Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I would say its the caps above anything else

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I would say its the caps above anything else

I agree again. Many people think it's always the laser lens that needs to be replaced when a console stops reading discs. Every cd system I had fixed never needed the lens replaced. It usually needs some LG on the rails and a lens adjustment. In the Duo's case they are known to have shit caps and changing them usually fixes the issue.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On a Duo you always change the caps before you even think about looking at anything else.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
The PCEngine FX guys are Keith Courage, and TurboKun. There are also some on facebook OBEY group if you're on there.

Keith Courage did some work for me, and it turned out very well. It wasn't on a D-Lite level, but it was pretty good.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Probably all located in the US, might aswell send the thing to cdamm.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Bad caps will start giving issues with low to no sound, when the system is doing what you described then it's usually the laser that took a dump.

In any case, if that Duo is on the original caps then they are already leaking and fucking up the PCB and should be replaced asap, there's 56 of them and all are fairly simple to replace.

Replacing the CD drive is a 10min job, tuning it takes longer but both are fairly easy.

Are there no mofos in Germany that can solder?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You all think i should get my duo r recapped soon?

You could but I heard the R and RX don't have the same shit caps as the original Duo.

It won't hurt to have them changed.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah i heard that too but im assuming they will stsrt to give at some point.

geise

Mickey's Coach
First where is the lens sitting? Is it all the way to the right? A bad read of a disc can lock the lens to the right. You need to open the shit up, remove the plastic piece around the cd spindle and manually move the plastic gears to adjust the lens back to the center. Sometimes this happens from dried up cd lens rails. I replaced my cd lens before I did a full re-cap and it would still lock to the right and wouldn't read anything till i manually moved it back again. The lens could be weak and might be related to caps, but even then I hear these newer Hop-M3 lasers tend to be weaker than the original ones. The one I replaced now has a high pitched whine sound sometimes. This is after a full re-cap.

leonk

Marked Wolf
Most laser failures are not because of bad laser, but leaking caps that make laser work out of spec. Also, the crap that leaks out of these caps is conductive (ie short circuit chips on board!). I've done dozens of duo repairs, and it was always the caps! (and damage the leakge caused)

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Good luck, I've sent mine out to be fixed and swapped the laser twice. It just made things worse, so I gave up on it. Worst. Drive. Ever.

Ever dealt with a x'eye laser... That's the worst one ever. Lol.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ever dealt with a x'eye laser... That's the worst one ever. Lol.

What? I've had a few X'Eyes and the laser always worked great. It read all my back up discs without a problem, same with the cdx. Never had any Laser Issues with my X'Eye or cdx and have had them for years. The X'Eye is Notorious for having that shit Lid Pinswitch though.

Makes me wonder what kind of discs you guys are using to play these systems?

Last edited: