Worst arcade console ports

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes...and you can stfu and stop bitching about SF SNES ports altogether.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I still play the SNES versions of CE and Turbo, the look and sound worse but they actually feel close to the originals.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
same here, eg. but i went through this with marvel super heroes vs street fighter. i was extremely disappointed when i came to the realisation that the characters were not changeable. there was even cheats in gaming magazines to allow the ability to switch between characters, but it was all a lie.

I hate you guys... I loved both these games and spent hundreds of hours on them.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I hate you guys... I loved both these games and spent hundreds of hours on them.

i actually really like the port of marvel super heroes vs street fighter on the ps1. i was just disappointed that the ability to switch between characters wasn't available. the animation is surprisingly done well. and the added ability to do multiple supers was a great touch and a reason to play the ps1 port over the others. and it also has a bonus art gallery.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I can agree with that, the games are wotrh a play through, even MvC, I just really love the tag system, not having it takes away some of the fun.

Edit: I will say however that by the time these vs ports came out, capcom got way better at it with PSX, that's why I think they're playable. Even Darkstalkers 3 is very playable, full roster and VS2 "groove", it's a decent port for what it is.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I understand younger members not understanding the older console systems limitations and shitting on some of the old ports, but when I see the older members shitting on them too I scratch my head. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

masschamber

NEST Puppet
15 Year Member
I nominate mortal kombat advance, why the gba struggles with mortal kombat 3 is beyond me, Though I guess if you count it that first king of fighters on gba is explosively bad as well.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I understand younger members not understanding the older console systems limitations and shitting on some of the old ports, but when I see the older members shitting on them too I scratch my head. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Really? :scratch:
Do you have a pick?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I like CE speed.

Same here. I don't like it too fast or too slow. If you play it too fast it doesn't look or feel right. If you play it too slow it's like watching paint dry. I forgot which one I played a few days ago that was super fast. I actually think the first Rainbow Hack is at the perfect speed.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
ElectricGrave (and others), you keep talking about how terrible the PSX ports of capcom fighters are, and I get that they took out the switching in the VS games, but is the actual gameplay/framerate/speed really messed up so much as to make them unplayable? Genuienly asking, I've never played any capcom fighters on my PSX, and I my first instinct would be to say that the PSX would run much better than the SNES and maybe even the saturn given how much more powerful it was.

Was there just something in the system architecture that made it hard for capcom to port properly?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
ElectricGrave (and others), you keep talking about how terrible the PSX ports of capcom fighters are, and I get that they took out the switching in the VS games, but is the actual gameplay/framerate/speed really messed up so much as to make them unplayable? Genuienly asking, I've never played any capcom fighters on my PSX, and I my first instinct would be to say that the PSX would run much better than the SNES and maybe even the saturn given how much more powerful it was.

Was there just something in the system architecture that made it hard for capcom to port properly?

No they play arcade perfect, the PS1 lacked the RAM to hold 4 different character types so you couldn't tag your partner in. It also has really bad loading screens inbetween fights, other than that they played arcade perfect.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
No they play arcade perfect, the PS1 lacked the RAM to hold 4 different character types so you couldn't tag your partner in. It also has really bad loading screens inbetween fights, other than that they played arcade perfect.
I saw complaints about Darkstalkers and the Alpha series too, are loading screens the only problem there too? Because if so that hardly makes them a bad port

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

you have it the other way around. the saturn was the more powerful console in terms of 2d capability. even without the ram, 2d fighters looked way better on the saturn. there are many videos of side to side comparisons in which you could clearly see the difference in animation and over all quality. but this doesn't mean that the ps1 ports are unplayable.as electricgrave said, they are decant ports for what they are.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I saw complaints about Darkstalkers and the Alpha series too, are loading screens the only problem there too? Because if so that hardly makes them a bad port

Dude, for the sake of the discussion please re-read what I wrote instead of putting words in my mouth. I know what I said but you obviously didn't quite catch it.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

Really? :scratch:
Do you have a pick?

eye-of-the-beholder-usa.png

Last edited:

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
Dude, for the sake of the discussion please re-read what I wrote instead of putting words in my mouth. I know what I said but you obviously didn't quite catch it.

Oh my bad, saw what you said about the Alpha series and retract part of my comment. You did list Darkstalkers PSX under some of your choices, though, so I'm curious as to what's wrong with that

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The frame skipping in DS is so bad it feels like stuttering. CotA also suffers from this problem and is way more noticeable during the super jumps.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The frame skipping in DS is so bad it feels like stuttering. CotA also suffers from this problem and is way more noticeable during the super jumps.

This exactly. In the psx version of xmvssf, Juggernaught is missing so many frames of animation that he animates like an old slideshow. Obvious hardware limitations aside, it was just a vastly inferior product compared to the saturn release which was able to maintain the frames and gameplay due to the ram cart.

EDIT: Gameplay differences aside, Juggernaught's lack of in-between animation frames is a far more dramatic example for anyone who wants to check this out for themselves.

Last edited:

GreyFox

n00b
Reading through most of the ones I would have picked have already been mentioned. While there are obvious ones (pretty much most ports from arcade to Spectrum/2600/C64 etc) I am going to go for the ones which should have been so much better than they were based on the hardware capability of the host machine:

Pit Fighter - SNES - the arcade game was ok, nothing special but hit at the right time. The Megadrive had a decent port, the SNES along the to be able to do this in its sleep but the port was an absolute shambles. Barely playable with hit detection which at best was a lottery. Shameful!

GoldenAxe - PCE - the Sprite handling of the little box that could plus the awesome storage potential of CD-Rom surely this would be the definitive version of the iconic arcade back and slash game. Tiny sprites and My-First-MSPaint-Attempt backgrounds made this massively disappointing. Nice music though I guess and classic cutscenes.

My number one pick though in terms of not really being a port but sharing the same name is Street Fighter The Movie. While the idea of a game based on a movie which was based on a game to start with might be a bit mad digitising the actors to capture that MK crowd and changing up the game play quite a lot meant the arcade game was a decent enough addition to the legacy. However when ported to Saturn and PlayStation they seemed to take the graphics from the Arcade game, change out some characters and build a sort of homage to SF2 Turbo. The console game is actually nowhere near as bad as often thought but just an odd game which I consider a "sort-of-port" as it shares much with its source material including name and genre and many graphical elements but comes out an entirely different product.

As an aside - for underpowered machines that are ill equipped to cope with having arcade ports released for it the Tiger Game.Com must lead the way with Indy 500, Williams Arcade Classics, Centipede, Frogger and not arcade ports but near as dammit Fighter MegaMix and Mortal Kombat Trilogy. Almost admire them for being crazy enough to even use the names. The Red Zone system also has a Daytona USA......port

geise

Mickey's Coach
OP must have never played Street Fighter II on the Atari ST.

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
I remember the Sega Game Gear port of the original Mortal Kombat being fairly poor, but I haven't played that in 20+ years...

Since that's the only port of Mortal Kombat 1 that I've ever played, I don't have any other systems to compare it to. I know people hate the SNES port because Nintendo forced Acclaim to remove the blood, though.