Worst arcade console ports

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Honorable shit port mentions: Street Fighter and Street Fighter 2 both on Amiga and C64. Same goes for Final Fight.

Yeah those were pretty bad. I had the C64 ports. Had they put actual screenshots of the games on the back of the cartons I wouldn't have bought them.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Anyone complaining about butchered Capcom PSX ports or the SNES SFA2 port should sit down and devote some time to WH on the MD.

Yeah I agree. It never received an MD release though. Genesis only.

oh cool didn't know there was an arcade mega man x, gotta check it out

Me neither till now, I want to try it.

Is it any good, Danthor?

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Worse than Atari 2600 Double Dragon?

I'd say it is. At least the developers of the Atari port didn't write an apology in the manual for the game's craptacularity.

The Ocean port of DD that came out later is a bit less craptacular, though.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
X-Men vs Street Fighter on the ps1 gets my vote. With the import saturn version being so fantastic, I was never sure why this horrible port even had to exist. When the core mechanic of the game you are porting has to be removed/gimped so severely, why even bother at all? Shame on you capcom. Shame.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Because people used them like consoles.

Also don't question me.

It's funny that you say that. Because in the end, Amiga fans were trying to use at some point the CD32 which is actually a console, as a computer... Go figure... :rolleyes:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
X-Men vs Street Fighter on the ps1 gets my vote. With the import saturn version being so fantastic, I was never sure why this horrible port even had to exist. When the core mechanic of the game you are porting has to be removed/gimped so severely, why even bother at all? Shame on you capcom. Shame.

i remember the ps1 port of x men vs street fighter to be unplayable in comparison to the saturn port or even other 2d fighters on the ps1.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

This was the game that made me get my first import ever in the form of the Sega Saturn port. The PSX port is playable but the lack of tag ruined it for me, it literally broke my heart. I didn't know any better back then, I thought I was gonna jam some xvs like at the arcade, what a game!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
The CD32 is just a A1200 without the imput methods.

No shit Sherlock :D

Had both. I ended up giving my CD32 to a friend back in the day.
Now I regret it. Not because it was good - coz it obviously wasn't. But they're paying good for it.

I never got that Commodore paranoia to place controller ports on the sides... What where they thinking!?!?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
This was the game that made me get my first import ever in the form of the Sega Saturn port. The PSX port is playable but the lack of tag ruined it for me, it literally broke my heart. I didn't know any better back then, I thought I was gonna jam some xvs like at the arcade, what a game!

same here, eg. but i went through this with marvel super heroes vs street fighter. i was extremely disappointed when i came to the realisation that the characters were not changeable. there was even cheats in gaming magazines to allow the ability to switch between characters, but it was all a lie.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
But guy is just Cody with less damage and a gimmicky wall jump. :P

You take that back sir!
giphy.gif

My Vote for Worst port though is this
39213-Street_Fighter_II'_-_Special_Champion_Edition_(USA)-1.jpg
Sound was horrible and having to press start (Pre 6 button Genny pads) for kick controls was also bad. But hey I guess they tried to do the best they could!

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
My Vote for Worst port though is this
View attachment 40918
Sound was horrible and having to press start (Pre 6 button Genny pads) for kick controls was also bad. But hey I guess they tried to do the best they could!

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

The 6-button pads came out at the same time this game came out, tho...

This version played exactly like the SNES version...

This wasn't a bad port at all, aside from the sound and smaller selection of colors.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
:scratch::scratch::scratch:

The 6-button pads came out at the same time this game came out, tho...

This version played exactly like the SNES version...

This wasn't a bad port at all, aside from the sound and smaller selection of colors.
I still hated it and didn't know about that little controller history. No one I knew had a 6 button controller at the time so all I remember are those two issues that I brought up. The sound alone drove me away since I had the Snes version.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
genesis sf2ce.

GENESIS SF2CE.

fucking close the thread

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Genny haters gonna hate. Was there a huge difference between the Genny and Snes version. I don't get it.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Genny haters gonna hate. Was there a huge difference between the Genny and Snes version. I don't get it.
I actually love the genesis but I happen to just dislike this port of SFCE. The thread is subjective in a way, especially when there is defense of SFA2 for SNES but there is agreeable distaste for any of the PSX ports of the VS games ( I agree the Saturn versions are way better).
:-J

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
TMNT Tournament fighters for the NES and Genny were horrible. I know it's not a port but it's so vastly inferior to the SNES game that it feels like subpar ports.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Out of the 3 main 4th generation consoles, I never got what's so "good" about the Snes version of SF2CE/Turbo that everyone raves about...

The music is MUCH closer to the arcade in the Genny/MD than the Snes.
The voice samples on the MD are ... yeah.. a bit grainny, but at least they FOLLOW the arcade version. Just with less quality. In the other hand, the Snes samples are simply ridiculous. The samples are pitched depending on what button you press while I.E. doing an Hadouken...

I still loved the hell out of it on my Snes, but the Mega Drive version of SF2CE kills the Snes anyday of the week. For much as I love the Snes controller, it sucks balls to play that game. Plus, it plays much faster and smoother on the MD.

As far as SF2CE goes, I'd rank it as MD>PCE>SNES.

As for the following Super Street Fighter II, the SNES totally destroys the Sega version in almost every single way.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Super on the SNES was great. I learned my shenanigans there.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not crazy about the SNES port of super. It feels more like turbo with extra characters, it doesn't really have the same feel as the arcade game. The earlier ports feel closer to the arcade game.

That's not to say it was bad though. I played the shit out of it back in the day when I didn't have the luxury of playing the real board.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's 'cause you can play it at ST speed. Super CPS2 plays at CE CPS1 speed.

As for Genny CE, I think it plays way faster than SNES.

When all is said and done any SF game on SNES would most definitely be vastly inferior to the arcade, resolution alone is obvious but beyond that, gravity and speed have always been an issue.