxed, and it doesn稚 work. So I was wondering

1. Are these COOL pads legit? Given their relative abundance (the THIS IS COOL ones, I thought, were supposed to be in limited supply; if anything else, they should be harder to come across than the regular editions) and the fact that mine was a dud, I知 wondering if it was a knock off?

BTW, before anyone asks; I took mine out of the box and tossed the controller into storage with all the rest, right before a move, without testing it. So I don稚 have the packaging to double check. I know, I know, but I am confident that I didn稚 damage it in any way. After all, all my other controllers work fine

2. Let痴 say I do have a genuine article. Is there anyone around here who be nice enough to take a look at it, and maybe even fix it? I値l try to make it worth your time!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah they are legit. They came with the this is cool edition (aka skeleton) Saturn in Japan. The only difference is the clear shell and the writing. They command a premium because it's from a LE version of the system.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
You can find this controller 5 ways.

It was sold separately in a box in Japan under the name "Cool Pad"
item number: HSS-0162
part number: 671-9042A
barcode: 4974365001698

It is also available in a console bundle, in one of these:
- Sega Saturn Skeleton Campaign (HST-0020) [Japan]
- Sega Saturn Skeleton (HST-3220) [Japan]
- Sega Saturn Skeleton with Derby Stallion [Japan]
- Sega Saturn (in green box) [Brazil]

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The Derby Saturn isn't the same as a Cool Saturn, though maybe I am missing your point. The Derby is a clear blue, while the Cool is a clear black.