Akihabara : A Japanese style bar/arcade

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
Well when the place isn't bumping and people come in and see a giant empty space it doesn't leave a good impression. Not going to take any more room than a couple chairs, it just looks awkward now.

He could spend a couple hundred bucks on a used display case and fill it with Japanese knick-knacks and the people not playing might actually spend a few more minutes in there checking it out. You know, until he tracks down a couple of those $10k dedicated sit down machines.

Also a good place to set up tournament sheets and have local flyers etc.

Good call on display cases I'll post that video soon were filling up space with things. that was a very early picture :) I'd like to fill up a trophy case with all my consoles and import stuff I have maybe even just shelves and sell pop figures or something

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
This is what I wish barcade in NY was, those candies are gorgeous. SF3S and craft beer are two of my favorite things, I've got family in boulder and I'll definitely make the trip to visit next time I'm in the area.

Like Mort said, I would love to hear the logistics that went into this. I'm sure a lot of people on the forum would love to own an honest to goodness arcade, and I'm sure it was a bitch to make all of this happen, but congrats on chasing your dreams, and good luck on making this thing work!

Biggest hurdle was the government. They want an incredible amount of money before you open. Licenses permits ect cost almost as much as the cabs shit you not. Liquor license amusement license 3 different permits for construction. Was around $12,000 for everything I had to pay my state and city. And I haven't even payed my use tax yet... For doing nothing other than existing and allowing me to operate. Luckily all the renewals are cheap.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Gashapon capsule toy machines would also be a cool way to fill up some space!

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
https://youtu.be/GJEgfLSYPPg

Link of walk through we're almost ready few touch ups here and there but that's it. Need to paint the wall for the nes projector and fire up the Xbox / dc cabs

Updated video of us actually open

Last edited:

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
I'll be heading to Denver sometime in the next few months. I'll definitely swing by to check the place out!

Out of curiosity - is everything set to free play or do the games require tokens/quarters/etc?

25c per play

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
https://youtu.be/HpkvOC5RDYI

Link of walk through we're almost ready few touch ups here and there but that's it. Need to paint the wall for the nes projector and fire up the Xbox / dc cabs

Looking good! Looks like you have plenty of space to acquire more cabs. Maybe a couple pachinko machines as well (although I guess that may not be possible since it's considered gambling). Dat erotic violence tho...

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective

Those VS cabs, hnnnnng. Also really really like the bar, I think there was a risk of it being too anime but it's done super tastefully.

I agree with everyone else in the thread that it looks a bit too empty, and honestly I'm not sure that the dedicated sit down cabs are gonna do it. I think a place like this really does just need a crapton of random Japanese tchotchkes everywhere to make it feel complete, I would def invest in a display case or two on top of everything else.

jewna

n00b
I may fly out there in the future just to see that candy cab collection. It's incredible. Versus city cabinets are some of the coolest I've ever seen. Do you plan on hosting any tournaments? I know e-sports SQUARE in japan hosts and streams tournaments where the viewers can buy the players food.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
Those VS cabs, hnnnnng. Also really really like the bar, I think there was a risk of it being too anime but it's done super tastefully.

I agree with everyone else in the thread that it looks a bit too empty, and honestly I'm not sure that the dedicated sit down cabs are gonna do it. I think a place like this really does just need a crapton of random Japanese tchotchkes everywhere to make it feel complete, I would def invest in a display case or two on top of everything else.

Agreed I will get there :) it's just going to take a couple months I'm basically out of start up capital so I'll need to start making some money back before I invest in anything else.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
I may fly out there in the future just to see that candy cab collection. It's incredible. Versus city cabinets are some of the coolest I've ever seen. Do you plan on hosting any tournaments? I know e-sports SQUARE in japan hosts and streams tournaments where the viewers can buy the players food.

Yeah, I plan on organizing my own and reaching out to groups to see if they would like to use it as a venue for tournaments

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
GameSack in Denver

Ask the "Sacks" to make an episode of your place. It'll widespread quick ;)

That's true. I was thinking the same thing actually. I bet Joe and Dave would have a good time there!

I wonder if it's a far journey from their location?

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
I reached out to the "Sacks" they said they are going to try and make it out :)

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Dont you get taxed per coin-op cab? Over here in WA, they treat it like slot machines & tax the hell out of it.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Looks sweet! Nice coffee table too.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
My gf goes to Denver for business every once in a while. I might tag along the next time she goes and check this place out.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Have you considered setting up a laptop to allow people to stream from the bar? I was watching some tekken 7 last night being streamed from an arcade by Aris. it was pretty cool. They said they just have a streaming setup at the arcade and allow people to use it as they like. So maybe someone will be playing a game there going for a 1cc, and they can stream it, or maybe a fighting game tournament can be streamed ect ect.

juanjuan

World Soccer '96
Man, if you would've done this 10 years ago, I would have been a regular, especially since I used to live in Northglenn (now I'm in Englewood).

Now, something tells me I'd be very out of place, as a 40 something y/o hispanic.

In any case, good luck. The 1ups seem to be doing great, so hopefully your implementation works as well.

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
No my city/state doesn't require it I just keep a log and deposit the money. Cpa takes care of the rest :)

neogeogod

Crazed MVS Addict
Man, if you would've done this 10 years ago, I would have been a regular, especially since I used to live in Northglenn (now I'm in Englewood).

Now, something tells me I'd be very out of place, as a 40 something y/o hispanic.

In any case, good luck. The 1ups seem to be doing great, so hopefully your implementation works as well.

I think we're going to crush it have had a lot of press and a lot of local feedback

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I don't know how common these places are in the US, but in Canada we have a large Chinese/Asian population so arcades like this used to be fairly common. Now that consoles have killed off most legit arcades, I see lots of bars/restaurants which offer "freeplay" gaming in exchange for cover, drinks, or whatnot. I suspect if your bar is respectable, you'll probably pull in the lions share of revenue from there. :-) If somehow your games pull in a large bulk of revenue, then you've got it made for sure as anything you make at the bar will be gravy!

Best of luck!