what supergun should I buy?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
From the specs, they both generally have the same things you'd expect from a no-frills supergun: controller ports, kick harness compatibility, +5v and -5v and scart for video. The latter has an enclosure, but that's all I can tell from quick look of differences. Both should work fine for those two games, but the big downside to both is that, as previously mentioned, they're no frills.

If you're just wanting to play these games, and dabble without much financial risk, either one should be fine.

If you're crazy enough to be serious about playing PCBs, you might want something nicer like a Sigma product for it's enclosure, quality controls and different kinds of video outputs.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
thanks for mentioning it ballz.

also of note there is a pretty good video coming out soon thats a supergun showdown between mine, the mak, and jasens. but also shows the pluses and minuses of each one vs the others. i'll post it up when its up.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
+1 for the windy... I just got one and it's dope.

plosk

n00b
thanks for replies guys, those superguns what you mentioned look very solid and are expensive. what i want is to play these games safely. No frills is absolutley fine for me. anyone tested one of these superguns? What about psu? which one to get. Thanks!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
thanks for replies guys, those superguns what you mentioned look very solid and are expensive. what i want is to play these games safely. No frills is absolutley fine for me. anyone tested one of these superguns? What about psu? which one to get. Thanks!

the issue with the cheaper ones you showed is that you need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make them work. - for example the mak needs at least the power supply, and if you plan to go to 6 buttons the cps2 adapter. thats an extra 59 euro on top for both of those things before shipping. if you want an enclosure for it and not just a raw pcb thats another 15 euro. and if you need an extension for the jamma you would end up finding one for 15-20 euro.

Im sure of the examples you listed, they are both safe to play. but neither are really as cheap as they look when you factor in everything else you would need to make them work. both james' and my machines are ready to go out of the box and the price you see is the price you pay. same thing for the jasen one. i cant speak for everyone elses builds, but mine has a universal power supply that will work in europe. mine also has the jamma extension and cps2 kick built in. Mine comes with composite/ s-vid and there is a scart option available if you need it- will you have to get cabling on the cheaper models you are looking at?

at the end of the day you should buy what you are most comfortable with. check with the other two builders you were looking at and ask about intangibles like tech support or warranty. figure out if you need an enclosure or if you want to have all of your components mounted to a plank of wood or something like that.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I forgot to mention the PSU and cables, but you've also got to remember the cost of controllers, OP. It all adds up really fast, even for no-frills.

Aurich

n00b
also of note there is a pretty good video coming out soon thats a supergun showdown between mine, the mak, and jasens. but also shows the pluses and minuses of each one vs the others. i'll post it up when its up.

I'm interested in that video myself. Is Jasen still making superguns? I just got his CPS3 Super Bios enclosure yesterday, so I know he's not on deployment right now, but I didn't think he had the time for those anymore.

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
Be carefull with the arcadeforge mak strike. without mod it kills usb and snes adapters and stuff

i have the adcap mk 30, i really like it a lot. it has the pau included in the housing and the size of a neo geo 4 slot.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
All.I can say is
cdamm & Xian Xi
Makes awesome Superguns

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Hello, recently I acquired 2 arcade pcbs, which are konami vendetta and capcom final fight.
Have found these superguns:

http://www.retroelectronik.com/en/s...autofirevoltmeter-included-5674864654514.html

http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Strike/Supergun-MAK-Strike::74.html

Which one is better and safer to play? Or maybe something else? Thanks in advance for your support!

I owned the MAK Strike and overall its a solid product that gets the job done. It only outputs RGB via scart but frankly this is the only output that should matter, especially since you are in the UK.
It supports six buttons out of the box and the screw terminals for pretty much everything mean that even if you do not have the appropriate harness / finger board it is reasonably easy to ghetto rig up the controls to whatever PCB you are connecting.

plosk

n00b
hi again, I like that windy build, but whats stopping me is custom duties. if you buy thing which costs 300 dollars i would have to pay outstanding vat and shipping costs. Am i right?

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
If you want no frills and don't really want import duties, you can always try...

http://www.arcademultigame.co.uk/Arcade-Supergun-MKIV-PCB.html

It's cheap and it works. You have all the parts to source like all no frills superguns. I have had this one and I currently still have the Supergun MKI which uses SEGA Genesis controllers. I didn't have any issues with either. I prefer the Japanese retail superguns, but you can't complain for the price of the no frills stuff. If you can't afford a full spec supergun then you can piece it together over time. Still the same price in the end, but you don't feel the dent in your bank account as bad.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
For Vendetta, I wired up some 3&4P controller ports, which are good for lots of other multiplayer games. They are just molex connectors and cables with DB15 ports on the ends. They don't need to be integrated into the supergun.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
XX and RGB make the best, its either that or make your own.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
JNX, seriously. James' superguns are unsurpassed in quality, his communication is unbelievable, and he'll make the supergun EXACTLY the way you want it. You won't be disappointed.

plosk

n00b
Hi thanks for all replies, I decided to buy something better than these cheap pcb superguns. Atro offered me to build a supergun for me. He provided pictures of his previous builds and I am completely satisfied with the quality and price so I go for it. Anyone have used his builds? Thx

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I haven't but I'd trust Atro with my life if I had to, he's a gentleman.