GRADIUS or LIFE FORCE

public poll fuckheads

• Total voters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
a split even 8/8. fucking beautiful. close thread, no Best Of.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Gradius. My fav console versions are Gradius (PCE) and Gradius II (FC). It's crazy how much better Gradius is for PCE than NES/FC. Having said that, I really like Salamander too, especially the Saturn collection.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I liked lifeforce on nes a lot because of it being 2p, but gradius was one of my first carts so I still love that one. I still haven't found a single gradius arcade board for sale 1-4, I seem to always miss them. I did recently pull out the psone and tried gradius gaiden for the first time, really fun game!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I just realized I never beat either game. What a noob.

edit: played gradius 2 for a bit. stuck at the goddamn ice level. fuck this shit i ain't got no time for it

Last edited:

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Gradius is fantastic but Salamander is just a lot better IMO. I love the switching between horizontal and vertical stages.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm all about Lifeforce

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gradius for me, Vic's desing is perfect here... the whole game's such an icon, while still managing to remain a plug & play game. Insatiable!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just realized I never beat either game. What a noob.

edit: played gradius 2 for a bit. stuck at the goddamn ice level. fuck this shit i ain't got no time for it

The ripple laser and fast fingers make short work of the ice level.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Gradius!
I think this and R-type and I'm set on shooters, both great on the PCE too.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I never liked Gradius, but loved Lifeforce, which was the first NES game I bought myself bitd. However, Gradius II is the first game in the series I like and everything seemed to click.

So Gradius II on its own tops Lifeforce for me, but if the condition of playing Gradius II was to alternate with playthroughs of the original, I'd probably choose to only play Lifeforce instead.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Life Force and Legendary Wings were the 2 big shmups I had growing up. My best friend and I burned through soooo many hours trying to get through that game. Little by little figuring out the best way to approach it.

Fuck that game was hard and we never did beat it but we got pretty close...I've tried going back to both the NES and Arcade versions and it just doesnt do it for me. Same with Gradius 1.

Im pretty sure i'd have the same affinity for Gradius had I grown up with it but i didnt play that game till i was nearly an adult.

As much as I love Gradius, I dont think I can fairly judge it against Life Force. So Life Force based mostly on nostalgia.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i am just fucking stunened at how close this vote is,like a gooddamned presidential election.it's been 50/52 the hwoletime.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
i am just fucking stunened at how close this vote is,like a gooddamned presidential election.it's been 50/52 the hwoletime.

They're both well-made solid games. They have their strengths and weaknesses, but I've never objectively felt that one was better than the other, tho g2 is my fave, and the arcade version of G3 gets some negative marks for poorly balanced difficulty.

It's interesting because some people are having trouble making decisions and are picking based on nostalgia some of the time.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Video game preferences rooted mainly in nostalgia is usually par for the course.

Just for the sake of discussion, I'll say from personal experience I've discovered games that are 20 years old and they quickly end up on my list of favorites. There's no nostalgia in the equation, because I never played them before. For example, I've loved kid Icarus since I was 10, but I recently played Nazo no Murasame Jo, and I think it's a better game from the same era.

That's just me, though.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Just for the sake of discussion, I'll say from personal experience I've discovered games that are 20 years old and they quickly end up on my list of favorites. There's no nostalgia in the equation, because I never played them before.

That's just me, though.

Same. I think this tends to be the exception, hence I find nothing interesting about the decisions falling under "the rule".

"I played X as a kid, and a never played Y, nor do I plan to, so my choice is X". Yawn!

Don't get me wrong though, it's not like I won't consciously indulge in it from time to time.

Last edited: