Worst arcade console ports

Tanooki

War Room Troll
But is the Atari ST release of SF2 as awful as the Brazilian only SMS release of the game?

And MK1 on the GG actually isn't that bad, try the Gameboy one if you really want to flip your shit how bad it is. They didn't even try and make it close, even all the moves are missing, jacked up, and input different than any other release. The only good I guess, it's not sweaty like on SNES as it's dark blobs.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm surprised to see Darkstalkers for PS1 mentioned...I always thought that was a pretty great port considering the RAM limitations. X-Men:COTA on the other hand, is hands-down the worst CPS-2 to PS1 port there is. As if the cut frames weren't enough, the piece of trash runs at 30 fps (why?), and the screen is severely letter-boxed. Oh, and it takes a year to load. Honorable mention goes to Samurai Shodown 3 on PS1.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
To me DS and COTA are in the same level of ports for the psx they are both pretty meh. I understand limitations and what have you but still, I guess it was early for capcom working on CPS2 ports? Although alpha wasn't that bad...MVS was a better port, they got better and better with psx ports, alpha 3 is very playable but you I haven't gone back to it since back in the day when it was the only way I had to play alpha 3.

Fatal Fury 3 Saturn is still my top dog for horrible ports. Its just straight up bad, skip mess from hell.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I'm surprised to see Darkstalkers for PS1 mentioned...I always thought that was a pretty great port considering the RAM limitations. X-Men:COTA on the other hand, is hands-down the worst CPS-2 to PS1 port there is. As if the cut frames weren't enough, the piece of trash runs at 30 fps (why?), and the screen is severely letter-boxed. Oh, and it takes a year to load. Honorable mention goes to Samurai Shodown 3 on PS1.

I got Xmen for free.

Wasn't worth it.

gtmartini

Rugal's Thug
I really hated Mortal kombat 2 for sega saturn. It is the worst port I ever played for this game. I is a genesis version without the good control and speed of the genesis. The controll is even wort then the SNES version. It freezes every special attack you make. Has some frames/animation problem. It is very hard. I think they rushed to finish it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I really hated Mortal kombat 2 for sega saturn. It is the worst port I ever played for this game. I is a genesis version without the good control and speed of the genesis. The controll is even wort then the SNES version. It freezes every special attack you make. Has some frames/animation problem. It is very hard. I think they rushed to finish it.

snes port of mortal kombat 2 was bad?. it's actually my favourite port of the game, and mortal kombat fans swear by it. the controls might be a little stiffer than other versions, but it's ever so slightly that it doesn't interfere with the gameplay.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
snes port of mortal kombat 2 was bad?. it's actually my favourite port of the game, and mortal kombat fans swear by it. the controls might be a little stiffer than other versions, but it's ever so slightly that it doesn't interfere with the gameplay.

Genesis plays faster than the SNES, but the trade-off of the smaller memory and limitations of the Genesis were degraded visuals. I still prefer the Genesis version over the SNES version.

That being said, you can't go wrong with the 32X port. The speed of the Genesis MKII, and the close-but-not-quite visuals of the SNES port.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Word. I played the shit out of the SNES game when it was released but I won't go back to it now.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I played the shit out of the SNES version, was really good at it. There's really no beating the arcade original of either MK or MKII, they NEED that feel. I cannot express how many amazing nights alone I had as a teenager, getting loaded on speed and playing Mortal Kombat on MAME. I did this for like 16+ hours at a time, skipping school in favor of this awesome activity. I don't regret that shit either. This was around the time i actually developed a psychosis (big surprise) and 20+ hours of Galaga acted as a catalyst for my brain to slip into it fully. To this day when I play the arcade version of Galaga, my skin on my entire body raises and ripples and I feel like I'm going to crash an airplane or piss my panties or something

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
MK2 on the SNES brings back memories...before I had an SNES I would ride my bike 5 miles to the nearest K-Mart and play at the kiosk for hours. SNES version is to me the best port. I ended up with the Genesis version and while it played good, it didn't look as good as the SNES port and the music sucked. Who woulda thought the Saturn port would be even worse...seriously wtf why couldn't we ever get a perfect port?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Who woulda thought the Saturn port would be even worse...seriously wtf why couldn't we ever get a perfect port?

The Saturn port isn't "worse" than the 16-bit ports.

There's no excuse for it being as inferior to the arcade version as it is though.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Guilty pleasure (arcade version). Something satisfying about being able to decapitate an opponent at the start of the match and win.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
^ Guilty pleasure (arcade version). Something satisfying about being able to decapitate an opponent at the start of the match and win.

super guilty pleasure. still a terrible game.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The Saturn port isn't "worse" than the 16-bit ports.

There's no excuse for it being as inferior to the arcade version as it is though.

I'm exaggerating a little of course, but there's no reason for the missing sound effects, mid-fight loads every time a character does a special move, sounds dropping out, etc. At the very least, the Genesis/SNES ports play pretty darn close to the arcade without all of the annoying interruptions. I admit, I've never played the PS1 version though...not sure how that one compares.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Whoops, double post, but I thought of another one - the Dreamcast port of 3rd Strike. Coming from the best arcade to home port Capcom ever did with Double Impact just a few months earlier, this one was baffling.

Last edited:

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
I bought World Heroes on genesis and fucking god, that is a really bad port of that game, bad in every aspect. Still have it. Also after burner for master system for me is bad and unplayable. Killer instincts for GB is garbage too.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Whoops, double post, but I thought of another one - the Dreamcast port of 3rd Strike. Coming from the best arcade to home port Capcom ever did with Double Impact just a few months earlier, this one was baffling.

i know there as a problem with the alpha 3 port on the dreamcast, but didn't know third strike had problems as well. what was wrong with it exactly?.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
i know there as a problem with the alpha 3 port on the dreamcast, but didn't know third strike had problems as well. what was wrong with it exactly?.

That's what I would like to know, too.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Alpha 3 DC, what problems are there? Alpha 3 Naomi and DC aside from pixel count discrepancies there's really nothing I can't think of being a problem.

I heard something about 3D hit boxes or some shit but in all honesty it hasn't affected my game none. Same for 3rdS but I have heard more than once there are problems with this port as well, dunno what they're talking about. Maybe the problems only arise at top level play in which case, NO ONE here other than LWK has nothing to worry about.

People are too concerned with gameplay elements they can't even reach, the same goes for SNK ports on the DC.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Both KOF 99's were great on the DC. Strange how the BGs are 3D and yet neither game supports VGA natively, kinda weird...however...both games produce 240p so nicely, maybe that's why? I dunno, all this shit is way above my head, I just wanna play the games, unfortunately the only way to get some games is on fightcade where I get my ass handed to me on KOF on a regular basis, I have to be the worst in there, lol.